Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 29, 2016, 10:35   #11
t4nk
Adept

t4nk is on a distinguished road
Bad items truly suck, but what I really hate is "{tried}". Fortunately, there is an option to disable it.
While playing, it occured to me that the cursor and 'r'ecall should work on overview map (the 'M' command). There was even, I think, a ticket, to make the main map (term_screen) zoom out when using TARGET_LOOK, but it would be better and simpler if overview map just was interactive (that's not a feature request for 3.a.0 it's what I should probably do at some point...)
t4nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2016, 17:48   #12
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
"Angband is a community game - if someone puts out something claiming to be Angband and the community accepts it, then that's what it is". Good to see it's finally happened
How am I supposed to argue with that? You are far too reasonable.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2016, 20:22   #13
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
How am I supposed to argue with that? You are far too reasonable.
The beauty of it is, I don't have to spend time trying to argue with you now
Old December 7, 2016, 12:28   #14
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I'd like to try this out now, but I am on a Mac and have no coding/hacking skills. :-/

Is it runnable through Mac's Terminal?
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2016, 07:37   #15
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Hi, I'm running in an extremely time- and bandwidth-limited environment at the moment. I would really love to have EddieBand played as the next comp starting ASAP, but I'm not going to be able to run/compile the stuff in this thread and figure out how to make a decent comp-ready savefile (with appropriate birth-options etc.) anytime soon.

Are there any volunteers to create such a savefile? Otherwise we'll probably delay an EddieBand comp until such time that I can sit down in someplace civilized and do the tinkering.
Old December 8, 2016, 15:24   #16
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Are there any volunteers to create such a savefile? Otherwise we'll probably delay an EddieBand comp until such time that I can sit down in someplace civilized and do the tinkering.
I could create a savefile easily enough, but it would make more sense for someone else to do it. Monster Memory is not an issue, since everybody gets perfect MM. I would recommend killing Maggot before making the savefile, so that people have no incentive to restart repeatedly until they get a good Maggot drop.

There are lots of choices. Hard as possible or easy as possible? Easy as possible might still be harder than 4.0 for all I know. Emphasize the figure-out-restores-by-using-them mechanic or deemphasize that? Which spell realm? I separated the spell realms to remove most overlap. E.g. priestly casters do not get blink, which makes shoot-and-scoot more difficult for them.

You might want to wait until someone posts a winner and ask their opinions.
Old December 8, 2016, 17:36   #17
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Can we do something more melee-oriented that emphasizes whatever changes to the ID game were made? Don't worry about the maggot thing, people rarely take the competitions that seriously.
Old December 8, 2016, 17:52   #18
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I'd say aim for something reasonably "middle of the road", which probably means a human/half-elf/half-orc rogue or paladin.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2016, 17:57   #19
t4nk
Adept

t4nk is on a distinguished road
How about human warrior. Ironman, all other options default.
t4nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2016, 17:59   #20
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Can we do something more melee-oriented that emphasizes whatever changes to the ID game were made? Don't worry about the maggot thing, people rarely take the competitions that seriously.
Maybe a dwarf paladin would be good with default point-based stats. Healing items don't compare to what most people are used to, so paladin would mitigate that. Classes are better differentiated if you play with birth_fewer_slots or whatever I called it. You'd need a policy on easiness options, the most obvious being don't allow any.

There are no gain-1-lose-1 potions, so if you want more blows before the end game use birth_higher_stats.

I'm utterly hardcore, typically play ironman with fewer slots, but that might be extreme even for a comp.

[edit] most importantly, do not play a kobold, there are too many cure poison items it cannot learn