Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 24, 2007, 14:13   #1
Faust
Adept
 
Faust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 129
Faust is on a distinguished road
messages with feeling

Having recently returned to V from a 6 month stint on NPP I feel that some of the messages given by V lack any real feeling.
e.g. in V when you kill something you can't see you simply get "It dies".
In NPP you get "You hear a/several scream/s of angony", this is a lot more human than the V message wich sounds more like something a machine would say.
There are lots of other examples of the superoir messaging system in NPP I just used the above as an example.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2007, 14:27   #2
pav
Administrator
 
pav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Prague, Czech republic
Age: 39
Posts: 782
pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
I like that "It dies" is very short. Reading elaborate phrases very often gets tiresome.

Now the feature I really like in NPP is grouping of messages. That's a must for Vanilla, IMHO. Instead of

You hit it. You hit it. You hit it.

NPP gives

You hit it. (3x)
pav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2007, 14:35   #3
Elsairon
Adept
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 117
Elsairon is on a distinguished road
IIRC there is a 'screams in agony' message in V, but not linked to a death message.
Elsairon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2007, 15:33   #4
Hugo
Scout
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 31
Hugo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsairon View Post
IIRC there is a 'screams in agony' message in V, but not linked to a death message.
Indeed. All hits produce one of a series of messages. IIRC, these message change based on the type of opponent and the amount of hit points he/she/it has left after the hit.

Once the opponent is dead, you get either "... dies" or "... is destroyed" (for undead monsters).
__________________
Best, Hugo

--
Angband spoilers - now updated for Angband 3.0.8 !!!!!
Visit http://www.juti.nl/hugo/Angband/Spoiler/index.htm
--
Hugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2007, 15:41   #5
Faust
Adept
 
Faust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 129
Faust is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pav View Post
I like that "It dies" is very short. Reading elaborate phrases very often gets tiresome.

Now the feature I really like in NPP is grouping of messages. That's a must for Vanilla, IMHO. Instead of

You hit it. You hit it. You hit it.

NPP gives

You hit it. (3x)
It may be more wordy but I find it more astheticly pleasing.
I agree the message grouping is a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsairon View Post
IIRC there is a 'screams in agony' message in V, but not linked to a death message.
I think that's the one before they die.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2007, 04:00   #6
Leon Marrick
Sangband maintainer
 
Leon Marrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Heavens only knows
Posts: 31
Leon Marrick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
Having recently returned to V from a 6 month stint on NPP I feel that some of the messages given by V lack any real feeling.
e.g. in V when you kill something you can't see you simply get "It dies".
In NPP you get "You hear a/several scream/s of angony", this is a lot more human than the V message wich sounds more like something a machine would say.
There are lots of other examples of the superoir messaging system in NPP I just used the above as an example.
Agreed. That message you mention comes from Moria and got resurrected only recently. Should never have been taken out, IMHO.
__________________
S(all) W/D H+ D c+ f? PV++ s? d- P++ M+
C S !I !So SQ RQ V+ F:<<buffer overrun>>
http://angband.oook.cz/code
Leon Marrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.