Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old November 3, 2014, 20:49   #31
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
At least Vanilla doesn't have Hounds of Tindalos!!!!!
Yet.

So how would you feel if we introduced those and rockets?
Old November 3, 2014, 21:02   #32
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
You know a rocket launcher would actually fit a variant like steamband, as long as it was steam powered and had more bits and gadgets attached to it then strictly necessary. ...
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2014, 21:54   #33
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Yet.

So how would you feel if we introduced those and rockets?
net positive, i think. Also, it's still canon, Gandalf made rockets for Bilbo's birthday party!
Old November 3, 2014, 22:15   #34
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
You know a rocket launcher would actually fit a variant like steamband, as long as it was steam powered and had more bits and gadgets attached to it then strictly necessary. ...
I'm pretty sure that Steamband has rocket launchers already.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2014, 15:06   #35
Lord Tom
Apprentice

Lord Tom is on a distinguished road
Another thought along the "providing cues" line would be for certain devastating attacks (Great Wyrm breath, mana storm) to be 2-turn attacks for the monster. The first turn there's a message like 'The Great Wyrm of Balance draws in a powerful breath' or 'The Black Reaver weaves a mighty incantation'. The monster's second turn they let loose. Various tweaks are possible, e.g. a % chance of getting the warning, or only on the first time the monster uses the attack, etc. Also, they could still unleash the attack the next turn even if the player ducks around a corner.

I see the argument that abating instadeath with any method would make the game too easy. But I'd say that gives an opportunity to make the game more difficult in other ways that improve interesting gameplay. Thoughts include reduced ranges on teleport/portal, give monsters a save vs TO.

For me, a big part of the draw of Angband is difficult tactical situations, with multiple monsters/threats I have to manage/abate to achieve some aim with minimal risk. Playing to ensure that no unseen/undetected monster ever gets a single turn on me unawares is, don't get me wrong, an interesting challenge. But I think increasing the danger/tenacity of the more routine threats could compensate.

Last edited by Lord Tom; November 4, 2014 at 15:23.
Lord Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2014, 15:36   #36
Lord Tom
Apprentice

With the "dying status" idea, I can imagine it working if you need perhaps a wearable item that provides the "second chance" power. If you suffer an appropriately devastating attack, the item glows brightly and saves you, by the skin of your teeth - but to compensate the item (whatever it was) is destroyed.

That could make for interesting gameplay tradeoffs as players who value instadeath protection need to prioritize acquiring/maintaining it, and presumably sacrificing other powers.
Old November 5, 2014, 01:23   #37
Carnivean
Knight

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
The item need not be destroyed, it could just be otherwise useless. A Ring of Second Chances could be given to all starting characters, and give the effect Derakon described. It wouldn't be part of anyone's end game kit or even mid game kit if they were an experienced player.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2014, 02:02   #38
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean View Post
The item need not be destroyed, it could just be otherwise useless. A Ring of Second Chances could be given to all starting characters, and give the effect Derakon described. It wouldn't be part of anyone's end game kit or even mid game kit if they were an experienced player.
I like this idea. Especially putting it on the already-massively-oversubscribed ring slot so there's a lot of competition for it.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2014, 02:33   #39
Lord Tom
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean View Post
Interesting...I like the idea of a single-purpose ring as well. I'd still favor the ring being destroyed when invoked (or maybe need to recharge or something), but that's not a big deal either way.
Old November 5, 2014, 18:38   #40
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Make it an artifact (which means you won't find another one, ever) and give it "N" uses before it's destroyed. Personally, I'd favor N=1 and call it the "Ring of Second Chances".
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote