AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old January 8, 2013, 20:27   #51
Scatha
Swordsman

Scatha is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Any chance of Sil appearing on Android? Its cutdown commands, and smaller FoV requirements would seem ideal for the platform.
Good question. I think half and I would be happy to see someone port Sil to Android, but we won't be doing this ourselves. It might be more natural to do this after the game has tiles (in that it would then be accessible to a larger audience).

When we get tiles, we're also thinking of experimenting with smaller levels, which would further reduce the FoV requirements (helpful as the tiles are generally larger than ascii).
Scatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2013, 04:01   #52
WaveMotion
Apprentice

WaveMotion is on a distinguished road
Do stat-sustain items only increase the difficulty of stat drain? Just got drained by a nether worm while wearing an Amulet of the Blessed Realm <+0>…
WaveMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2013, 04:08   #53
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
All resistances / sustains in Sil give you +10 to the relevant skill check. If you have low will, stat drains, free action, fear resist etc are still reasonably dangerous.
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2013, 17:46   #54
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Does danger increase the odds of the dungeon generating more interesting rooms and vaults? I lugged danger with me on purpose with my Wiggins character from rather early in the game, and it seemed like every level had lots of good rooms. Was this a coincidence, or do the two go hand in hand?
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2013, 11:56   #55
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallucinationMushroom View Post
Does danger increase the odds of the dungeon generating more interesting rooms and vaults? I lugged danger with me on purpose with my Wiggins character from rather early in the game, and it seemed like every level had lots of good rooms. Was this a coincidence, or do the two go hand in hand?
Just a coincidence, I'm afraid.
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2013, 14:18   #56
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Ah, thanks! I was considering making treacherous path boots on purpose. I guess they may still be worth it for the higher xp monsters, but probably a silly idea.
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2013, 16:21   #57
half
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallucinationMushroom View Post
Ah, thanks! I was considering making treacherous path boots on purpose. I guess they may still be worth it for the higher xp monsters, but probably a silly idea.
Danger increases the depths of all generated monsters by one level (50 ft). This is the standard way to think of it. However, you can also think of it as meaning that you keep the challenge level fixed by playing at 50 ft shallower than you otherwise would have, making all treasures worse by 50 ft. Looked at this way I think Feanorian blades seem less like a good idea.
Old January 16, 2013, 01:46   #58
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Would it be possibly to have the death message accessible via the savefile because I invariably on impulse don't save the chardump but press ESC after a stupid death?

Is there any chance to reconfigure my keyboard (i have no diagonals on my laptop and using the numbers instead is tedious and error-prone).
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2013, 04:07   #59
WaveMotion
Apprentice

WaveMotion is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
Is there any chance to reconfigure my keyboard (i have no diagonals on my laptop and using the numbers instead is tedious and error-prone).
The way for non-numpad players to get diagonals is for them to go to the Options menu and turn on the "roguelike keys", described in the help screens when you press '?'. It'll seem at first like a counter-intuitive way to move around, but you'll soon get used to it and you'll love how you'll never have to move your hands off the keyboard.
WaveMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2013, 12:06   #60
half
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveMotion View Post
The way for non-numpad players to get diagonals is for them to go to the Options menu and turn on the "roguelike keys", described in the help screens when you press '?'. It'll seem at first like a counter-intuitive way to move around, but you'll soon get used to it and you'll love how you'll never have to move your hands off the keyboard.
I was surprised when my laptop based players told me they were just using the number keys at the top of the keyboard for diagonals, but when I tried it I found it very easy to get used to. In my experience arrows plus number keys is easier than hjkltybn -- at least so long as you aren't worrying about diagonal movement when not in combat.

Keypad is significantly better than either for me. Also note that Sil has a very streamlined interface. You can almost do everything with one hand on the keypad and the other on Shift/Alt/Control modifier keys. The main exception is 'u' and maybe I should have an alternate key for that.