Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 21, 2013, 12:22   #1
Hajo
Adept

Hajo is on a distinguished road
The "Zephyr" in Zephyr hounds

I've been trying to learn about the word zephyr, and it seems to be a word for a gentle breeze or wind, and the name of a greek god (god of the west wind).

So it's both about wind. In german, Greyhounds are "Windhund", so, mybe, Zephyr hounds are a play of words about wind, and they are related to Greyhounds somehow? or are they something completely different, based on other uses of the word zephyr which escaped my research?
Old June 21, 2013, 13:13   #2
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo View Post
I've been trying to learn about the word zephyr, and it seems to be a word for a gentle breeze or wind, and the name of a greek god (god of the west wind).

So it's both about wind. In german, Greyhounds are "Windhund", so, mybe, Zephyr hounds are a play of words about wind, and they are related to Greyhounds somehow? or are they something completely different, based on other uses of the word zephyr which escaped my research?
I bet the word "zephyr" refers to the fact that Angband hounds can breathe... so they kinda act like the wind god.
Old June 21, 2013, 13:56   #3
Hajo
Adept

Yes, that is a good explanation. Thanks
Old June 21, 2013, 14:51   #4
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Maybe it's simply that 'Zephyr' begins with a capital 'Z'?
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013, 15:04   #5
Hajo
Adept

For the Quyulthulgs and Yeeks I have let people convince me of that. I don't know, but the zephyr hounds seemed to be more than just something to fill an alphabetical gap. At least for me they are pretty defining to Angband, even more than orcs. And I believe that they even inspired the Diablo I developers, they had some hounds in there, too.

Before my research I expected "zephyr" to be something more obscure, occult and mystique, and I feel a bit disappointed now. On the other hand the association of "wind, breeze" and "breathing" isn't so far fetched, and to me the explanation is sensible enough to trump the alphabetical gap theroy.
Old June 21, 2013, 17:45   #6
kaypy
Swordsman

kaypy is on a distinguished road
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Quyulthulgs involved not only an unused letter Q but also a large amount of alcohol.

This may, however, have been merely speculation.

Any idea how far back zephyr hounds go? Do they predate having multiple species from a single letter? If so, did the original version match the name better?
kaypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013, 18:05   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Moria had multiple monsters with a single letter, and did not have zephyr hounds, so that should give you some idea of the timing. As best I can recall, zephyr hounds were added in the first version of Angband.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013, 19:19   #8
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Did they come in multiple flavors as they do now? Or just one, that breathes wind?

P.S. Since when did Google Chrome add grammar checking? I typed "multiply" by mistake instead of "multiple", and I got a white underline below it!
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013, 19:24   #9
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I'm almost positive that all of the flavors of zephyr hound we now have were in the first distributed version of the game.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013, 20:27   #10
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I'm almost positive that all of the flavors of zephyr hound we now have were in the first distributed version of the game.
Multihued version with basic four + poison is JLE addition. I think all others have been there forever.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote