Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 6, 2016, 19:42   #1
Rowan
Adept

Rowan is on a distinguished road
Most Hated Enemies

There are some monsters that no matter how strong I am, I will still go out of my way to kill them with a vengeance. Do you have foes like that? What are they?

Mine are:

Colbrans- always so annoying to a priest who loves his Orb of Draining. These jerks are no threat once you get past a certain point, but I will always take the time to wipe one out when it pops up.

Panthers- it's silly, but my first devastating character-death came from fighting hydras, running away and getting cornered by a freakin' panther. Never again.

Cantoras- another sad story, first time I ever got one-hit killed.

Pit-Fiends- I'm one of those players who kills every enemy on every level... except Pit-Fiends. They're one of the only enemies I Teleport-Other every single time. Can't stand them!
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2016, 20:03   #2
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I agree colbrans are bad news. Very much use it or lose it for wands of teleport other. Dreads are another. For priest, sabretooth is horrid.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2016, 20:15   #3
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
V's, G's, W's and L's: especially V's: I load up on fire ammo and watch them "burn, baby, burn!". Q's and s's, I make a point to humiliate them with magic missiles or other puny attacks from the safety of a hockey stick LOS. v's & g's and Z's, I banish when I find Kelek's.
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2016, 23:02   #4
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Merchants.
Hate 'em.
Swaggering around, all lit up, not a care in the world.
Bastards.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2016, 01:22   #5
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Nightwings and Nightwalkers, because I never remember the difference until it's too late.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2016, 01:41   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Beholders of all kinds. Pretty powerful, awful to melee, and they don't even drop anything.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2016, 01:59   #7
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
I hate the tougher fast j's. Rarely lethal, but just a pain in the ass to run into most of the time.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2016, 13:49   #8
Huqhox
Adept

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Jabberwocks and bronze golems for me. Both are hard even for a high level character and the golem's summon makes them dangerous. But if I have cleared the level I will take my time to lure them somewhere I can wipe them out
Old October 7, 2016, 13:54   #9
AmyBSOD
Rookie

AmyBSOD is on a distinguished road
Everything that uses acid, disenchantment or water attacks. Bloody obnoxious item damage/destruction! At least there are items that prevent the first two from happening.
AmyBSOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2016, 21:11   #10
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
For the last few years most of my Angbanding has been in PosChengband, and boy oh boy are there some infuriating things there

I definitely am on the same page with Amy re: disenchanters. Losing pval or high enchantment on an artifact feels terrible.

On the theme of "go out of your way to kill even later on" I'd have to say Phantom Warriors and (exact same glyph but much more dangerous) Phantom Beasts.

In terms of "aw hell no I'm not touching it with a 50' pole," even though there are more dangerous/serious threats, Unmakers are at the top of my list. They change glyph every turn, they breed explosively, they eat the level, destroy items, breathe chaos, are cold-blooded, drains all stats, disenchant, drain mana, drain charges, and resist almost everything!
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote