Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 20, 2016, 18:09   #11
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
One fix to healing+smart spellcasting is to make it "heal other" only. The smart healer monster will then be healing his comrades and the player will need to take him out, but the healer would be unable to heal himself, so it could be done. The advantages of this change is that it makes some monsters different from others (healers help their allies, even if they are not strong themselves), influences player tactics (kill order matters), and doesn't require adding mana or some other check to avoid invincible monsters.

Why can't he heal himself? I don't know. Magic or something.
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2016, 10:00   #12
Sky
Adept

Sky is on a distinguished road
i would be ok with that if you finally allow the player to do what mobs can, but @ can't - shoot THROUGH enemies.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016, 21:18   #13
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
i would be ok with that if you finally allow the player to do what mobs can, but @ can't - shoot THROUGH enemies.
Ball spells shoot through/past enemies just fine, just like monster ball spells (including breaths, at least before they became cones). Monster bolt spells still require a clear path to shoot.
Beam spells also go through enemies.

Or are you talking about launchers/ammo? Maybe have "piercing" ammo or launcher egos that cause shots to beam like bolt spells do on a critical, or even let shooters have a chance to beam and hit all enemies in a line. Extra shots could be converted into a big increase in the beam chance.
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016, 22:41   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@EpicMan--
The last thing that V needs is to be made easier. Piercing shots ala ToME are ridiculously overpowered.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016, 23:23   #15
Sky
Adept

Sky is on a distinguished road
Orcs and zephyrs have no problem shooting through their teammates. And frankly, i dont agree with this "stahp making V easier". You guys have far more experience and have forgotten what's it like to go "ooh right .. gelugons breath shards..." and lose YET another CL40 character to some noob mistake; if V is so damn easy, where's my legit wins?
Now, between this and 3.a, i think you want to turn V into an exercise in top-tier skill, that only powerdiver can beat. Personally, i welcome *most* of the new changes (i miss cursed items) and i think it's made the game much more enjoyable.. if anything, because my characters actually get to live a bit longer.

And by the way, i really dont like orcs running away from me - how do they KNOW im CL49? Do i have a big sign over my head?
To them i'm just an elf, i could be CL1 for all they know.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016, 23:32   #16
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
if V is so damn easy, where's my legit wins?
We have given you plenty of advice, but you insist on playing at a glacial pace that means your odds of making a mistake before reaching the endgame approach 99%. If you want to win without cheating, you are going to have to change your playstyle drastically; it is simply abysmally-suited to achieving success. Plenty of other new players have ramped up on the game in its current state and learned to win -- just look at Grotug, for example.

Hounds breathe, which is either a ball spell equivalent or a conic breath that hits their allies; either way, it's not an arrow. Show me orc archers that are shooting at you despite their allies physically blocking them and I'll believe you on that front, but I personally haven't seen it in ages. Indeed, even in the 2.8.x days, orcs and the like couldn't shoot through their allies; they'd just actually shoot their allies instead, so e.g. a pack of Novice Rangers (or Black Orcs, or Uruks) could easily be whittled down by just lining them up in a corridor and letting them shoot each other.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2016, 04:06   #17
Carnivean
Swordsman

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Orcs and zephyrs have no problem shooting through their teammates
Bands work together in real life, so shooting past your team mate is easily done, but shooting into a band to target high priority targets is not. Most bands would be actively protecting the high priority targets. Angband dumbs that down, but it has to.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2016, 04:17   #18
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@sky--
Do dive faster. The game is more fun that way, never mind that it's easier.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2016, 20:52   #19
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
As the others have mentioned, the best way to avoid losing CL40 characters to noob mistakes is to lose CL20 characters to them. The key to diving is that when you feel comfortable at a certain dungeon level, you should clearly go deeper. If you feel uncomfortable, then you should clearly go deeper, because it can hardly get any worse.

I recommend putting your characters on the Ladder. It's where I got a lot of the advice that allowed me to win the game for the first time.

The game isn't particularly hard, you just need the right mentality. Read Tales of the Bold Rogue some time, it's full of revelations. Some of which are common knowledge these days, of course, but what's probably the most important is the mentality.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2016, 22:56   #20
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I'm very confused. What are ?create traps used for? Thought this was similar in usefulness to ?confusion or ?darkness....

Last edited by Grotug; December 23, 2016 at 23:25.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote