Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 30, 2007, 03:12   #11
Frood
Rookie

Frood is on a distinguished road
I used to play using the original keyset on my laptop using the 123456789-keys to move around. It actually works pretty good, except that it is somewhat awkward to run in a particular direction. Also it is a pain to move your hands whenever you want to do anything other than just walk or attack.

Now I play using the roguelike keyset and that works much better. One big advantage is that you rarely have to move your hands away from the normal typing position. You can learn it pretty quickly, it takes maybe two hours to be able to play without having to look up keys too often.
Frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2008, 11:41   #12
slashme
Rookie

slashme is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post
Now I play using the roguelike keyset and that works much better. One big advantage is that you rarely have to move your hands away from the normal typing position. You can learn it pretty quickly, it takes maybe two hours to be able to play without having to look up keys too often.
Darn right. I used to play with the keypad and original keyset, but I found that that made me seasick looking up and down from the monitor to the keyboard every time I had to type anything with my right hand.

<digression>Of course, that was back when I was doing absolutely ridiculous savefile scumming. I used to save before killing a unique or reading a scroll of acquirement, and if I didn't like what I got, I restored, took a step, and tried again!!! I soon realized that that playing normally was much more fun and much faster.</digression>

Anyway, I learned the roguelike keyset (took me a while to get used to the diagonal keys) and never looked back. Now I don't move my hands at all, and keep my eyes on the screen.
slashme is offline   Reply With Quote