Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 8, 2008, 13:51   #1
MKula
Apprentice

MKula is on a distinguished road
[Feature Request] No auto-quit on death

This is something that has been bugging me for a while. Whenever @ dies (and, for me, that`s pretty often, heh), I of course get the standard post-mortum screen, etc, and after that the only thing left to do is... exit the game?

Wouldn`t it be more feasible to have it automatically bring you back to the character generation screens, as opposed to a forced quit?
Just my feable and insignificant gripe, so please bear with.
MKula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2008, 14:13   #2
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKula View Post
This is something that has been bugging me for a while. Whenever @ dies (and, for me, that`s pretty often, heh), I of course get the standard post-mortum screen, etc, and after that the only thing left to do is... exit the game?

Wouldn`t it be more feasible to have it automatically bring you back to the character generation screens, as opposed to a forced quit?
It wouldn't be more feasible, but it would be better. That is in fact one of my long-term goals with the game, but it will take a long time to get there, because the code isn't written in such a way as to make that doable at the moment.
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2008, 14:37   #3
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
Why not a quick hack, you know, exec of our own filename? Or is it not portable?

Edit: Oh, I see, when you manually place your Angband windows, restarting would not preserve their location. Otherwise just a trivial script would do --- launching Angband binary in a loop, once the previous one exited...

Last edited by Bandobras; February 8, 2008 at 14:46.
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2008, 14:56   #4
MKula
Apprentice

MKula is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Edit: Oh, I see, when you manually place your Angband windows, restarting would not preserve their location.
Really? I mean, I don`t know coding well enough to dig into the Angband source, but as far as window placement is concerned, that lovely angband.ini file doesn`t count for anything?

Oh, and thanks for the quick response, takkaria. Your answer was... concise, and lacked any real need for discussion at all.
MKula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2008, 15:37   #5
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKula View Post
but as far as window placement is concerned, that lovely angband.ini file doesn`t count for anything?
Never seen it. Is it Windows specific? Does it record your window placement? Actually, do you have multiple separate Angband windows on Windows, as we have in X11? Anyway, if angband.ini records all you want, just write your little angband.bat that starts angband.exe in a loop and that's all.
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2008, 23:19   #6
nobody
Apprentice

nobody is on a distinguished road
yeah we have multiple windows on windows, as long as we're not sing the con port. and the size contents and placement are all in *.prf * being whatever name you chose. multiple windows are the best, i don't play without them
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote