Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 12, 2017, 00:16   #11
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the clarification PD!

Well this is fun. Found a decent sling of buckland earlier (2Xpower and 1X shooting speed) and now just found 13 mithril shots of holy might +32
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2017, 12:40   #12
Grotug
Knight

So I guess you can't ?Recall on DL99 while playing with forced descent. I realized I really should have enchanted some shots of slay evil and then face off with Sauron. As it is I didn't even bring the slay evil shots (let alone the holy might ones). So here I am on DL99 not quite fit for fighting Sauron (!CON are few and far between). But I did find a staff of summoning and brought with me 3 ?Recharging. Drops at DL99 aren't bad. Got 2 !*healing* which is really key if I'm going to face off with Sauron with 750HP. (used up two fighting Charcharoth without rNether). Also got Great Axe of onw which is better damage output than my spear I've been using but it also provides immunity to frost! Yay for precious potions. So my plan is use all the charges in this staff, recharge and repeat, kill what I can, TO what I don't dare, and see how much I can stockpile for the Sauron fight. :P
Old January 12, 2017, 23:04   #13
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
OK, that's a seriously fun option. That said, as a Dwarf Paladin, Sauron should be a patsy, so long as you have a reasonable stack of !restore mana. You have enough HP to fail a try, especially if you're in a circular ASC with hasted speed significantly above 20. You can just back away and attempt heals until you succeed. Near cl 50, Paladin is basically a tank, and unkillable. The class has some of the characteristics of a ranger: weak early, and overwhelming late.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2017, 10:29   #14
Grotug
Knight

I eventually got overwhelmed by his summons. I did pick up a staff of the magi from a drop which was pretty darn helpful, but between him teleporting away, crazy summons, and healing himself I eventually ran out of resources to kill him. Basically, my problem was I couldn't melee him and whenever I'd run out of shots I'd have to teleport away or teleport him away and by the time I had collected my shots and found him again he'd gain 20% HP. I had swapped out my "Weaponmastery for "Devotion which was just dumb, because I lost sustains on CON and STR and rDisenchant.

Was a fun drawn out fight, though. The level was crawling with nasties by the end. I eventually ran out of TOs on my wand (35 at start of level) despite having 5 rods of TO. It got to the point that every room had several top tier enemies or Uniques.

By the time I did finally decide I was gonna melee him with Aiglos and hope he wouldn't disenchant a weapon I wasn't using (onw) he did a crazy burst of summons and was surrounded by monsters, including master Q. Master Q summoned me to him so I was able to TO him, but I still wasn't able to get at Sauron and eventually he got me with a mana blast.
Old January 13, 2017, 16:11   #15
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I would have just gone for melee from the start, with Eonwe. The disenchantment is a pain, sure, but artifacts have a good chance to resist being disenchanted, he probably won't do anything worse than take a few points of AC away from you, and even if he does hurt your weapon you only have one fight left after this one. Fighting in melee means reducing the options for Sauron to summon since he'll have less room to play with. And the paladin's strongest feature is their ability to tank damage in melee.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2017, 18:06   #16
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
What Derakon said. Even if you don't use an ASC, find a tight space in a hallway where his summons won't have so much effect. Also: use the recharge spell in holy infusions. It'll work fine on wands of teleport other.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2017, 22:50   #17
Grotug
Knight

There actually were a couple Holy Infusions lying around the level. I was using most of my mana for healing. Yeah, I guess I should have switched to melee when Sauron had **** left. It was fun trying to kill stuff without melee, but yeah, it got pretty out of hand.