AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old June 14, 2013, 10:52   #11
Hajo
Adept

Hajo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
perhaps the complexity to which you refer is the themes aspect.
Yes, it's mostly been the themes. I didn't want to port the themes parser and the themes logic. But at a second thought it looks very reasonable to have the themes code on top of the basic affix code.

If one wants to keep the "one effect per affix" rule, this look like the best idea. And allowing several effects per affix just moves the complexity to a worse place in the code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Otherwise items with multiple affixes would only ever be totally random, like D2's rares.
I want to add such items. I imagine that it will be difficult to rebalance the game after such changes, but to me the item concept in D2 was very interesting, one of the best parts of the game. If I ever have the time and motivation, I'd like the implement the whole system in my Angband variant, including gemmed items, runes and runewords. Once the affix system is there, those steps should be fairly easy.

v4 also has changes to player knowledge and identification of item properties. I think I want to port those too, in the long run.

Thanks for the replies. I have a better idea now of how the code works.

Last edited by Hajo; June 14, 2013 at 10:58.
Hajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2013, 16:07   #12
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo View Post
If one wants to keep the "one effect per affix" rule, this look like the best idea. And allowing several effects per affix just moves the complexity to a worse place in the code.
Precisely - this is what I meant by "not really advance on the current V ego system". Moving to affixes is largely pointless if they're not atomic.
Quote:
I want to add such items. I imagine that it will be difficult to rebalance the game after such changes, but to me the item concept in D2 was very interesting, one of the best parts of the game. If I ever have the time and motivation, I'd like the implement the whole system in my Angband variant, including gemmed items, runes and runewords. Once the affix system is there, those steps should be fairly easy.
The affix system currently in v4 *does* generate those items - anything which doesn't get a theme is just a random collection of affixes. Play v4 for a while at deep depths and see - you get some really D2-like items with 6+ affixes.

I too have always been interested in the possibilities of adding sockets, gems and runewords - but now for Pyrel rather than v4. Do post on how you go about this.
Quote:
v4 also has changes to player knowledge and identification of item properties.
Yes, v4 moved to "rune-based ID", which was an idea proposed to Eddie Grove years ago. The premise is very simple: each ability is represented by a rune, so once you have learned Resist Fire on one item you automatically recognise it on any other type of item (because it has the same rune). The makes IDing complex items much easier, and makes ID automatic in the late game (because you know every ability rune).