AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old January 15, 2014, 18:01   #1
discochoir
Rookie

discochoir is on a distinguished road
Savefile block can't be read

Ubuntu 13.10
I had gone to the Ubuntu software center and downloaded Angband3.3, played for a bit, then removed it completely.
I then downloaded, compiled, installed v3.5. It opens up fine and asks me to press any key to continue. So I do!
Immediately I receive the error:
Code:
Savefile block can't be read
Maybe try and load the savefile in an earlier version of Angband
I've checked the file where saves are located, and its empty except for a "makefile". I'd rather avoid erasing all of Angband and re-installing it, if possible.

I do not care about the savefile, if it happens to still exist somewhere I do not want it. I just want to play the new version from the beginning. Unless its referring to savefile.c/savefile.h. Which I know little about, but having read them, they appear to be necessary for creating save data. Those however seem both present and intact.
Old January 15, 2014, 20:50   #2
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
On Linux, the saves are actually kept in a different place - probably ~/.angband/Angband/save. If you delete your old savefile from there, everything should be fine.
Old January 15, 2014, 21:28   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Would it be at all feasible for the game to default to create-a-new-character if loading a save fails for whatever reason? Ideally you shouldn't have to track down the savefile in the filesystem and delete it.

Actually it's kind of weird that the Linux version (apparently?) automatically tries to load your savefile when it starts. Shouldn't it give you the opportunity to save vs. load, and support multiple active savefiles like the OSX and Windows versions do?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2014, 22:01   #4
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Would it be at all feasible for the game to default to create-a-new-character if loading a save fails for whatever reason? Ideally you shouldn't have to track down the savefile in the filesystem and delete it.
Yes, that would be sensible - or at least give the player a choice.

Quote:
Actually it's kind of weird that the Linux version (apparently?) automatically tries to load your savefile when it starts. Shouldn't it give you the opportunity to save vs. load, and support multiple active savefiles like the OSX and Windows versions do?
It does support multiple savefiles, but as a command-line -u<savefile> option (and defaults to the username). If it's run from a menu or whatever, I guess you'll just always get the default. It probably would make sense to have the ability at least to query for savefiles (as the defunct-and-in-most-other-respects-sucky-GTK port used to).
Old January 15, 2014, 22:29   #5
discochoir
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
On Linux, the saves are actually kept in a different place - probably ~/.angband/Angband/save. If you delete your old savefile from there, everything should be fine.
Tried this with high hopes, it made sense. However, there is no such folder in the directory. I navigated to ~/ but no ".angband" to be found. In fact, doing a complete system search there is no ".angband" anywhere at all (which has me a tad concerned)
Old January 15, 2014, 22:42   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochoir View Post
Tried this with high hopes, it made sense. However, there is no such folder in the directory. I navigated to ~/ but no ".angband" to be found. In fact, doing a complete system search there is no ".angband" anywhere at all (which has me a tad concerned)
Given what Nick said above, you should be able to start it on the commandline with "-uCharacterName" to create a new character. And once you done that, you can search for the new savefile name and find where the old one is.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2014, 22:50   #7
discochoir
Rookie

I guess I missed that, it launches just fine now and moves into character creation. Thanks, I'l see if i can track down the save location now as well

UPDATE:
cannot find the new save file. Created a character dump to a txt file, looked for that too but with no luck. My only theory is that the save is going somewhere hidden, a place I can't see or access without root priviledge.

Last edited by discochoir; January 16, 2014 at 00:09.
discochoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2014, 19:43   #8
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochoir View Post
I guess I missed that, it launches just fine now and moves into character creation. Thanks, I'l see if i can track down the save location now as well

UPDATE:
cannot find the new save file. Created a character dump to a txt file, looked for that too but with no luck. My only theory is that the save is going somewhere hidden, a place I can't see or access without root priviledge.
How well do you understand hidden files and directories in Linux?

When Nick used ~/.angband/Angband/save he was using shorthand for

/home/yourusername/.angband/Angband/save

- apologies if you already know this, but it does seem like you haven't yet found where Angband is storing your saves and dumps. If you use "ls -a" in your home directory you should see the .angband directory. Please let us know if it isn't there - and paste a screenshot of your ls output.
Old January 18, 2014, 15:55   #9
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
Btw when I run vanilla Angband on linux it did wierd things, dont remember exactly what, but I had to create .angband folder manually and modify some path strings in the source to get it working.
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2014, 22:39   #10
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostTemplar View Post
Btw when I run vanilla Angband on linux it did wierd things, dont remember exactly what, but I had to create .angband folder manually and modify some path strings in the source to get it working.
What flavour of Linux, and what version of V? I don't think I've heard that reported before.