Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 6, 2017, 22:19   #1
Oraticus
Rookie

Oraticus is on a distinguished road
Bestiary at Angband.oook.cz

It's been a while since I played, but didn't there used to be a bestiary on this site? Did they remove it?
Oraticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017, 22:28   #2
Thraalbee
Swordsman

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Gone. Look at monster.txt instead. Not sure if a replacement is planned but I am working on something that might work out. We'll see
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017, 22:36   #3
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Yes, it got too out of date, and I don't think any replacement is planned. Any replacement replacement would be most welcome.
Old January 7, 2017, 03:25   #4
Oraticus
Rookie

Ah... thanks for the reply. I was afraid that was the answer.

Fortunately, the monster.txt file you suggested shouldn't be to hard to convert into a file that could be imported into a database, or just a spreadsheet for that matter. Don't think I'd be able to do much about the bestiary on the site, though...
Old January 7, 2017, 19:53   #5
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
The bummer is that I think the old bestiary had info for some of the variants too, didn't it?
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017, 14:46   #6
Oraticus
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio_hazard View Post
The bummer is that I think the old bestiary had info for some of the variants too, didn't it?
Yeah, I believe it had info on mobs from many of the variants. Invaluable for a player who hasn't played Angband much (and has yet to win). I know there's a cheat to give full monster memory, but honestly I like collecting the information via encounters. The only problem is that I want to make sure the new and threatening mob I'm encountering won't just blow me out of the water in one shot. I don't mind learning through experience most of the time, but that's often not a very viable tactic in roguelikes where one mistake can mean an instant KO, especially ones that take time like Angband.

The monster.txt file has definitely helped for breath attacks, since the HP is provided in the same entry... "Is that Great Wyrm of Thunder gonna mow me down with it's sound breath?" *clicks keys to calculate breath damage* "Er... oh... best avoid that 'till I have some sound resistance."

It's not as helpful, however, for enemy spells. I can look up the spell damage in monster_spell.txt, but I end up using a large chunk of my game time flipping between docs.

I hope Thraalbee has some luck coming up with a solution.
Old January 9, 2017, 16:43   #7
Sky
Swordsman

Sky is on a distinguished road
well, by reading the monster spoilers you *are* cheating, you might as well make it official. create a character, use wizard mode to know all, then suicide. all characters following will share the full knowledge, but will not be marked as cheaters.

*i think*
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017, 19:51   #8
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
well, by reading the monster spoilers you *are* cheating, you might as well make it official. create a character, use wizard mode to know all, then suicide. all characters following will share the full knowledge, but will not be marked as cheaters.

*i think*
If you're playing Angband 4.0.x, it's easier than that. If you copy monster.txt, rename it lore.txt and stick it in your user directory, you will get full monster lore.
Old January 9, 2017, 22:28   #9
Oraticus
Rookie

Now I'm curious if anyone has ever gone the purist route and filled their monster lore by experience alone, eschewing the site bestiary and cheat options while suffering through the hundreds, if not thousands of deaths that inevitably came along with it. Possibly people who have been playing since near the beginning, when it was a smaller game, but I bet even they've had to look at change notes at some point when certain monster mechanics were changed to prevent getting broadsided by mobs that were previously an inconsequential speed bump. For a new player, this lack of information would probably make the game cripplingly difficult to pick up without turning to external resources like the forums...

If the logical solution to the problem of a lack of in-game knowledge is to "cheat" the info in, either by overwriting lore.txt, using a cheat option or looking up info on an online bestiary, is it possible that "learning" info on Angband monsters is obsolete? Granted, I find it fun to "learn" this info, but it's not a ton of fun to get a 4+ hour game wrecked by the lack of it. Who wants to avoid everything they see because they don't know if it's a one-shot threat?
Old January 9, 2017, 23:43   #10
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Yes. It is feasible if you play 'old school' angband and don't dive prior to stat gain.

EDIT: It's also easier to do this when playing priest, since you get Probing spell fairly early. This pretty much solves the whole problem of lack of monster knowledge.

Last edited by Pete Mack; January 10, 2017 at 01:45.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote