Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 19, 2019, 02:40   #21
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounded View Post
One question... using Shockbolts tiles (Windows version via WINE on Ubuntu) the Assorted Blacklocks and Stonefoots? "Stonefeet!" are still looking like Drow. Is there a way to tweak this to the new Dwarf tiles for the non-technically inclined (ie. UI or simple text edit in a file)?
OK, looks like Shockbolt and I both missed that - there are no new dwarf tiles.

Nice start to 4.2.0 bug discovery
Old August 19, 2019, 12:46   #22
Huqhox
Adept

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Late to the party as ever but I would like to add my thanks to Nick and everyone else who contributed
Old August 19, 2019, 18:11   #23
Bill Peterson
Apprentice

Bill Peterson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bill Peterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Or you can find it here.
I did look there first and wasn't satisfied with the paladin description. I had just wasted precious low level money on the second town prayer book and wanted a more detailed look at the paladin casting abilities.

I will say that the way you all have organized the source code is vastly superior to previous versions. Having the .txt files rather than putting the information in .h and .c files is brilliant.
Bill Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2019, 18:22   #24
Bill Peterson
Apprentice

Bill Peterson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bill Peterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounded View Post
Loving this new version. The food varieties especially are creating a great ambience.

One question... using Shockbolts tiles (Windows version via WINE on Ubuntu) the Assorted Blacklocks and Stonefoots? "Stonefeet!" are still looking like Drow. Is there a way to tweak this to the new Dwarf tiles for the non-technically inclined (ie. UI or simple text edit in a file)?
Look at the file xtra-shb.prf in the lib/tiles/shockbolt directory. Once you figure out how they index into the .png image you can make changes.
Bill Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2019, 22:34   #25
olivertheorem
Rookie

olivertheorem is on a distinguished road
Many thanks for all the work you've put in, Nick! Downloading now!
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2019, 23:15   #26
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road

As a lvl12 dwarf paladin with 13 Wisdom, the duration of my heroism prayer is, apparently, given by the roll of a die with -2 faces. When I cast it, nothing happens and the fabric of reality stays as usual.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2019, 23:22   #27
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post

As a lvl12 dwarf paladin with 13 Wisdom, the duration of my heroism prayer is, apparently, given by the roll of a die with -2 faces. When I cast it, nothing happens and the fabric of reality stays as usual.
The behaviour is correct - paladins only get the heal and remove fear bit at first, and the actual heroism effect kicks in at level 15 - but the duration does look a bit silly.
Old August 19, 2019, 23:54   #28
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Very late congrats on this release! I haven't really played much with the recent dev versions so most of these changes will be new to me.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019, 06:11   #29
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
The behaviour is correct - paladins only get the heal and remove fear bit at first, and the actual heroism effect kicks in at level 15 - but the duration does look a bit silly.
This feels weird to me; spells shouldn't have negative durations and I expect newbies will have trouble figuring out that the spell still has utility even if it doesn't confer a temporary buff. Hell, I might wonder if casting Heroism with no duration would still do anything.

I suggest making the minimum duration be, say, 3 turns. Not long enough to be really useful but not so short that it's inconceivable that it would be helpful.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2019, 00:21   #30
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Loving it so far, just a few points...

I) The description for the wand of darkness says it does damage, but I'm not sure it does. Certainly doesn't beam like the graphics show (as in the darkness beams but the damage doesn't, if at all).
II) If I use a wand of disable traps on a trap I am told it is disarmed. But the image is unchanged (using Shockbolt) and if I then walk over it I am told again that I have just disarmed it. Again.
III) Is the dungeon darker than it used to be? Obviously the light mechanics have changed recently, but it just seems that there are fewer lit rooms in the early dungeon. This makes the torch-bearing times quite a chore. I might be wrong here, of course; it could just be an imagined effect of the new mechanics.
IV) I absolutely adore the Shockbolt graphics. However, the addition of background colour has made the monsters much harder to determine at 2x1 size - a problem /I never had before. But this might just be me.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote