Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old March 28, 2011, 08:04   #1
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Why developing my variant is often more fun than playing

because I suck.

I've once or twice in the past gotten past dL60, but in what seems like the past thousand games (most of them very short), I can't seem to get past dL15.

Okay it's partly because I don't like sticking to the easiest class/race combos, but it's mainly because I suck.

I know how to play smart, but I don't seem to have the patence.

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2011, 08:51   #2
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
I hear you, brother.
Old March 28, 2011, 09:05   #3
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
because I suck.

I've once or twice in the past gotten past dL60, but in what seems like the past thousand games (most of them very short), I can't seem to get past dL15.

Okay it's partly because I don't like sticking to the easiest class/race combos, but it's mainly because I suck.

I know how to play smart, but I don't seem to have the patence.
Try Quickband. (a) you can get through the early game pretty quick, and (b) even if you suck and die, you haven't lost much coding time.

Can post the new version if you want...

A.
Old March 28, 2011, 19:53   #4
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
Heh, me too. Which is why my attempts at variants have chiefly been oriented toward making the game less time consuming and less insanely difficult.
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2011, 20:00   #5
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer

camlost is on a distinguished road
Yes, this is totally behind some of my efforts to make the early game easier in S...

I just need to remember to make the end game (which tends to be more fun) more difficult.
Old March 28, 2011, 21:17   #6
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by camlost View Post
Yes, this is totally behind some of my efforts to make the early game easier in S...

I just need to remember to make the end game (which tends to be more fun) more difficult.
Um ... before you do that, can you point me towards all the complaints that S's endgame is currently too easy??
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2011, 22:02   #7
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer

camlost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Um ... before you do that, can you point me towards all the complaints that S's endgame is currently too easy??
Complaints, maybe not. But it's always seemed easy compared to the mid-game and the beginning-game. Or maybe that's just giants. I made Sauron harder (nastier spell set), which was the major too-easy culprit, so maybe it's just fine now.
Old March 28, 2011, 22:40   #8
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
It's always been my experience that the "strong and dumb" races are far easier to play in any Angband variant than the "weak but smart" races. Physical sturdiness counts for a lot.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2011, 23:16   #9
NotMorgoth
Adept

NotMorgoth is on a distinguished road
And Sangband's giants are really 'strong but not all that dumb'.

I guess their lack of stealth hurts them most in the midgame, as that's where there are most likely to be monsters you would rather avoid than fight - but by the endgame, if you are ready to take on Morgoth you should be powerful enough to fight almost anything.
NotMorgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2011, 00:11   #10
Spacebux
Adept

Spacebux is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Current Play Comments/Thoughts

These are comments prior to a long rant I have of the game in general. I'll try to be terse.

Along the comments above about the game being harder in the beginning vs. middle vs. ending: a lot of that has to do with game experience... knowing that by a certain depth you'd better have SeeInvis or RPoison covered makes a huge difference in the player's ability to survive the middle- and even end-game points. Kavlax and Azriel are usually the humps of the game. Get past those two and you are likely to win.

Experienced players who feel the end-game is rather bland are players who know very well what's coming! While, I do agree with the sentiments that the end-game is a bit of a let-down in the current version... just a bit, mixing up the higher level uniques a bit would be better. (I comment more on this in my coming rant.) I like the other commentor's ideas about giving Sauron more spells, but I have a few other ideas for you to ponder.

My friend and I setup a rather fun challenge: A Half-Troll IronMage competition between us. This was quite exciting. As most Mage players would select Half-elf or Human at worst for a race, I thought this was actually a great combo for a Warrior-Mage. Indeed, if the Half-troll can survive the earlier levels, the latter half of the game is quite enjoyable.

