Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 17, 2008, 02:08   #11
AceRimmer
Rookie

AceRimmer is on a distinguished road
Personally, I hate hounds... and not just because I recently had a 28th level priest scorched by gravity hounds (over 200 hp in one round). The reason I hate them *is* the pack behavior... they trickle in one at a time, breathe from offscreen, and are hard to hit with my Orbs of D. Hounds are a royal pain if one doesn't have telepathy.

But when my last character finally got telepathy, killing hounds suddenly became a pleasure -- I swear I actually sang while I slaughtered them. Once I got telepathy, I could simply stand outside the room and lob Orbs o' D around the corner untouched.

Telepathy is extremely valuable. I think it ought to be extremely hard to acquire.

Also, some brilliant programmer out there should experiment with pack behavior. At the very least, the hounds should stand farther back from the doorway. [Note: this quirk is not unique to packs... I killed Ar-Pharazon the same way... he just stood still while I peppered him with OoDs... I felt wimpy, but that didn't stop me).
AceRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2008, 05:23   #12
Orillian
Scout

Orillian is on a distinguished road
Pack behavior in Angband is VERY basic and rudimentary. But it gives a framework for more exciting creature AI. Pack creatures should only follow pack AI up to the point were they take damage, since pack creatures only abide by pack behaviors up to the point of injury then it becomes every man.....beast for themselves.

Taking damage for a powerful creature even if it does not know were it's from should enrage it, it should rush the attacker if known or retreat to collect information about the attacker to allow it to attempt to gain an advantage. It should use defensive measures if available to it to attempt to nullify the attackers current form of attack.

I personally dislike the current pack behavior, but I like the fact that it opens the door for more advanced AI. Now if only someone would spend the time to advance the overall AI in the game. I'm guessing this would add a lot of extra flags for the creatures and such, BUT that being said I'm guessing VERY few of us are still playing on 486's.

O.
Orillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2008, 15:55   #13
zaimoni
Knight

zaimoni is on a distinguished road
Actually, quite a bit can be done to improve the V AI without new flags. The problem is that aside from pathfinding and some passwall/killwall/cover awareness, just about everything you'd want to do to the AI immediately is cheating because the corresponding information isn't exposed to the player.

Also, the AI does need to be stupid enough that the game can be beaten. (Triple-move G (e.g., Ghosts) with passwall awareness and fear of instant death are unfun at DL 20.)
zaimoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2008, 00:29   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRimmer View Post
Personally, I hate hounds... and not just because I recently had a 28th level priest scorched by gravity hounds (over 200 hp in one round). The reason I hate them *is* the pack behavior... they trickle in one at a time, breathe from offscreen, and are hard to hit with my Orbs of D. Hounds are a royal pain if one doesn't have telepathy.

But when my last character finally got telepathy, killing hounds suddenly became a pleasure -- I swear I actually sang while I slaughtered them. Once I got telepathy, I could simply stand outside the room and lob Orbs o' D around the corner untouched.

Telepathy is extremely valuable. I think it ought to be extremely hard to acquire.

Also, some brilliant programmer out there should experiment with pack behavior. At the very least, the hounds should stand farther back from the doorway. [Note: this quirk is not unique to packs... I killed Ar-Pharazon the same way... he just stood still while I peppered him with OoDs... I felt wimpy, but that didn't stop me).
If the behavior is happening with Ar-Pharazon, you probably have a bad version of Angband 3.0.8 or 3.0.9. There is a big mistake in a .h file, where monster path-finding is reduced from a distance of 30 squares to 3.

Basically, if the monster is between 4 and squares away, and is not moving towards you, there is a very bad bug. I don't know if it affects the current V precompiled download or not.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote