AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 20, 2019, 16:23   #201
Adam
Adept

Adam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Uniques certainly shouldn't be immune to trampling, otherwise you'd have the weird situation of e.g. Mughash preventing a Horned Reaper from reaching you.
I read such a story years ago on Let's play archive which I found funny (I don't know if those monsters did change since then or not)
https://lparchive.org/Angband/Update%2040/

"Sauron, the Sorcerer summons his servants.
Yikes. We got Ungoliant, the Unlight, Omarax, the Eye Tyrant, and...Golfimbul the Hill Orc Chief

Ungoliant and Sauron are a nasty, nasty combination. For that matter, Omarax is pretty nasty too. We throw up some doors to buy time...and then discover something amusing:
Omarax can't push past weaker monsters! Neither can Ungoliant! They're both stuck behind a hill orc whose most notable achievement is getting his head whacked off by Bullroarer the Hobbit! Meanwhile, Golfimbul has zero interest in moving closer to us; we outlevel him so badly that he's automatically afraid of us. "
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2019, 21:08   #202
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
I was having a hard time killing a mature multihued dragon. I had gotten it down to half health when I had to flee (_Teleport). There were other lesser multihued dragons I was fighting at the same time as well. At some point during the fight, mirkwood spiders joined the fray, putting webs everywhere.

When I finally returned to finish off the dragons, the mature one was stuck in a web. I was able to melee him without taking any damage. It was kinda cool that it got stuck, but its complete helplessness seemed like a bug to me. I guess I can see a baby dragon getting stuck and being helpless, but it's a bit odd that such a powerful dragon becomes completely incapacitated by a mirkwood spider web. Now, if it was a web spun by Shelob or Ungoliant, I can see a mature dragon getting stuck (and even an Ancient dragon in Ungoliant's case) but for a mature dragon to get stuck in a web spun by a mirkwood spider? That doesn't feel right. Of course, having different web types based on nastiness of the spider that spun them would be a lot of programming work, but I think it would go a long way for immersion and verisimilitude!
Thank you, that was a bug. Spiders can just walk through webs, some monsters (notably insects ) get stuck in them, and most monsters clear them the same way as players, so it takes a turn. But I had forgotten to give that to dragons. I guess at least it wasn't Ancalagon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
Some of the new monster colors don't make complete sense to me. I know there isn't really a system of colors for what can poison, but I've sort of learned that orange and green are colors that often poison. With the new colors, I don't feel there is any rhyme or reason to what monsters poison in melee and what doesn't.
IIRC the only ones I've changed are the player class-like ones ('p's and a few 'h's), so they're:
  • Warrior - brown
  • Mage - light blue
  • Druid - light green
  • Priest - yellow
  • Necromancer - pink
  • Paladin - white
  • Rogue - dark blue
  • Ranger - dark green
  • Blackguard - dark grey
The aim is for the main casters to be similar colours to the books they use, and then the half-casters from that realm to be kind of a shade off that (although necros/blackguards are a bit different from that, but 'black' seems right for blackguards). Hope that makes sense.
Old March 21, 2019, 01:36   #203
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
The new colours for mages just don't make sense to me - neither the spellbooks or the monster. The others do, though. I would really like to have the red back, especially cos we've lost all the names of the old mage books.
Old March 21, 2019, 02:42   #204
MWGE
Scout

MWGE is on a distinguished road
I must admit, of all the changes it's the colours that are really throwing me off. I don't "get" them.
The rest I'm either happy about or wholly neutral on, and that's fine of course.
But if I had one "please put it back" plea...it would be this.
MWGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2019, 09:22   #205
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Yeah change back the colors. Makes no sense to have new colors. Also what makes no sense is having classes using the same realm and different books, it's really confusing to find a nature book and not being about to use it because it's not for druid but for rangers. Now that books can hold different spells for different classes, it would be nice to find generic names for them so each class of the realm can use them with their own spells.
Old March 21, 2019, 12:34   #206
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
OK, so I think monster colours can be reverted straightforwardly, with necromancers (who used to be kind of mages) being pink and druids (who used to be kind of priests) I guess yellow.

So then nature books become yellow, and we can rename so that half-casters use a subset of full casters' books. And we can rethink the names so at least some of the old ones come back.

How does that sound?
Old March 21, 2019, 16:13   #207
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Reducing the number of books sounds like a good thing to me, from a "too much junk" perspective if nothing else.

While I do think that mages work best as red (for difficult-to-articulate reasons), I can also definitely see an argument for druids being green. Maybe priests could be blue? We'd need to move rogues away from that, but that's easy: they're the stealthy class, they should be dark grey instead of blackguards. That would suggest a color list like this:
  • Warrior - brown
  • Mage - red
  • Druid - light green
  • Priest - dark blue
  • Necromancer - pink
  • Paladin - light blue
  • Rogue - dark grey
  • Ranger - dark green
  • Blackguard - light grey
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2019, 20:40   #208
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Also what makes no sense is having classes using the same realm and different books, it's really confusing to find a nature book and not being about to use it because it's not for druid but for rangers.
Quoting to express support for this.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2019, 21:17   #209
Chud
Swordsman

Chud is on a distinguished road
Another small observation on necros... I see they have a spell failure rate penalty when standing in the light, but also that goes away as you level up. Currently, my failure rate for low level spells doesn't change anymore based on the light (4% either way, CL16 and INT 18/50), though higher level spells still show the penalty.

This makes sense I suppose, as you level up and get more skilled, but it also reduces the differentiation of the necromancer class. I'd prefer to keep the uniqueness, I think, and always have a meaningful penalty in the light -- maybe same as you get when stunned? (Your status line could say "Migraine"... :-) )

Just a thought, in the interest of keeping the classes as distinct as possible.
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2019, 21:53   #210
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty sure that 4% is the minimum failure rate when at 18/50 INT. So what's going on here is that the game calculates a failure rate based on your level, the spell's difficulty, your INT, and any relevant modifiers (like being stunned, poisoned, or in this case, standing in the light). It then makes sure that your actual failure rate is not lower than your stat-defined minimum.

In other words, you're high-enough level that when casting simple spells, your failure rate "should" be below 4%, even when standing in the light. But since your INT is only 18/50, your failure rate must be at least 4%.

I guess the standing-in-light penalty could apply after the stat-based minimum is applied. I don't really have an opinion on this -- haven't played necromancers yet.

I do think it's a good idea to have a status bar line to tell the player "Hey, you're standing in the light, and that's significant for you."
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote