Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

View Poll Results: Should quality squelch use gp value?
Yes - please make this a development priority for 3.3 5 20.00%
No - just fix DSM squelching and leave things as-is 10 40.00%
No - use NPP's squelch system instead 10 40.00%
No - I have a better idea 0 0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 23, 2011, 10:00   #1
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Squelch by value

Hi all,

There's been a lot of discussion of squelch recently, centred around the problems with DSMs but ranging quite widely. Since squelch doesn't actually destroy anything any more (only hides things), you can always un-squelch something to get it back if you change your mind (while you're still on the same level).

There are two fundamental problems with the existing quality squelch setup:

1. It's dependent on the pseudo-ID categories, which are clunky. "Excellent with no high resists", "excellent but not splendid" etc. We tie ourselves in knots trying to categorise item flags in a sensible and intuitive way (mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive), but two decades after the invention of pseudoID it's still imperfect.

2. Nobody has designed a neat, smooth-scrolling UI which can cater for all permutations of items, and again we've spent years trying to fit it onto a set of single-screen menus. IMO NPP's menus are probably the best, but even those are not so good that they've made it to the top of anybody's patch list for V.

One alternative, which was mentioned deep in another thread recently, is to squelch by value. For each item category (swords, hafted, bows, body armour, shield etc.) you specify a gp amount, below which stuff gets squelched.

This relies on quite a lot of faith in the pricing algorithm, which some people will vote against purely on that basis, but you can always immediately recover something that is squelched which you want to keep. Also, the object_power function has recently been rewritten, and further improvements to pricing can be made quite quickly when people spot anomalies (e.g. X should be worth more than Y).

Just interested to see if there's any sort of consensus that this would be a good way to do quality squelch.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2011, 15:30   #2
Napsterbater
Adept

Napsterbater is on a distinguished road
I think squelch by value is an excellent idea, perhaps you can get around the need to make values visible by defining a few ego categories, one for each phase of the game. And then you could make each individual ego defy the general rule.

So like, you could define something like "early game" which for weapons would include slays and *slays*, maybe holy avenger, too. Then you could squelch that category, but if you wanted to look at the *slays* before you squelch them, you could go into the regular squelch menu and set it to "on drop" which would keep them from being squelched out of your inventory. Then you can go look at it, and if you like it you can inscribe it, and if you don't, you could drop it, upon which game would squelch it.

That way you could work it into ID by use. If you wield a weapon, and you don't see any effects, you know it's a average, good, or a slay, and it gets squelched as soon as you wield another weapon.
Napsterbater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2011, 16:52   #3
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
How about rather than expecting the player to be able to specify values, you have the option to squelch by automatic comparison of values? E.g., you find a ring of slow digestion, the squelch system checks whether you're already wearing two rings that are worth more than slow digestion, and if so, squelches it. You ID a pair of speed boots +4 when you already own a pair with +6? Auto-squelched. Find a weapon that does less damage per turn than your current weapon? Auto-squelch.

I think you'd have to combine it with the option to flag specific abilities/resistances/stat boosts as !k, though, to make sure you could still preserve things of technical 'lesser' value that you might need to plug resistance holes or to allow you to shuffle your gear.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2011, 16:57   #4
Netbrian
Adept

Netbrian is on a distinguished road
Could someone clarify what NPP's squelching system is?
Netbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2011, 17:06   #5
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netbrian View Post
Could someone clarify what NPP's squelching system is?
Well, I wasn't proposing to port the entire system (which still uses purple dots IIRC), but the menu setup for quality squelching is quite sophisticated, allowing you to specify particular egos you want to squelch on particular item types. The point is that it isn't limited to the pseudoID categories we have in V (good, excellent, splendid etc.) so it's an interesting alternative.
Old April 23, 2011, 17:08   #6
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
How about rather than expecting the player to be able to specify values, you have the option to squelch by automatic comparison of values? E.g., you find a ring of slow digestion, the squelch system checks whether you're already wearing two rings that are worth more than slow digestion, and if so, squelches it. You ID a pair of speed boots +4 when you already own a pair with +6? Auto-squelched. Find a weapon that does less damage per turn than your current weapon? Auto-squelch.

I think you'd have to combine it with the option to flag specific abilities/resistances/stat boosts as !k, though, to make sure you could still preserve things of technical 'lesser' value that you might need to plug resistance holes or to allow you to shuffle your gear.
Yes, this is a neat idea. If we were to implement value squelching, one could choose "less than current" instead of specifying a gp threshold. But autoinscriptions are currently tied to base items, so it would be a little bit of work to enable "auto-inscribe anything with rpois". Not impossible though, and probably a good thing to do in any case (regardless of what happens with squelch).
Old April 23, 2011, 18:11   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Ehhh, I don't really like squelch-by-value, in no small part because I'm playing with no-selling all the time now and have no idea what items are worth. Getting a good category-based squelch in would be entirely adequate:

a) squelch this item
b) squelch all Soft Leather Armor of Resist Fire
c) squelch all body armor of Resist Fire
d) squelch all excellent body armor
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2011, 18:21   #8
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Ehhh, I don't really like squelch-by-value, in no small part because I'm playing with no-selling all the time now and have no idea what items are worth. Getting a good category-based squelch in would be entirely adequate:

a) squelch this item
b) squelch all Soft Leather Armor of Resist Fire
c) squelch all body armor of Resist Fire
d) squelch all excellent body armor
But what is "excellent"? Do you want high resists separated? ESP? Hold Life? I take the point that value-squelch is in tension with no_selling, but I'm sceptical about the categories. If you can improve on the current quality categories, please post an alternative (don't feel bound by existing pseudoID, but don't assume there will never be any new items or flags). Otherwise I reckon we'll just separate DSMs and limp onwards, if value squelch is not wanted.
Old April 23, 2011, 19:33   #9
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
"excellent" is "everything but artifacts" in that system. I don't expect it'd get used much for body armor, but for weapons, bows, boots, etc. it's still valid. Everything else you can deal with on a per-ego basis; it's not that much more work to e.g. have to manually squelch each separate Slay Foo subtype than it is to squelch all excellent-but-not-splendid egos.

Though we could of course keep the excellent/splendid differentiation if we wanted to.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2011, 20:21   #10
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
The point of quality squelch is to be able to squelch without identify. That's good vs excellent on pseudo, and splendid vs everything on wield, and artifact vs everything on pickup.

The "without high resists" is a small addition to allow for a few precious egos [permanence e.g.] after id. If you really hate it, take it away, but I don't see how it hurts to have it. A much better solution is to add something to the precious egos to make them splendid, even just lite, but I couldn't get that into V. Takkaria refuses to see that some parts of the game should be designed for squelch, because he would prefer that squelch not be necessary, but perhaps a kidnapping and brainwashing would take care of that.

If you want squelch after identify, then ego squelch has got to be a lot better than value squelch. It is vital that you know exactly what will squelch. At least, it is to me.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote