roustk
Adept

roustk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
Code:
 - Make torches always be found at 5000 turns
 - Make lanterns always be found at 7500 turns
If I'm reading the code right (changeset 681 on trac), this applies both to store and dungeon torches and lanterns. A subtle effect of this is to make early life slightly easier for most characters (found torches stack with bought torches saving slots), but possibly harder for low-STR characters (cannot carry a found torch without slowing and cannot refuel with the found one, because it is now full rather than having, say, 1138 turns).

Not a complaint, just a balance note.

Kevin
roustk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2008, 08:20   #12
Rizwan
Swordsman

Rizwan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camlost View Post
I'd vote to just have all torches show up with full fuel and call it a day. It works pretty well in Iron, right?
From a reality point of view it would not make much sense to have ALL the torches in the dungeon show up with full fuel. I mean some dead explorer would also leave burnt out torches as well. So maybe some torches in the dungeon could be full but some would be totally empty. There would be no torches with in between fuel in them. Same for lanterns.
I wonder if that would be too hard to code though.
Rizwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2008, 08:47   #13
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizwan View Post
From a reality point of view it would not make much sense to have ALL the torches in the dungeon show up with full fuel. I mean some dead explorer would also leave burnt out torches as well. So maybe some torches in the dungeon could be full but some would be totally empty. There would be no torches with in between fuel in them. Same for lanterns.
I wonder if that would be too hard to code though.
I'm ignoring the reality point of view here. I just assume that the character ignores burnt-out torches, skeletons in the corners, etc., and so they never need to be shown the player.
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2008, 05:20   #14
MKula
Apprentice

MKula is on a distinguished road
Or, if we`re talking about realism here, why not leave the dungeon torches/lanterns the way they are (half burnt, which makes sense), and just change the store-bought ones to have full fuel (torches = 5000, lanterns = 7500, or whatever the consensus arrives at, which also makes sense)?
MKula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2008, 07:34   #15
Rizwan
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKula View Post
Or, if we`re talking about realism here, why not leave the dungeon torches/lanterns the way they are (half burnt, which makes sense),
Actually it doesn't. Suppose a person is carrying a torch or a lantern and gets killed then the torch/lantern will not automatically turn off/stop burning. It will continue to burn until the fuel is finished in which case you will have light sources with zero turns of light in them. Only the fully fueled sources of light in the backpack will survive. Unless you like keeping partially used torches in your backpack.
Old February 22, 2008, 21:39   #16
MKula
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizwan View Post
Actually it doesn't. Suppose a person is carrying a torch or a lantern and gets killed then the torch/lantern will not automatically turn off/stop burning. It will continue to burn until the fuel is finished in which case you will have light sources with zero turns of light in them. Only the fully fueled sources of light in the backpack will survive. Unless you like keeping partially used torches in your backpack.
It might stop burning. Especially if the floor is dirty/wet/whatever. Or even if someone just drops a torch (maybe because they found something better), they might put it out first.

I always assumed that the floor was littered with completely burned out torches anyway; the only ones that show up in game are the ones worth mentioning (i.e. the ones with some fuel remaining). It's the same thing with the sticks and bones that used to be in the game in the v2.9.* days that got removed; I guess it's assumed they're there, but they're not worth mentioning because they're not useful.
Old February 25, 2008, 16:26   #17
Rizwan
Swordsman

Quote:
It might stop burning. Especially if the floor is dirty/wet/whatever. Or even if someone just drops a torch (maybe because they found something better), they might put it out first.

Well I guess if they are neat freaks, me I would just throw the thing away and run after whatever shiny Phial thing attracted my attention and I don't see monsters taking the time to douse their torches before throwing them away.

Quote:
I always assumed that the floor was littered with completely burned out torches anyway; the only ones that show up in game are the ones worth mentioning (i.e. the ones with some fuel remaining). It's the same thing with the sticks and bones that used to be in the game in the v2.9.* days that got removed; I guess it's assumed they're there, but they're not worth mentioning because they're not useful.

You got me there. Thats a pretty valid point. But then we again come to the point as to how they have SOME fuel in them?

Hmmm if we assume that the act of wielding them lights the torches and the act of taking them off douses them then it could be said that dieing could automatically unwield the torches thus leaving on the floor a partially burned torch
Old February 25, 2008, 16:55   #18
Narvius
Knight

Narvius is on a distinguished road
Uhm... Is refuelling lanterns removed as well?
Narvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2008, 16:32   #19
MKula
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narvius View Post
Uhm... Is refuelling lanterns removed as well?
Nope, it still works like it always did; you still need flasks of oil or another lantern to do it.