Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 13, 2008, 02:52   #11
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
This is without a doubt not only the most astonishingly stupid character death I've ever experienced, but also worse than any other I've ever heard of. Just looking back on my character dump, I notice that I had three !Detect Invisible in inventory that I was saving to deal with exactly this kind of problem. I had already killed Smeagol, so I don't know why I decided to flee the level instead of popping one of the three potions I had. I had a ring of speed from DL10 and I sat there and let myself get moaned to death. Unbelievable.

I used to set HP warning to 50%, but stopped using it in favor of the new (to me) @-coloring. Another monster knocked me into dark red and I ran away to ?WoR in an already cleared room. Since there were no monsters around except the Moaning Spirit, I thought I'd be safe from damage. Like I said, I didn't realize the dex loss was accompanied by actual damage. If I had the HP warning set, I would have realized my HP was dropping.
Losing that RoSpeed(+5) is really a bummer.

I really just wanted to mention that there is one other good source of See Invisible that is often overlooked: a Bow (or Sling) of the Nazgul. You really don't want to drop {worthless} missile weapons. Instead, remove the curse and eventually enchant them up to be just like a regular bow, but with SI (and drain EXP, but nobody cares about that.) If you are stuck with a sling, or you have a good ego bow, you may need to use a swap.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2008, 11:00   #12
aeneas
Adept

aeneas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
(new character nickname: Balls of Steel).
OK.. too much Duke Nuke'em, or too much youtube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero
[EDIT] Do not mess with the RNG. Ever. I just died to a Moaning Spirit, partly because I didn't realize the dex loss was accompanied by actual damage.
So don't do that... I don't see what that has to do with the RNG. The first thing you hit that you _absolutely_, _positively_ must have SI for is Dreads. They will rip you up in a hurry if you have no SI or ESP.
aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2008, 14:14   #13
Garrie
Adept

Garrie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas View Post
So don't do that... I don't see what that has to do with the RNG. The first thing you hit that you _absolutely_, _positively_ must have SI for is Dreads. They will rip you up in a hurry if you have no SI or ESP.

I gotta strongly agree with this, Dreads are my most common cause of dying at a stage when I should have SI but just DON'T!!
Garrie.
Garrie is offline   Reply With Quote