AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 30, 2011, 05:23   #11
SSK
Adept

SSK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Thalkettoth is a bit oddball in Artifacts. I find it very useful early and again very late in game. Usually when artifact loses its usefulness it doesn't gain it back later, but this is not true in Thalkettoth case.
Yeah that is true. My recent winner wore it early then NEARLY wore it much later (but didn't). It was still in my home when I killed Morgy, though other higher rated artifacts like Sting and other big weapons were moved out.

It's that Speed +3 is just nice for body armor. I guess it is totally replaced by DSM of speed... But in my experience that tends to be found very low down.
SSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 05:37   #12
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The +3 DEX can also be very useful for melee-oriented characters.

Sting is nice early on, but in the endgame you really need more damage, so there's no point having it around.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 06:03   #13
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The +3 DEX can also be very useful for melee-oriented characters.
Light weight and decent AC for spellcasters too. Resist shards is not bad either, heavy shard breathers are quite common deep (gelugon, Huan, few dragons). It is also resistance that other high-level gears usually don't cover.

[EDIT] few typos corrected

Last edited by Timo Pietilš; May 30, 2011 at 06:47.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 07:16   #14
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSK View Post
It's that Speed +3 is just nice for body armor. I guess it is totally replaced by DSM of speed... But in my experience that tends to be found very low down.
DSM of speed was so broken that I removed that from my copy. Every one of my chars ended up using one before I removed that from ego-item.txt.

Entire ego-DSM scenario is kind of broken. That needs to be fixed.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 00:50   #15
SSK
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
DSM of speed was so broken that I removed that from my copy. Every one of my chars ended up using one before I removed that from ego-item.txt.

Entire ego-DSM scenario is kind of broken. That needs to be fixed.
Yeah I was commenting on the other thread--all my recent chars found very nice DSM of permanence--one found Law DSM o' permanence early, another found *3* DSM of permanence--two gold and one Pseudo. I think he actually found a 4th on L 100 while setting up the battle with Morgy.

That last char wore a lot o diff stuff--Dwarven Green DSM for a while--but found actually a better dwarven green dsm LOL, before finding the DSMs of permanence.

Point is they are way too common. Looks like Magnate agreed w me that having them around is nice for variety as long as they are far rarer--particularly speed and permanence--though I think he says permanence is going away.
Old May 31, 2011, 19:32   #16
Nolendil
Adept

Donated: 10 euro
Nolendil is on a distinguished road
Hello again and thanks for your comments.
I've just updated my dump.

I've been down to dlvl 44 since last time. I was aiming for 45 to follow SSK's advice, but so far I keep having superb feelings every time I've been to dlvl 44 and found enough stuff worth selling or keeping at home that I didn't feel like dropping them to continue deeper.

I have 2 new artifacts: Pauraegen, Narthanc. I think I can sell both without remorse, right?

I also gained a few more stat points so my current max HP is 734 (much better than the 500-something I had not long ago).

No ego-DSM for me so far though

EDIT:
I also finally managed to use Detection and Clairvoyance often to choose which monsters and items I'm ready to go for.
This should drastically increase my life expectancy compared to how I played so far

Last edited by Nolendil; May 31, 2011 at 19:39.
Nolendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2011, 05:27   #17
SSK
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolendil View Post
Hello again and thanks for your comments.
I've just updated my dump.

I've been down to dlvl 44 since last time. I was aiming for 45 to follow SSK's advice, but so far I keep having superb feelings every time I've been to dlvl 44 and found enough stuff worth selling or keeping at home that I didn't feel like dropping them to continue deeper.
A serious reason to play Birth_no_selling next time (Look Derakon, I am a total convert!). You don't end up using your inventory to become a gear-trader. Even with Birth-no-selling on I have trouble when I get a bunch of real nice stuff I am not going to use but think I *might* later, then I have to go back and redo my home inventory.

Quote:
I have 2 new artifacts: Pauraegen, Narthanc. I think I can sell both without remorse, right?
Junk. Ditch or sell.
Old June 1, 2011, 19:34   #18
Nolendil
Adept

Donated: 10 euro
Nolendil is on a distinguished road
Yes, "no selling" looks interesting now, more so that both the armor and weapon shops in my game have a gold limit of 5000 (just my luck).
I sell at the black market or the temple to mitigate the loss of money when selling expensive ego equipment but I still miss quite a lot.
I should try next time. And even with it I'm sure that I would face the same issue as you of having potentially useful stuff clogging my inventory

Ok, I'll sell the junk artifacts.
I just can't help asking even for obviously useless artifacts.
They still feel special to me and I used to keep as many of them as possible in ToME2 using all the space in all my houses.

Thanks again for your answer.
Nolendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2011, 21:27   #19
Max Stats
Swordsman

Max Stats is on a distinguished road
I used to be a compulsive seller. I hauled up everything I could find, well past the point where I really needed to. I was frequently overburdened, and never kept anything in my inventory unless it was either worth a lot of money or obviously useful.

A few of the proponents of "no selling" said, "Look, just try it a few times, and go back if you don't like it. But I can practically guarantee you will like it." So I tried it, and to my surprise, I loved it! Now, I am burdened a lot less often, I can manage to keep marginally useful items to use "just in case" rather than leaving them behind, and I spend more time in the dungeon and less time in town.

One of my favorite things about it is how well it works with squelching. You start the game with unenchanted gear. A few levels down, you find an enchanted weapon or armor, so you destroy/ignore the unenchanted item that it replaced and select "ignore all average <whatever>". Later, you find an ego item and you do the same except you ignore all good <whatever>. Same goes for amulets/rings after you find something better, just squelch the one you took off if you don't see it ever being useful again. Oh, and right up front you can squelch all the spellbooks that don't apply to your character class.

That someone like me would try it and like it is a good argument for everyone to at least try it as well.
Max Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2011, 06:34   #20
SSK
Adept

Quote:
Ok, I'll sell the junk artifacts.
I just can't help asking even for obviously useless artifacts.
They still feel special to me and I used to keep as many of them as possible in ToME2 using all the space in all my houses.
Yeah I totally feel the same way--I have brought this up before--I'd like to see something special at the town level called "Trophy room" where you can store unlimited artifacts. I really don't think it would mess up game balance. As an inducement (I know the maintainers want to push toward no-selling as the standard, ultimately without a "selling" option), they could offer the "trophy room" feature only in Birth_no_selling games.