Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
"You have nothing to identify."

This happened to me yesterday:

You have nothing to identify.
The hill orc hits you.

... and I thought, hey, wait a minute, surely I shouldn't waste a turn if there isn't anything to ID. It seems to me the same as "There's a wall in the way!" and "You are too afraid to attack the foo!", neither of which wastes a turn. But "You have nothing to identify" (and also "you have nothing to enchant") do.

I've looked at the code, and it's non-trivial to change this, so I thought I'd see what everybody else thought before embarking on it.

On a related note, cancelling out of item selection should also not take a turn, but as far as I can tell, it does. I've never had hard proof of this though, so I may have failed to understand the code. IMO neither aborting the ID at item selection nor having nothing to ID should cost you a turn.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 18:31   #2
Nolendil
Adept

Donated: 10 euro
Nolendil is on a distinguished road
I didn't know that it used one turn and I share your point of view.
That's not a big deal if you can't fix it as I only use Id when I'm safe.
Nolendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 18:36   #3
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
It seems to me that it would be easy to make it not take a turn, just change the part in do_cmd_read_scroll() so that "take a turn" comes after the reading of the scroll, like this:
Code:
	/* Read the scroll */
	used_up = use_object(o_ptr, &ident);

/* Take a turn */
	if (used_up) p_ptr->energy_use = 100;
Did I miss something?

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 19:00   #4
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
I agree that not IDing something shouldn't take a turn. It doesn't even consume the charge on the staff or whatever.
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 19:05   #5
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
Did I miss something?
Yeah - spells, staves, rods, artifact activation.

I think it needs some surgery on get_item.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 19:25   #6
Marble Dice
Swordsman

Marble Dice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
So the other day I was unnecessarily reading Identify scrolls while standing adjacent to a horde of hostile orcs.
Fixed that for you. If that's not good game testing, I don't know what is.

I concur, this would be a good change.
Marble Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 19:38   #7
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This happened to me yesterday:

You have nothing to identify.
The hill orc hits you.

... and I thought, hey, wait a minute, surely I shouldn't waste a turn if there isn't anything to ID. It seems to me the same as "There's a wall in the way!" and "You are too afraid to attack the foo!", neither of which wastes a turn. But "You have nothing to identify" (and also "you have nothing to enchant") do.

I've looked at the code, and it's non-trivial to change this, so I thought I'd see what everybody else thought before embarking on it.

On a related note, cancelling out of item selection should also not take a turn, but as far as I can tell, it does. I've never had hard proof of this though, so I may have failed to understand the code. IMO neither aborting the ID at item selection nor having nothing to ID should cost you a turn.

The interpretation is that you take a turn reading the scroll, and then there is nothing for the magic to act upon. Like zapping a rod of drain life at an adjacent wall. Just be glad the scroll doesn't disintegrate the way they usually do when you read them!

Consider the case when you read an unaware scroll of banishment and quit out without selecting a monster. You gain awareness. Surely that should cost a turn.

It used to be that a failed attack due to fear cost you a turn. I requested a change, but did not know that made it into dev yet.

Canceling item selection does not take a turn, and I don't remember that it ever did.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 20:25   #8
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
If you want to make this impossible, the right approach is to modify the selection hook so that when you press 'r', the code checks your surroundings for something to be identified [should be a preexisting function for that], and if there is nothing to identify the scroll of identify is not considered a valid selection.

It might only be a few lines of code, or it might be messy, I don't know. It might also be confusing to people who wonder why they cannot figure out how to read their identify scroll.
Old May 28, 2009, 20:27   #9
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
Canceling item selection does not take a turn, and I don't remember that it ever did.
I now think I misunderstood you. Pressing 'r' and then canceling does not cost a turn. If you 'r' on a scroll of identify, and then cancel before selecting the item to id, that does cost a turn.
Old May 28, 2009, 23:16   #10
Donald Jonker
Knight

Donald Jonker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
The interpretation is that you take a turn reading the scroll, and then there is nothing for the magic to act upon. Like zapping a rod of drain life at an adjacent wall. Just be glad the scroll doesn't disintegrate the way they usually do when you read them!
This seems inconsistent. Either the magic is consumed or it isn't. You read the scroll or you don't. Another interpretation of events would be that your player checks your inventory for unID'd items prior to actually reading the scroll. Then the non-use of a turn would make sense.

Quote:
Consider the case when you read an unaware scroll of banishment and quit out without selecting a monster. You gain awareness. Surely that should cost a turn.
You could make a special case of awareness-gaining taking a turn. But there doesn't seem to be any good reason why gaining awareness on ?phase should consume a scroll and gaining it on ?ID shouldn't. I don't know that there is a consistent, expedient way of handling it. Maybe force the player to choose an inventory item to ID/monster to banish in order to gain awareness. In the latter case it would be dangerous/wasteful, however.