Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 4, 2017, 23:04   #11
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I don't remember why, (I remember now, I bought a wand of magic missile and MB2), but I didn't have enough gold to buy more than one ?phase, so I ran out and was bouncing around in a small room, never phasing out of the room. Sometimes I phase out of a corridor into another nearby room that is unreachable, but not this time.

Anyway, I died again on the first DD level since I got careless around dark hounds. I had fried a bunch of them with my armor, and figured there weren't any left, but more came along and kept blinding me but weren't doing much damage so I tried to run away but something incanted terribly and I died.

Last edited by Grotug; January 4, 2017 at 23:12.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2017, 23:28   #12
Monkey Face
Adept

Monkey Face is on a distinguished road
Mages will die a lot early. The good news is that you haven't invested much time when it happens.

INT = 12 and STR = 8 is definitely the way to go when starting. The only melee weapon you should ever start with is a dagger since everything else weighs more and will slow you down. Plus once you start finding =Escaping it doesn't matter what weapon you use. Upgrade when you find something like Westernesse that has other benefits (although as a gnome you don't need FA).

Early on the only things you should consider melee with are jackals and white mice that haven't been breeding (and maybe fruit bats). Everything else should be MM or ranged weapon.

Mages also shouldn't need to ID by use very much. I usually try to stay in the dungeon until I have enough gold to buy MB3. I drop off anything I haven't ID'd. Then I try to get to CL10 as fast as possible and cast any spells I've learned but haven't had to use to get the experience points which will put me at or close to CL11 where I get Identify. And then it's goodbye to ID by use (at least until Nick takes Identify spell away).
Monkey Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2017, 23:33   #13
Grotug
Knight

I forget I get Experience when I learn spells. I was presently surprised when I gained a level after reading a new spell.

I do drop my stuff off at home sometimes until I get a staff of identify (when I'd play other classes) but I will definitely adopt this strategy for my gnome mage attempts. You main the =Escaping rather than as a swap when needeed? I sometimes will melee things that have one purple health left to save on mana after blasting them with MM and they didn't quite die.
Old January 4, 2017, 23:38   #14
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
You main the =Escaping rather than as a swap when needeed? I sometimes will melee things that have one purple health left to save on mana after blasting them with MM and they didn't quite die.
The speed advantage means that if you have enough space to retreat you can basically outrun anything and regen the necessary SP to get another cast. (This obviously improves a lot when you get Regeneration.)
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2017, 00:07   #15
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@Monkeyface-
Always put points in CON, whatever class you are playing. Better to be down a point in INT than be suffering under 300HP at dl 70.
Edit: And while mages will die early, they won't die 'a lot' if you dive early and fast. They best chance for a mage is to play extreme sniper, killing as few monsters as possible to dl30. Evade like crazy using monster detection, and look for high value targets to snipe with magic devices and bolt spells. Quite possible you'll be below cl20 when you get there, but you will level FAST to make up for it.

Last edited by Pete Mack; January 5, 2017 at 00:15.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2017, 00:10   #16
Grotug
Knight

Well, I learned something else about Angband. Monster's AC affects launcher missiles' miss rate the same as it does melee miss rate. "You see a large brown snake. You have a 12% chance of hitting it in melee, if you can see it." And what if I fire shots from my sling at it? Oh, I see, none of them are hitting because they also have a 12% chance of hitting the large brown snake.

The kobold and mold and mushroom all died readily to my sling's shots, but the large brown snake took over 20 shots and 1 magic missile which always hits.
Old January 5, 2017, 00:12   #17
Grotug
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
@Monkeyface-
Always put points in CON, whatever class you are playing. Better to be down a point in INT than be suffering under 300HP at dl 70.
I look forward to sneaking around at DL70 with less than 300HP. I did fine with low HP as a hobbit ranger (except I was having a little bit of a hard time leveling up).
Old January 5, 2017, 00:13   #18
Monkey Face
Adept

Monkey Face is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
I forget I get Experience when I learn spells. I was presently surprised when I gained a level after reading a new spell.
Just to clarify you get the experience when you cast the spell for the first time, not when you learn it. Also, higher level spells are worth more than lower ones.
Monkey Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2017, 00:48   #19
Grotug
Knight

I guess I was lucky my first few games because this is getting harder and harder. I just died to a louse as a CL3 with max HP of 11.

Wow, 13HP and step on a trap and you die..... I struggle to make it to CL3. Last two games I went from 8HP to 15HP when I reached CL2 yet I still died.

Last edited by Grotug; January 5, 2017 at 01:09.
Old January 5, 2017, 00:48   #20
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Ehh, depends on how facile you are with the class. If you can hit 18/50 INT, then your mage gets substantially more SP and lower failure rates on their spells, which can help the early game an awful lot. The cost is needing to find 4 more potions of Constitution (and 1 less potiont of Intelligence) to get to the same point statwise that the character that invested in CON does. That's not a trivial cost, but it's also not so one-sided that I'd say you're always better off taking CON over INT, for a mage.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote