Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2009, 20:09   #1
Choronzon
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 7
Choronzon is on a distinguished road
Noob needs advice...

My first real character (level 28 human warrior) is having some problems. Mainly, I put on The Iron Helm of Gorlim without realizing the consequences. Now every dungeon level I enter I aggravate monsters and it has made things much harder. I also just tangled with someone (can't remember name offhand) that disenchanted my pike of westernesse a bit along with my other armor and I'm a bit discouraged all the way around. Should I keep this character?

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=9716
Choronzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2009, 21:11   #2
shawnosullivan
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 61
shawnosullivan is on a distinguished road
character looks fine! don't be discouraged. get rid of the curse on gorlim and plow ahead. the disenchantment looks to have been pretty minor.
the disenchanter was probably ibun, mim, or khim. watch out for them (orange 'h')! especially as a warrior.
shawnosullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2009, 21:12   #3
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,712
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Part of the learning process is getting as deep as you can. If you have a large time investment getting this deep, you should probably keep going.

Go back to town and buy a bunch of enchant armor scrolls. Then go down and explore early levels until you find a disenchanter. Then take off everything and stand next to it until Gorlim is disenchanted to +0. Then read a scroll, and if the curse is not broken get it disenchanted back to +0 and repeat.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2009, 21:29   #4
Choronzon
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 7
Choronzon is on a distinguished road
It was Ibun.

I wasn't sure how to try and get rid of the Helm. I'll try your advice and see how it goes. Thanks again.
Choronzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2009, 14:01   #5
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choronzon View Post
It was Ibun.

I wasn't sure how to try and get rid of the Helm. I'll try your advice and see how it goes. Thanks again.
There is also rare scroll *remove curse* which gets rid of heavy curses like that one. Usually easier is to use enchant-method instead though.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2009, 14:06   #6
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choronzon View Post
My first real character (level 28 human warrior) is having some problems. Mainly, I put on The Iron Helm of Gorlim without realizing the consequences. Now every dungeon level I enter I aggravate monsters and it has made things much harder. I also just tangled with someone (can't remember name offhand) that disenchanted my pike of westernesse a bit along with my other armor and I'm a bit discouraged all the way around. Should I keep this character?

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=9716
You should be using lighter weapon. Lance gives you only one blow, dagger or something other light weapon gives you multiple blows, and that would be better than single blow from that lance.

Problem is that that is your only source for FA, so don't swap quite yet. Rings of Free Action should be rather common now, so use one instead of protection ring after you find one.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2009, 14:47   #7
fph
Knight
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Berlin / Italy
Posts: 794
fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
You should be using lighter weapon. Lance gives you only one blow, dagger or something other light weapon gives you multiple blows, and that would be better than single blow from that lance.

Problem is that that is your only source for FA, so don't swap quite yet. Rings of Free Action should be rather common now, so use one instead of protection ring after you find one.
I think you missed the ring of FA in his home inventory.

Choronzon: swap it in ASAP - that ring of protection is nearly useless.

Also, as Timo said, that lance gives nice bonuses, but with a warrior you need to do as much melee damage as possible. Check how much damage (number of blows x damage/blow) you do with all weapons you have at home, using the "I" command, and go for the maximum one (I think Glamdring will be the winner -- or Rilia, depending on how many blows you get with it).
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2009, 16:45   #8
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
I think you missed the ring of FA in his home inventory.
Oops, yes I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
Choronzon: swap it in ASAP - that ring of protection is nearly useless.

Also, as Timo said, that lance gives nice bonuses, but with a warrior you need to do as much melee damage as possible. Check how much damage (number of blows x damage/blow) you do with all weapons you have at home, using the "I" command, and go for the maximum one (I think Glamdring will be the winner -- or Rilia, depending on how many blows you get with it).
He also lacks see_inv which Glamdring (IIRC) gives (easy to check). Othervise it could be the pick he has which actually would be the best weapon (+5 to STR, acid-brand). Those do not actually create earthquakes, because those weapons have small dice and chance to get earthquake is based on dice size. (this might have been changed in 3.1.1+ versions).

Rilia would be very good swap. *ID* it asap. You'll like it, even that it isn't best possible weapon.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2009, 17:28   #9
Choronzon
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 7
Choronzon is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the advice peeps. Unfortunately, I died and never could get Gorlim uncursed. It seems when you want something badly (enchant armour scrolls) it tends to never reload in the stores. Finally around 20+ scrolls loaded, so I bought them all... took forever to find a disenchanter eye around 250`, and over half the scrolls failed, while the rest failed to remove the curse. Maybe I did something wrong. For the record, I would spam around the eye until my to dam went to 0, then I would use a scroll of enchant armour, which either failed or raised the to dam to +1, then I would start over. To tedious and bored to do it all again, so I started diving again, deeper than before, tired and careless and frustrated, and died to something else I don't remember in a fit of rage . Also, I didn't use the FA ring because Gorlim gives you FA (doesn't it?), so I figured I might as well use the ring of protection.

This game is very addicting.
Choronzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2009, 20:36   #10
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,951
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Artifacts are harder to enchant than normal items (IIRC they're only 33% as likely to have enchantment occur). Also, all items get steadily harder to enchant as their plusses increase; the absolute limit is +15 but the practical limit is +9 or +10; past that point your odds of successfully enchanting anything are miniscule.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A noob question about the ladder Ignatius Variants 2 December 7, 2008 11:03
Noob Question for 3.0.9 Arphod Vanilla 4 November 8, 2008 04:36
Noob Questions Kadoles Vanilla 6 February 21, 2008 21:31
what to throw away (and other noob questions) iaindb Vanilla 16 January 15, 2008 19:47
[Z] Help a noob Pwnography Variants 2 September 3, 2007 18:03


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.