Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 26, 2014, 06:12   #41
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
I have a lot less fun playing with Detect Objects than Detect Treasure. In my mage-playing experience, the mage is motivated to avoid vaults that have one-shots in them until Banish-all-the-things or 0%-fail-TO is online (depending on which one-shotters are non/unique). Mages' low hitpoint total and lack of reliable non-consumable healing makes them heavily reliant on !Healing, !*Healing* (and also !Restore Mana, and !Experience because of their difficulty with many fights) , but without access to Detect Treasure, they can't target those consumables in dungeon dives. Slipping up and having to expend consumables is extra costly for a mage for this reason. Further, a mage relative to other characters is more-often forced to expend a good consumable (!Healing and !*Healing* for the most part, sometimes !Restore Mana) because of his slimmer instagib margins and lack of non-consumable 0%-fail heals.

tl;dr In my games I find that not having access to Detect Treasure incentivizes me to play even more cheesily to make up for mages' reduced access to and increased reliance on consumables.

Last edited by krazyhades; February 26, 2014 at 06:38.
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2014, 15:52   #42
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Hm, I don't recall my mages being especially heavy on the consumables use, except for Restore Mana which is generally fairly available. Just don't stand in melee, ever. None of your attacks have a range of zero so the only reason to not use Shoot 'n Scoot is if you're afraid of what you might teleport next to -- which speaks to bad local "terrain" and/or pre-fight preparation.

Also, don't underestimate the attack wands, especially Dragon's Flame and Dragon's Frost. They can go a long way to extending your combat performance before you get Raal's Tome.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2014, 16:08   #43
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Mages shouldn't need too much !healing. A staff, combined with paranoia and choosing targets carefully will help. Restore Mana is only necessary if you have to kill something badly, and quick. !Experience is completely unnecessary.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2014, 16:19   #44
WanderingBard2014
Rookie

WanderingBard2014 is on a distinguished road
I love that my innocent intro thread is not only yielding lots of good information for me, but inspiring friendly debate among all you veterans. Next question, for anyone with the time and inclination to answer: What does the item description for the Scroll of Acquirement mean? Does it drop weapons or armor, or just generic items? If it does drop weapons and armor, is there an upper limit to what it can drop? For the matter of that, are there any outside factors that influence the "goodness" of the drop (CL, DL when read, etc)?
WanderingBard2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2014, 16:57   #45
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Dungeon level is the only outside influence (the deeper, the better, obviously; but don't wait too long or the next fire breather wil turn it into smoke). You can get any ego armor or weapon or even an artifact (I don't know if other items can be created, I think I always got weapon or armor).
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2014, 17:14   #46
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
There is this phase when I feel invincible with priests, when I have....
Heh. The invincible phase. Been there, done that. A lot.

To me the hard to resist thing in that is undead pits. I'm priest, undeads can't hurt me, Right? Right??
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2014, 17:21   #47
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Oh, weird. Well, there's a very good reason to keep the other classes from getting access to that ability: it's cheesy as hell. We want the player to have to weigh the pros and cons of diving into that vault full of nasties without being able to make a fully-informed opinion. If there are no unknowns to exploration, then it ceases being exploring.
In old angband that was solved by not being able to look at things that were not in your actual LoS. Maybe instead of * the object kind could be revealed, but not the exact type (like pointy weapon, polearm, dungeon book, ring, potion). Or not, I'm happy with *. Priest alter reality/clairvoyance combo was really cheesy.
Old February 26, 2014, 17:34   #48
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Also, don't underestimate the attack wands, especially Dragon's Flame and Dragon's Frost. They can go a long way to extending your combat performance before you get Raal's Tome.
Maybe the added damage output from device skill should be in the item descriptions? I just tested, and examining wand of annihilation with mage or warrior shows same damage output. AFAIK device skill does affect that damage output. Or was it in some variant?
Old February 26, 2014, 17:40   #49
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingBard2014 View Post
Next question, for anyone with the time and inclination to answer: What does the item description for the Scroll of Acquirement mean? Does it drop weapons or armor, or just generic items?
from generic items it can create anything that is counted as "good", IE things like dungeon books, rings of speed, for anything you can wear it makes them at least ego. No upper limit, but probabilities are affected by dungeon level (just like normal item creation, if item minimum depth is 1000' it needs to pass out of depth checks if read before 1000').

[edit] added "things like" in generic items.

Last edited by Timo Pietilš; February 26, 2014 at 18:13.
Old February 26, 2014, 17:42   #50
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Maybe the added damage output from device skill should be in the item descriptions? I just tested, and examining wand of annihilation with mage or warrior shows same damage output. AFAIK device skill does affect that damage output. Or was it in some variant?
Yes, it absolutely ought to be in the description; the fact that it isn't makes attack wands look a lot worse. A simple "You get an X% bonus to damage from your device skill" line in the description should suffice.

Mages are amazing at using attack wands. The formula is that you get (device skill - level of wand)% extra damage. So a level-40 mage with 18/200 INT would have a device skill of 99 (neglecting modifiers from race, and assuming I read the code correctly), giving nearly a 40% damage boost to Wands of Annihilation, or 50% to wands of Dragon's Flame/Frost.

Endgame Wands of Annihilation beat out casting Mana Storm when you're fighting Morgoth, assuming you can recharge when he's not in LOS.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
intro, questions, standarts