Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 28, 2007, 13:46   #21
Paffa
Scout

Paffa is on a distinguished road
I'll add my own encouragement: Winning is by all means very possible =)

I, as many others here seem to, began with cheating death, savescumming etc. But believe me, winning fair and square feels a *LOT* better. Took me around 3 years to win Angband.. but can't explain it in words how good I felt once I had finally beaten Morgy.

The most important rules are just to keep playing and learn from mistakes to get further with the next character. Eventually you'll find yourself surviving rather well through the whole game.

Now I've won with a Priest, Ranger and Mage =) You can win too.
Paffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2007, 17:39   #22
Dragonboneman
Adept

Dragonboneman is on a distinguished road
Two HE rangers and a Dunadan Warrior for me. Casters are much harder, for me anyway.
Dragonboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2007, 00:15   #23
Diogenes
Scout

Diogenes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paffa View Post
I'll add my own encouragement: Winning is by all means very possible =)
Seriously?

I mean, I've been playing since 1989 (Moria 4.0) and haven't even come close to winning without using the save-scum... I guess the closes I've been is with Druid - I've started a new Druid session just to see if I can win that one clean. Druid is by far the easiest.

I've seen the leader board here on the forum and (no insult inteded) based on current experience the scores there seem way beyond reach.

Quote:
I, as many others here seem to, began with cheating death, savescumming etc. But believe me, winning fair and square feels a *LOT* better. Took me around 3 years to win Angband.. but can't explain it in words how good I felt once I had finally beaten Morgy.

The most important rules are just to keep playing and learn from mistakes to get further with the next character. Eventually you'll find yourself surviving rather well through the whole game.

Now I've won with a Priest, Ranger and Mage =) You can win too.
In VA or ZA I keep running into the instakill monsters the ones that you "meet" and in the next turn you see the gravestone. Haven't found a strategy for that.

Still, winning with the Save-scum on also felt good - it was still quite an achievement.

Did you post your winner(s) on the leader board?

Cheers,

Peter,
Old September 29, 2007, 06:35   #24
Matthias
Adept

Matthias is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Matthias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
I've seen the leader board here on the forum and (no insult intended) based on current experience the scores there seem way beyond reach.
What part seems out of reach? The 99mil exp ones? Once you've killed Morgoth there isn't all that much that can put a teeth in you, so killing random stuff until exp is maxed is mostly a test for one's patience. Also if you want to compare yourself with others on the ladder, comparing turn count or "lower exp" are better criteria than "more exp" in my eyes.
Matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2007, 08:05   #25
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In VA or ZA I keep running into the instakill monsters the ones that you "meet" and in the next turn you see the gravestone. Haven't found a strategy for that.
You can avoid running into instakill monsters with detection/telepathy/high speed. At least a fairly developed character should be able to avoid.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2007, 11:58   #26
Paffa
Scout

Quote:

Still, winning with the Save-scum on also felt good - it was still quite an achievement.

Did you post your winner(s) on the leader board?

Cheers,

Peter,
Yeah my characters are here. Well actually, this is the only place where tye can be found now.. Lost all of my savefiles when hard drive decided to break http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-browse...otmail.com&s=3

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=5897

And the one which I for some reason posted under e-mail with (at)

I recommend using the option to center the map all the time, it eliminates the threat for off-screen breath at least. With proper resistances, enough speed and means of teleportation there shouldn't be anything that can kill you in one turn.

Anyone in need of help on Angband, join the channel #angband on WorldIRC, big thanks for everyone there for helping me win.
Old September 29, 2007, 17:41   #27
zaimoni
Knight

zaimoni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
V has (3.0.9-ish) finally removed the "cut corners" option that causes melee instadeaths, especially in Z and its variants (specifically Hengband).

[V correctly defaults it to false. For my playstyle, this makes the run command exactly as useless in V as it already was in Z and its variants. A low stealth statistic doesn't utterly prevent playing a Stealthy Dwarf. Even the noisiest non-aggravating character is stealthy for exactly as long as no superfluous noise reaches the monsters.

That requires corner-cutting explored corners when the detects say it's safe.]
zaimoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2007, 22:41   #28
Diogenes
Scout

Diogenes is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
You can avoid running into instakill monsters with detection/telepathy/high speed. At least a fairly developed character should be able to avoid.
Mondkalb, Matthias, Paffa, Zaimone:

Thanks for your answers. I'll try more detecting and telepathy - and perhaps a bit more running away. I think some monsters are quite tough for even 45+ level chars (Drolem? Not sure).

The out-of-reach part (for me) seems to be lv 50 and beating Sauron - but I'll try with your tips if I have a character in that region.

I'll also have a look at your char's, Paffa.

I'm not sure yet about the cutting-corners tips, but I'll look at it once more. Did you mean that with cutting corners you can end up in trouble by being blasted by a Drolem standing in breath-range at the other part of the corner?

Cheers,

Peter.
Old September 29, 2007, 22:45   #29
momo125
Scout

momo125 is on a distinguished road
I beat the game by svae scumming, but was more proud of my few guys that reached dng lvl 80.
the only times i really get discouraged is when I WoR or >< into room and die. My last char was finally getting ready to push into 40s and walked down stairs only to get hit by 6 grav hounds and die.
all other deaths were from greed or boredom
momo125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2007, 16:09   #30
Paffa
Scout

I'm not 100 % sure about this but don't you get the first turn when descending/ascending stairs? if you do, you should've teleported right away.