Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 20, 2019, 06:09   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Blandness basically means lack of variety, especially when it comes to terrain. Vanilla has never been a game that featured a wide variety of terrain, and while that hasn't particularly hampered it in the gameplay department, I can see how it means there's not a lot of flavor to the dungeon. I guess that could create extra barriers to bringing in new blood.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019, 09:53   #12
luneya
Swordsman

luneya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Blandness basically means lack of variety, especially when it comes to terrain. Vanilla has never been a game that featured a wide variety of terrain, and while that hasn't particularly hampered it in the gameplay department, I can see how it means there's not a lot of flavor to the dungeon. I guess that could create extra barriers to bringing in new blood.
Yep. And remember, the OP was on a forum mainly discussing Dwarf Fortress rather than Angband. Playing DF is all about terrains; the monsters you encounter are very much a side-effect of the terrain rather than being the primary feature as they are in roguelikes.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019, 10:27   #13
werecobalt
Rookie

werecobalt is on a distinguished road
Maybe we can dump player directly to DL20 for some thrill.

edit:
other random ideas:
no food ration in shop
make first ten levels nethack-sized and each guarded by an early unique or several warg-tier monsters
replace town folk with baby dragons

Last edited by werecobalt; August 20, 2019 at 10:38.
werecobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019, 15:37   #14
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Well, for my two cents, I came off a Vanilla hiatus from 3.0.6 to some of the recent versions put out in the last year and I found the increased variety in dungeon layout one of the most enjoyable changes. I've only run through it twice, but I was constantly surprised to see new rooms, vaults, special rooms (whatever terminology is technically correct), and even the town was different. Lots and lots and lots of these things. Shrugs. I guess this is a perspective thing. When I played a lot of old Vanilla what OP was saying was pretty true to my experience,... long hallways, tons of boring square rooms, an insane number of that 4x4-room-thing-with-4-doors, the three-rooms-forward-slash-small-vaulty-thingy, and the rare-greater-vault-that-you-can't-explore. These are all the official names of these things, btw. But lately, I was finding new things I had never seen before on most of the levels I played. Shrugs.

tl;dr, I think there has been a lot of love given to dungeon layouts and variety, if not precisely lava/ice/water/sand etc.
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019, 17:48   #15
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
As far as variety in V, I'm digging the changes to spiders in Vanilla git master. The web terrain makes them a lot more creepy and threatening. An imprompto monster group with web slinging spiders and higher HP giant ticks can be surprisingly dangerous, and it just looks cool.
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019, 19:44   #16
Diego Gonzalez
Apprentice

Diego Gonzalez is on a distinguished road
When I was helping Jeff Greene to add new terrain types for NPP, I became aware that you get used to them really fast, specially if you play ascii. Because of that the first levels in NPP are quite plain, new terrain types have a progressive depth.

I find new room types a better way to break uniformity. Perhaps new terrain types could be added if the interaction with the player is interesting... and noticeable.
Diego Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2019, 19:50   #17
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Diego--
The ice levels in NPP are good. And V needs corpse flowers, too.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2019, 15:21   #18
Diego Gonzalez
Apprentice

Diego Gonzalez is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Diego--
The ice levels in NPP are good. And V needs corpse flowers, too.
Teleporting walls were useful sometimes. I think that adding a small set of interesting terrain features is nice, avoiding the introduction of complicated game mechanics as much as possible.
Diego Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2019, 17:44   #19
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Just add all the terrain features, wilderness, and multiple towns, dungeons, etc., from FA. Problem solved and Nick wouldn't have to revise FA.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2019, 19:37   #20
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Just add all the terrain features, wilderness, and multiple towns, dungeons, etc., from FA. Problem solved and Nick wouldn't have to revise FA.
I think the plan for Beleriand is not so very different from what you describe.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote