Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 24, 2014, 13:07   #1
Bogatyr
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 448
Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
YACD - stat gain rogue, some questions

Here's a char dump of a kobold rogue that's reached the beginning of stat gain. I've spent most of my cash over time on stat potions in the black market.

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=15682

This is the second dlev 30 I've reached recently after a solid week of very slow, careful play. First was a high-elf mage who got arrogant and played fast was humbled by a very OOD Bile Demon.

This rogue has got a pretty nice kit so far. An early Narthanc find made the early game pretty easy. With Angrist I get 5 blows/round for nice average damage against pretty much everything (it has slay evil for acid-resistants).

Sneaky almost bought the farm against Scatha on a "you feel anxious" dlev 30 with some juicy vaults. Every weapon is ego it seems and every armor "of resistance." I really wasn't ready to face Scatha, I was heading back for a !ResistCold for a double resistance to take him on when I unexpectedly encountered him in a corridor and he got me down to about 50 HP with a cold breath. That fight took several risky phase doors to win and a bunch of the bolts of slay dragon, not to mention a ton of my !CureCrits. I beat him though in the end, yay.

The thing I'm wondering though is if I should be on the lookout for a better mid- or end-game weapon. What non-artifact weapon would be best for a rogue to keep for when he finishes stat-gain? Right now Angrist beats all other weapons for average damage because of the 5 blows and the =Damage(+9), but perhaps a heavier weapon will do better with more critical hits but lower listed average damage later on? Or should all non-artifact weapons be just tossed aside? What would make you keep a non-artifact weapon over Angrist at this point? I mostly play mages so I'm interested in tactical advice. I like the feel of a good artifact dagger for a rogue for style, however.

Also, with -probing I notice a lot of the tougher monsters can't be slept or confused, but interestingly enough (possible spoiler?) don't say they can't be slowed or frightened. Is slow/scare preferable at deeper depths? I never historically relied much on sleep/confuse/slow/scare at mid-to-late game, but perhaps that has changed and their importance is higher now with 3.5? I'm interested to hear some tactics using those.

Any suggestions appreciated, like I say I mostly play mages.
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2014, 14:15   #2
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogatyr View Post
Any suggestions appreciated, like I say I mostly play mages.
Only suggestion would be to wield that ESP -granting blessed weapon as your primary weapon, and use Angrist only when you want to actually kill something. ESP is life-saver.

I'm also tempted to use Hithlomir instead of Arvedui. Rogues have excellent stealth, and with +3 more makes you nearly undetectable to most sleeping monsters. Almost worth using one of the mouse rings too as swap (just remember to swap back when melee).

Stealth is rogues strong point, use it. Don't aim to kill everything, only monsters with good risk/reward ratio, or monsters that can be killed fast.

Note that all spawned monster are awake and stealth doesn't help against those, so examine each level fast, then change level. Up or down, doesn't matter. Don't use turns to rest unless you have to.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2014, 14:40   #3
Bogatyr
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 448
Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Only suggestion would be to wield that ESP -granting blessed weapon as your primary weapon, and use Angrist only when you want to actually kill something. ESP is life-saver.

I'm also tempted to use Hithlomir instead of Arvedui. Rogues have excellent stealth, and with +3 more makes you nearly undetectable to most sleeping monsters. Almost worth using one of the mouse rings too as swap (just remember to swap back when melee).

Stealth is rogues strong point, use it. Don't aim to kill everything, only monsters with good risk/reward ratio, or monsters that can be killed fast.

Note that all spawned monster are awake and stealth doesn't help against those, so examine each level fast, then change level. Up or down, doesn't matter. Don't use turns to rest unless you have to.
Thanks for the suggestions! Yes I use the ESP weapon when walking around mostly. I did in fact use the mouse ring most of the early game, I should bring it back to my inventory. I'm used to clearing levels, that's a good point about changing up/down more frequently. Thanks!
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2014, 16:47   #4
Bogatyr
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 448
Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogatyr View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! Yes I use the ESP weapon when walking around mostly. I did in fact use the mouse ring most of the early game, I should bring it back to my inventory. I'm used to clearing levels, that's a good point about changing up/down more frequently. Thanks!
OK with some juggling I've achieved "Legendary" stealth, now for some real sneaking around!
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gain one, lose one stat potions bulian Vanilla 14 September 8, 2011 10:08
Advice for stat gain Gollum_Dowie AAR 3 August 28, 2011 12:53
Stat gain potions fizzix Vanilla 2 October 5, 2009 23:21
Stat Gain Larvitz Vanilla 4 February 1, 2009 22:50
YACD: ESP vs. _dEvil, stat gain vorondil Vanilla 1 December 26, 2008 22:16


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.