Here are my comments from this experience:
a. Mage spells are now either under-powerful &/or Warrior melee damage is too powerful. I heard they authors reduced missile damage, such that even Umbar is hardly worth the effort! I found Cubragol to be the ultimate option, dumping Bard, a couple bows of Lothlorien, and the other artifact bows in the process. My point: melee trumps power, but speed trumps missile power.
b. As a MAGE(!!!), I was averaging over 1,000 hps of dam / round with the Glaive of PAIN (a wonderful Beat stick with an elemental ring). Things got even better for my mage (worse for the enemy) when I came across a Mace of D *Slay Demons* +2; then the ultimate - Deathwreaker. Oh boy - 1,200 hps/dam/round... who needs spells??? Granted, one will not find beat-sticks like these every game, however, there are many other weapons that will do more damage than spells; one is sure to find along the way.
c. As a MAGE, I only needed to use mana for defensive and informative purposes. I never bothered to cast Chaos Strike or Mana Storm in the latter stages. I even went melee with Sauron and Morgoth.... as a MAGE, with the G. of Pain. When your beat-stick does more than Chaos Strike and is more reliable than Mana Storm (even at 18/200+ INT), a couple quaffs of potions of Herosim/Berserk rage is all you need. Save the mana for Banishments and speed boosts if you need them.

d. I do like the changes in adding ego flags to DSM. Some would argue (and they would be right) this makes many artifact suits rather sub-par. Indeed BalanceDSM of Permanence or Speed rules night-&-day over most artifact suits. GreenDSM of Speed >> Thalkettoth. I like that. Why? Because it adds more options to the game rather than... "oh, I hope I can turn up Caspanion again!!!" I am all for diminishing the importance of artifacts in the game. Indeed, I'd rather see variables set on the artifacts themselves so each game would have slightly variable artifacts. I.e., one game might see the short sword Sting with 2d7 + 2 swings / round. A subsequent game would generate Sting with 1d7 + 1 swing and maybe HoldLife as a bonus... I think it would make the game slightly more interesting to have at least a small variance in the attributes of artifacts in the game, and/or allow the game to create some of its own artifacts or pull from a much larger set of artifacts than the current game permits. Is that what Randomize Artifacts does? Along the same lines, not every unique needs to be as hard as the last or harder. I know some of the higher uniques are quite the push-overs, actually - e.g., Scatha *yawn*, Oramax, Fundin... I know they are easy prey, for the most part, and don't feel they all need to be ultra hard. Like artifacts, though, it might be more interesting if the mobs themselves also had a bit of variance in HPs, resistances, speeds, and so on. Might make the experienced players feel a bit more vulnerable, and place more importance on those rods of probing.
My only gripe to the addition of ego flags to DSM is that PDSM and Razorback, et. al., are diminished as well, making them LESSER suits compared to ego-DSM suits. MultihuedDSM itself is effectively better than Razorback now. MultihuedDSM has no -4 to-hit penalty. No Aggr. Mob. penalty. Those two items make it more attractive (in my opinion) to Razorback which only gets you ImmElec (which does little for most players who carry few rods/wands/rings) and RDisenchantment (which is found in other items or on other suits, like BalanceDSM, even!). PowerDSM is just a little better now, though, it was a REAL TREAT to find in earlier versions. But this variety in 3.2 has quite a few resistances removed from it. So, not quite the find it used to be. Also note: MultihuedDSM of Resistance is redundant.
I am hoping this distribution of ego flags will also carry over to normal equipment, though not in such a high percentage. It should be quite unusual to find Leather Armor of Stealth or Resistance or Speed.
BTW -
:::: what happened to the "Robe of the Magi" ??? Why did you nix that?
:::: why do shields of Permanence only protect Str/Dex/Con?? What happened to Int/Wis/Chr?
:::: Defenders & Holy Avengers are worthless finds thesedays. In older versions of the game, they were a happy thing to find. Now - practically, junk.
:::: Stairs ought to work in both directions, after an IronMan player has successfully killed Morgoth. If you can recall to Town at that point, why can't you use the stairs? Winners keep diving, whiners want to run back up? is that the attitude?

I have a much longer rant to post. Perhaps I will break it up into several slices for commenting sake.

Spacebux

Last edited by Spacebux; March 29, 2011 at 00:30.
Spacebux is offline   Reply With Quote