Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2008, 00:07   #1
Zero
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 83
Zero is on a distinguished road
Question about the nightly builds

What's the difference between angband-2008-01-06-con.zip and angband-2008-01-06.zip
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2008, 00:35   #2
Zero
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 83
Zero is on a distinguished road
Well, I tried copying the angband.exe file from angband-2008-01-06.zip into the stable version's folder, but that generates a parse error in objects.txt at line 98, even after deleting everything in lib/data. How do I get the nightly builds working? Has there been changes made to the objects.txt file format?
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2008, 01:32   #3
takkaria
Veteran
 
takkaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,936
Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Well, I tried copying the angband.exe file from angband-2008-01-06.zip into the stable version's folder, but that generates a parse error in objects.txt at line 98, even after deleting everything in lib/data. How do I get the nightly builds working? Has there been changes made to the objects.txt file format?
Extract the entire "angband-2008-01-06" folder from the zip, and run the game from there. That should work just fine.

The "con" version is the console version, like the "con" version for 3.0.9.
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2008, 02:36   #4
Zero
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 83
Zero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
Extract the entire "angband-2008-01-06" folder from the zip, and run the game from there. That should work just fine.

The "con" version is the console version, like the "con" version for 3.0.9.
Ahh, thank you. 7-Zip was showing the directories as zero bytes, so I assumed there was nothing in /lib. Turns out 7-Zip doesn't calculate folder sizes.

My bad.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2008, 04:13   #5
Zero
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 83
Zero is on a distinguished road
So, autoscum and level feelings are dead in the new version? I always disliked the idea of having level feelings, connected stairs, the black market, Farmer Maggot, and townspeople dropping cash and items, but having vaults and pits more often seemed like a good idea.

Has there been any change to the dungeon creation code?
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2008, 06:33   #6
Orillian
Scout
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Age: 43
Posts: 37
Orillian is on a distinguished road
Connected stairs are a no brainer. Connected stairs are just needed...not to scum, but for conformity. Unless you want to make stairs just holes in the floor and you fall down them and take damage every time you drop a level it does not make sense for the staircase you just descended to simply disappear....unless you want to make it a trap option or a special peculiarity of some levels.

The Blackmarket could go...I simply NEVER find anything of interest there that I can afford until late in the game...but buy then I usually do not need the stuff they have.

Farmer Maggot has never dropped anything nice for me in all the years I've played band. The best think I can remember ever getting from him was a +1+1 broadsword. ...but that being said the townspeople should not be killable unless they are thieves.

Level feelings always seemed like a built in cheat to me. I don't mind that they could be gone.

O.
Orillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2008, 14:21   #7
takkaria
Veteran
 
takkaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,936
Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
So, autoscum and level feelings are dead in the new version? I always disliked the idea of having level feelings, connected stairs, the black market, Farmer Maggot, and townspeople dropping cash and items, but having vaults and pits more often seemed like a good idea.

Has there been any change to the dungeon creation code?
Not yet. But there will be changes in the future.
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2008, 14:22   #8
takkaria
Veteran
 
takkaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,936
Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orillian View Post
Connected stairs are a no brainer. Connected stairs are just needed...not to scum, but for conformity. Unless you want to make stairs just holes in the floor and you fall down them and take damage every time you drop a level it does not make sense for the staircase you just descended to simply disappear....unless you want to make it a trap option or a special peculiarity of some levels.
Disconnected stairs just means that you wander away from the stairs before the game presents the level to you, and you lose your way.
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2008, 01:16   #9
Big Al
Swordsman
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary
Age: 31
Posts: 327
Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orillian View Post
The Blackmarket could go...I simply NEVER find anything of interest there that I can afford until late in the game...but buy then I usually do not need the stuff they have.
The black market occasionally has !oSpeed which are very useful and affordable for early chars. Also, rings of FA or STR, and rod/wands of Teleport other are often useful to buy early. I pretty much never ever buy weapons or armour from the BM though - I think that reducing both the buy and sell costs of magical weapons would largely reduce the 'too much gold' problem and increase usefulness of the BM.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2008, 19:29   #10
nobody
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 80
nobody is on a distinguished road
i guess the BM is more useful to those of us that don't dive quickly, it's a toss up as to whether i'll find FA first in the dungeon or the BM. connected stairs is something i'd really not rather do without. i've noticed in the nightlies tho, maggot isn't seeming to drop anything Good at all, thats a little bit of a bummer, but really has very little affect on play at all
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.