Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 20, 2014, 23:55   #11
WanderingBard2014
Rookie

WanderingBard2014 is on a distinguished road
Wait... Fifty is the max level?! I was operating under the assumption that it was 99, like many other games. That makes the XP difference seem MUCH less beneficial, except of course as it relates to early-game survival. I may have to consider rolling something else when/if this character dies. I am thinking maybe a half-troll warrior next.
WanderingBard2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014, 00:18   #12
Monkey Face
Adept

Monkey Face is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingBard2014 View Post
Can someone tell me what the whole "item rating messages" thing is about? For example, when I got to the first level with this guy, it told me that I felt like there might be something worthwhile there. I presume it meant the leather gloves I found, since those were rated "excellent" in my pack. But what do these things really mean, in the long run?
The level feelings come in two flavors. The first you'll see as soon as you enter a level and describes the monsters initially on the level. They range from This seems like a quiet peaceful place to Omens of Death haunt this place. The feelings give an indication of how many out of depth monsters and how far out of depth they are.

The second flavor describes the treasures on the level. This ranges from Naught but Cobwebs to Superb Treasures. It is based on both how out of depth the treasures are along with bonuses for high quality items.

Frequently (but not always) the two are somewhat linked. That way high reward comes with high risk. Obviously, if you get Omens of Death along with Naught but cobwebs you probably don't want to hang around that long while if you get a quiet peaceful place with Superb Treasures you want to check the place out.

I'm pretty sure that a fair number of people ignore the level feelings and there is a birth option to turn them off.
Monkey Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014, 00:48   #13
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingBard2014 View Post
Okay, so despite all those bonuses and nifty abilities, High Elves are actually a BAD race to play?
Elves. Not high-elves.

Half-elf and elf take penalty to CON which makes them pretty much useless races.

I don't agree with Derakon with his list putting humans last. Elves are way worse, having smaller hit die and con penalty they are pretty much useless race. Half-elves are nearly as useless, but not quite.

Humans get levels insanely fast, and are not especially bad at anything, just not great at anything either.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2014, 21:56   #14
WanderingBard2014
Rookie

Ok, some new questions now that I have played for a while. Is 3.5 bugged to have scrolls of ID NEVER appear in either the Black Market or the Scroll/Potion shop? I have played multiple characters now, and on not a single visit to either store on any character have I seen even one for sale... It makes me leery of putting on any equipment I find that is listed as "magical", or making use of magic items, when I don't know what they do. Any suggestions?

Also... Smeagol. Is there any way to actually defeat him as a mage? The only spell that I have access to that even impacts him is Spear of Light, and that's minimally. He keeps showing up, robbing me blind, then teleporting away before I can even shave off 10% of his HP, then he heals up before I ever find him again. I eventually rage-quit that character when I realized he had successfully filched over 6k leaving me completely broke, and still having no way to handle him, but I WOULD like to try a mage again at some point, and would like not to be completely shafted again when I do, so any advice is appreciated.
Old February 24, 2014, 22:03   #15
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The Alchemist should stock Scrolls of Identify fairly regularly; you must just be getting unlucky. Realize that the stores restock every 1000 normal-speed turns (as long as you're in the dungeon at the time the restock triggers). This restock isn't a complete refresh; instead the stores sell off some stock and then buy replacements.

As for Smeagol, just avoid him. You can kill him later, when you have enough SP to wear down his massive HP pool. Smeagol is here to teach you the lesson that you should not expect to fight every unique you meet as soon as you meet them. Many of them are much too dangerous at that point; Smeagol is instead borderline unkillable. Fortunately he also can't walk a remotely straight line, so it's fairly easy to stay away from him. Worst case, just leave the level.

Finally, mages are hard to play. Their early game is miserable, and you really need to know what you're doing and what the monsters can do before you should expect to make serious progress with one. If you want to play a caster, consider playing a Priest; once you make it to level 9, the spell Orb of Draining will carry them through much of the game. Until then, a Mace and the spell Bless should suffice to melee the weaker enemies in the dungeon.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2014, 22:09   #16
WanderingBard2014
Rookie

Actually, my mage was coming along really nicely until encountering Smeagol. It was literally like I had hit a brick wall. I have always had a good grasp of tactical things, and managing even the toughest unique I had encountered before him (Bullroarer, for the record) was relatively easy... especially given that this game doesn't seem to penalize you for wearing heavy armor as a mage when it comes to miscast chances (though I had to skip using any gloves if I didn't want to be unable to reliably cast anything... poo). Still, I will definitely take your advice and try a priest. I am guessing that they have to start as melee characters with less hits/turn until they hit level 9?
Old February 24, 2014, 22:16   #17
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Well, that and healing, and bless is handy, a blessed priest is fairly reliable with flasks of oil. If you find mages work for you, you should play them though. For the record, heavy armor makes you lose a lot of SP.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2014, 22:29   #18
Derakon
Prophet

If you wear too heavy armor, as any class, then you'll get a message "The weight of your armor encumbers your movement", which just cuts your max SP based on how much you're over the limit by.

As for Smeagol, he has 400 HP. Bullroarer has 60. I trust you see the problem. Like I said, you're not really meant to kill him when he first shows up.
Old February 24, 2014, 22:39   #19
WanderingBard2014
Rookie

Yeah, that's a HUGE difference. That explains a lot. Another quick question, if you will indulge me... is there anywhere that I can find a full list of possible effects of a wand/spell of Wonder? I have just been stacking them in my house; I haven't dared to use any of them yet, because the whole "random effect" thing is awfully vague.
Old February 24, 2014, 22:45   #20
Derakon
Prophet

The only place is in the code. They can be useful early on if you get lucky and they create an acid ball or fire ball, but there's always the chance that they'll haste, heal, or clone your target instead. I'd say just experiment with them a bit; you'll get a feel for what happens. Just don't experiment against monsters you can't run away from -- and remember you can cast Teleport Self.

Tags
intro, questions, standarts