Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 12, 2017, 16:20   #21
unic
Rookie

unic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean View Post
4.05 Nightlies
Is there a big difference between the nightlies and the released version of 4.05?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean View Post
3.a (Powerdiver version of 3.0)
I'm not familiar with this one, where can I find out more information?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
If you want to see the (many) changes from 3.0.9 to 3.5.1 go to the releases page at rephial - each release page has a description of the changes.
Yeah, I did have a quick look through the change logs, but that was a lot of information and hard to get an overview of what was minor changes and what was more significant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
... or ToME 2.3.5. That is to say the version before I, personally, completely ruined it.
Oh, I didn't know there was later ToME 2 versions than .3.5? Again, where can I find more information? (And windows binaries? I don't think I'd feel confident compiling my own.) Vanilla, Tome 2, (s)Cth and NPP are probably the variants I've sunk the most time into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts on this - apologies to the OP for kind of hijacking the thread
No problem - I pretty much got my answer in the first few posts anyhow (2.8.3, 3.0, latest, maybe 3.0.a).
unic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2017, 20:01   #22
Sky
Adept

Sky is on a distinguished road
i'm playing the last nightly and its completely different. cursed items are back, but, you can easily unwield them.

speaking of which, are items of identify supposed to not spawn? i've been scumming the town for staves / scrolls of identify, and there's none in 20+ scums.
they were there when i started the character, but none have shown since.

Also, not sure why, but scrolls of identify do not work on wands, staves, etc. they only identify weapons.

the black market is now happy to spawn 12+ of items such as *heal, acquire, !dex, banish, etc each refresh.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2017, 20:12   #23
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Regarding 3.a, it's just what I play personally, released in hopes stuff in it would at least spark a discussion of ideas people could actually see fully implemented.

I detest many of the changes that have been made since 3.0. I called 3.1 "unplayable" when it came out. I gave up trying to influence things around 3.3, and just left and played by myself. 3.a is the culmination of years of adding changes when I felt like it, with no real plan. Much of it was done while my wife was dying of cancer, and I didn't put much effort into worrying how other people would find it.

I designed it to keep as close to 3.0 sensibilities as possible, aiming at automating the annoying things about playing an ironman warrior. I also eliminated everything abusable I could. I made changes that truly differentiated the classes.

The biggest deal is symmetric LOS, which nobody who has commented on it has even mentioned. For people who didn't play ironman games using classes without identify spell, the biggest gameplay difference is forced id-by-use of consumables. There are easiness options I added late that don't fully work that should help mitigate your annoyance a bit if you need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unic View Post
I'm not familiar with this one, where can I find out more information?
Look at http://angband.oook.cz/forum/search....archid=2204018

The threads with 3.a and "What Eddie Plays" have most of what I have written about it. You should also look at comp 198 stuff.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2017, 21:22   #24
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
speaking of which, are items of identify supposed to not spawn? i've been scumming the town for staves / scrolls of identify, and there's none in 20+ scums.
they were there when i started the character, but none have shown since.

Also, not sure why, but scrolls of identify do not work on wands, staves, etc. they only identify weapons.
ID is completely different in the nightlies. We have adopted "rune-based" ID, which basically means that once you know an object "rune" (a property like free action, or + to stealth, or resist fire, or slay demon, or whatever) you always recognise it.

Runes can be learned either by noticing it on your gear, or by reading a ?Identify (there are no staves any more) which will give you one new rune.

Consumables must be ID'd by use. All scrolls and potions and most devices are ID'd on a single use; the only exceptions are devices which act directly on monsters (Sleep Monster, etc), which are ID'd when used on a monster.
Old February 12, 2017, 21:28   #25
Sky
Adept

but, is it normal that ?identify does not spawn in the market? because i'm pretty sure i saw some when i started, but now can't find any, and i've scummed enough to know this is a fact.
Old February 12, 2017, 21:39   #26
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
but, is it normal that ?identify does not spawn in the market? because i'm pretty sure i saw some when i started, but now can't find any, and i've scummed enough to know this is a fact.
It doesn't appear in the Alchemy Shop or the Temple; like anything else, it can appear in the Black Market.
Old February 12, 2017, 22:43   #27
Sky
Adept

i *really* hope there's no potion of ruination anymore, since now potions are id by use only ...
Old February 13, 2017, 00:37   #28
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
i *really* hope there's no potion of ruination anymore, since now potions are id by use only ...
Ruination, Detonations, and Death were all removed quite some time ago, specifically because they made it lethally foolhardy to drink un-ID'd potions.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2017, 04:32   #29
Carnivean
Swordsman

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by unic View Post
Is there a big difference between the nightlies and the released version of 4.05?
The others all got answered, but not this one. 4.05 is a bugfix version of 4.0, which itself is a code only change to 3.5.1. No gameplay changes was the plan for 4.0, though a few minor ones made it in by 4.05. So 3.5 > 4.05 should be basically the same game.

The 4.05 nightlies are a test bed for features that Nick is planning for 4.1, such as Rune ID (where you learn a rune once, then any other items with that rune you can see without IDing more), conic breath attacks, and a reworking of traps and searching. They're basically stable at this point, though check the forums for bug threads.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2017, 08:25   #30
Sky
Adept

i gotta say, i love the new dungeon design. i barely escaped alive, all my gear gone, from recalling down and finding myself in the middle of the huge-ass cave thing, with mobs awakening left and right and no charges in the staff of teleport.