Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 30, 2007, 22:38   #11
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
Just in case I decide to take that suggestion: what is different about O besides the combat? (I've heard about O style combat and that's why I think it would take a lot of getting used to.)
In a nutshell:
  • More classes and races;
  • Class specialties - you get to choose (at levels 0, 20, 40) extra powers;
  • Smarter monsters, monster mana;
  • Incremental resistances - one item gets you 45% resistance, a second takes you to 70 %, etc up to 5 items giving immunity (actually slightly more complicated, but that's roughly it);
  • Various more minor things like more even rise in power of monsters as you descend, magic devices are harder to use for non-magic users, etc.
It is harder than V, but not enormously. It is also reputedly impossible to dive in O...
Old August 31, 2007, 10:45   #12
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
In a nutshell:
  • More classes and races;
  • Class specialties - you get to choose (at levels 0, 20, 40) extra powers;
  • Smarter monsters, monster mana;
  • Incremental resistances - one item gets you 45% resistance, a second takes you to 70 %, etc up to 5 items giving immunity (actually slightly more complicated, but that's roughly it);
  • Various more minor things like more even rise in power of monsters as you descend, magic devices are harder to use for non-magic users, etc.
It is harder than V, but not enormously. It is also reputedly impossible to dive in O...
Hmmm. It certainly isn't impossible to dive in O, at least using the "clev<<dlev" definition: I have a rogue crawling around ~2100' in his mid-twenties. It is hard though, and I wouldn't want to try it with a non-rogue.

Pretty much everything else Nick says is true, but I would emphasise that none of the above list has anything like the impact of the different combat model. The monster mana, additional spell realms, special abilities and different resistance model all take a bit of getting used to - a session or two. The different combat model took me dozens of characters to get used to, because it's so totally different to V:

- plusses to-hit (skill) are *much* more important than to-dam (deadliness)
- criticals are a significant part of your damage output
- dice sides are more important than number of dice (because of criticals)
- extra blows are not a no-brainer; sometimes the bigger weapon is better than the extra blow (rarely true in V with enough +to-dam)
- brands and slays are less important (but still good)

I'll leave it there for now, though there's a whole PhD one could write.

A couple of replies to other points:

To the OP - if you wait until you've won V before trying a variant, you could be waiting a long time! Try a variant whenever you feel like it (probably just after you lose a really good character to a 3000' YASD after weeks of play). I've never won V without cheating, but awfully glad I've played some variants.

To Nick - I agree that !speed is great (I hoard them), but I don't know any variants in which they're a stock item in stores (most have them as unusual stock or in the BM). Sometimes though !speed can be dangerous, because it tempts you to finish the fight when you should really escape ("ooh I can whack-and-back now, I don't need to run"). At least, that's killed me a few times.

CC
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2007, 10:49   #13
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer

andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
To Nick - I agree that !speed is great (I hoard them), but I don't know any variants in which they're a stock item in stores
Unangband stocks them...
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2007, 12:15   #14
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
- brands and slays are less important (but still good)
I'm fairly new to V combat having played all my previous melee characters in O-style, but to me it seems that brands and slays are more important in O because they mutliply up the whole damage, rather than just the base damage dice as in V. I may have missed something though.
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2007, 13:30   #15
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
Psi, you are right. Moreover, they add a sizeable (for a starting character) damage amount on top of that (at least in S). I love the O style combat, but this I don't like: the first branded dagger I find is usually better than that extra-dice, manually enchated big weapon I was so proud of for the first 10 levels. Not in the spirit of O IMHO.
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2007, 15:58   #16
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
To Nick - I agree that !speed is great (I hoard them), but I don't know any variants in which they're a stock item in stores (most have them as unusual stock or in the BM). Sometimes though !speed can be dangerous, because it tempts you to finish the fight when you should really escape ("ooh I can whack-and-back now, I don't need to run"). At least, that's killed me a few times.
You sometimes get stacks of !Speed in the Black Market in O - when that happens, it's worth spending your entire bank balance on them. I find their main use is when confused - quaff !Speed then !CCW until you can teleport. Still usually doesn't work against Hummerhorns...
Old August 31, 2007, 20:57   #17
Conker
Scout

Conker is on a distinguished road
I think careless deaths are always going to be around in some incarnation. I just had the worst one ever - my nicely kitted out warrior, +6 speed, about 600HP, tried to disarm a trap. Failed, and the trap summoned a bunch of Time Hounds. Who killed me before I even had a chance to move. Talk about unlucky. I suppose that's a lesson to never try to disarm a trap manually once disarm trap rods are easily available.
________
Harley-Davidson FLHRCI

Last edited by Conker; January 19, 2011 at 13:22.
Conker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2007, 01:16   #18
tigen
Apprentice

tigen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conker View Post
I think careless deaths are always going to be around in some incarnation. I just had the worst one ever - my nicely kitted out warrior, +6 speed, about 600HP, tried to disarm a trap. Failed, and the trap summoned a bunch of Time Hounds. Who killed me before I even had a chance to move. Talk about unlucky. I suppose that's a lesson to never try to disarm a trap manually once disarm trap rods are easily available.

It's part of the roguelike experience I generally die from pointless greed, trying to kill that thing that is too dangerous, skimping on supplies, trying to avoid using supplies (surely it will die in the next hit, why waste the potion?)

If you want to see how to play carefully, watch the borg. Runs away constantly, stair scums, avoids every sign of risk, and would rather try to dig a tunnel through granite with his bare hands than step next to a floating eye.

Actually the borg's ability to be successful is kinda sad. I would prefer if the game design was such that formulaic risk-avoidance tactics didn't work. For example the stair scumming stuff and even perhaps the existence of instant teleport level. If the game had chokepoints where you were forced to confront significant danger then the borg could not run away, and we humans would have the advantage again

I guess Sangband's scoring system captures this to some extent. A borg probably can't get a good score since it would pump up its skills too much before taking any risks.
tigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2007, 02:20   #19
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
Quote:
For example the stair scumming stuff and even perhaps the existence of instant teleport level.
UnAngband plug : no instant teleport level there (it takes 2 turns IIRC) and soon no stair-scumming (semi-persistent levels). If you have any further ideas, let us know.
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2007, 22:07   #20
Madoka
Apprentice

Madoka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigen View Post
It's part of the roguelike experience I generally die from pointless greed, trying to kill that thing that is too dangerous, skimping on supplies, trying to avoid using supplies (surely it will die in the next hit, why waste the potion?)
That is pretty much why I die most of the time as well. Also, my greed will make me take less down for more slots for loot. Until I realize I should have brought that extra item. Like when I get surrounded by some summoned monsters, and I get beat to death. This is usually when I realize I should have brought that Scroll of Teleport that's sitting useless at Home.
Madoka is offline   Reply With Quote