Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 5, 2017, 01:35   #21
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
grrr... keep dying. The more impatient I get, the more I die.

Last edited by Grotug; January 5, 2017 at 01:51.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2017, 01:55   #22
wobbly
Knight

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I actually like extra str on a mage, not for the melee damage (you're missing anyway unless you carry a lot of buff consumables) but for the carrying capacity
Staves are heavy. Sling ammo is heavy. I tend to use a shooter & phase early. The advantage of not relying on magic missile to fight is your sps stay full for if you suddenly need them in an emergency
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2017, 04:55   #23
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Detecting traps doors stairs, and also frequent detect monsters, is vital. If I remember your HT warrior you had a really low turncount with almost no resting. With the mage you'll need to do a lot more resting, especially before you find an item with regen. Early on Call Light + Find Traps and Doors + Detect Monsters will take a decent chunk of your mana pool, and you want to make sure you are close to topped up before you take on something tough.

Just pick your targets carefully, and don't be afraid to leave areas and entire levels if things get tricky. Use attack wands liberally to save your mana, and remember for monsters in groups, just because you can take down one or two before you run out of mana, it doesn't mean you won't get in trouble when their 8 other friends wake up.

re: rings, escape is a good swap, as is =mouse. Element rings can be nice for softening up targets.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2017, 08:07   #24
Carnivean
Swordsman

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=7590

Ingwe's guide to starting and playing gnome mages.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017, 12:31   #25
Grotug
Knight

Thanks guys for all the tips. Ingwe's is guide is very helpful. And I quite enjoyed Fruede and Freude2's blogged adventures.

I don't suppose a =Teleportation has much use for a mage? I just got MB3 and am CL14 and have 2 staves of teleportation. Not sure if the +2 speed is worth the effect of random teleportation.

So I guess according to Ingwe's guide, I'm ready to dive? I'll be on CL21 when I return to the dungeon. But I also have two ?of DD so I could reenter on DL26.cI think I will read one ?DD and try my luck sneaking around. I also have 4 !speed and 2 mTerror

Think I'm gonna buy the =SI and do some reckless diving.

I assume !Heroism is better than ?Blessing?

Last edited by Grotug; January 6, 2017 at 12:39.
Old January 6, 2017, 13:22   #26
Adam
Rookie

Adam is on a distinguished road
If you don't have SI yet, be careful. Dreads can show up soon. I lost a character just 2 weeks ago on dlev 32 or so because some dreads were just outside of my reveal monsters range and they got between me and the stairs.
I was like 2-3 steps from the stairs and I suddenly saw some "You are hit by something. You feel very week" prompts and died
When I am going for low turncount I always carry tele self and ID staffs even with a mage (staffs and recharge is cheaper than always casting and resting).
I almost never carry !Heroism or ?Blessing? with a mage, i like to use wands instead of bow/sling.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017, 13:47   #27
Grotug
Knight

I do have SI. I bought a ring from the BM.

Yeah, I did just kill a Werewolf with ?blessings and 1 !Berserk Strength using a shortbow. My arrows are doing 5dam a round so maybe I should reconsider my approach.

After I ?DD'd I kept landing on somewhat dangerous levels (especially for my CL16) so I kept taking downstairs whenever I could get to them, not able to kill much on my way down. The last downstairs I just took, landed me in a room with a silent watcher! Immediately my thought was to teleport out of there. But then I saw a rapier and un ID'd wand. And I'm like, if there is an OOD monster in this room, there's a chance one of these items is useful. I saw that the SW was asleep so I tiptoed to the rapier, then the wand. Pick up the wand and guess what it is? You got it! TO baby. So do I TO the SW or just teleport out of there? I decided to Teleport out.

Maybe I should go back to town and see there aren't any wands for sale and not do archery until I find a decent launcher.
Old January 6, 2017, 14:18   #28
Grotug
Knight

Lovely. I was resting up using the macro I setup for reset 5 turns and a black knight came around the corner and killed me.

Well, I'm back at it as Gnome Mage after I tried to melee one of the early brown P uniques. He did 39 damage in one round of melee. Mage sure is bad at shooting arrows. Heroism helps a lot. Going to try to move away from launchers, though, unless I find a good one. Killed Agent of Saruman with three fires of the Magic Wonder wand.

Fragilistic mage. Dies again to level 20 elven lord or something dealing 40 damage in one round of melee.

Last edited by Grotug; January 6, 2017 at 19:41.
Old January 6, 2017, 18:16   #29
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Bad luck that. The macro R5 will always break out when disturbed.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017, 18:21   #30
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
Lovely. I was resting up using the macro I setup for reset 5 turns and a black knight came around the corner and killed me.

Well, I'm back at it as Gnome Mage after I tried to melee one of the early brown P uniques. He did 39 damage in one round of melee. Mage sure is bad at shooting arrows. Heroism helps a lot. Going to try to move away from launchers, though, unless I find a good one. Killed Agent of Saruman with three fires of the Magic Wonder wand.
Wand of Wonder can be very good in the early game. You just need to be ready to run if it produces the haste or clone effects.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote