AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 16, 2019, 04:10   #21
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
See, thats funny because lore does nothing for me. Id be ok with angband being based in space or on discworld. But as a long time D&D GM we all assume that all fantasy world components exist in all fsntasy worlds - maybe just in a different geographical location. Tolkien lore, greyhawk lore, norse myths, greek myths, ninjas, hobbits, kendars; obviously if you walk north long enough, you'll bump into Thor. Go east far enough and there's Amaterasu, you can't miss her.
Even better if those "components" shout at you in Engrish.
Old February 16, 2019, 04:40   #22
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
The monster list hasn't had a good looking at since before version 3 (17 years ago! good lord), when the JLE patch was incorporated into the main game, while most other areas of the game have been altered.
JLE's patch ruined Angband. 2.9.3 was the last real V.

--

Nick is a great maintainer - competent, dedicated, experienced, open to suggestions and feedback, and always ready to communicate with players. Many changes he's made I don't approve of, and many changes have not been made that I think should have been made, but I suppose that's why Nick maintains V and I maintain FrogComposband

Changes have happened during every Angband maintainer's tenure that some players have found offputting. That's okay - from both the player's side and the maintainer's side. It's always the maintainer's dream to keep everybody happy, but it very seldom works out that way!

And the starting point for the changes is a developing game, not one that's already perfect. For everyone who dislikes a change, there are usually two people who like it; and if I belong in the former group I wouldn't dream of holding it against Nick personally. Nick makes (and should make) the decisions, but he doesn't make them without listening to the Angband community.

For those who disagree with the direction V's taking, there are many variants to play and always room for more; and old versions of Angband itself won't disappear anywhere just because Nick's releasing new ones.
Old February 16, 2019, 04:43   #23
MWGE
Rookie

MWGE is on a distinguished road
I am one of those that are mostly happy with the direction the game is going. Debate is healthy, Nick is open to this. Fair enough I say.
MWGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2019, 11:16   #24
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
Just to be clear, i support the idea of making Angband tolkien-only, but i question if there exists lore to replace the uniques that would need to go.
What could replace Arien ? What could replace Radagast? (These are supposed to be friendly instead of hostile)
What could replace Chronos?

Im sure there's a tolkien dragon that could replace the tarrasque, maybe shifting Ancalong up on the scale, but what about the titans? Would we just lose a bunch of uniques?

How about the trapper?? Does tolkien have an unmoving monster in his legendarium?
Old February 16, 2019, 11:34   #25
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just to be clear, i support the idea of making Angband tolkien-only, but i question if there exists lore to replace the uniques that would need to go.
What could replace Arien ? What could replace Radagast? (These are supposed to be friendly instead of hostile)
What could replace Chronos?

Im sure there's a tolkien dragon that could replace the tarrasque, maybe shifting Ancalong up on the scale, but what about the titans? Would we just lose a bunch of uniques?

How about the trapper?? Does tolkien have an unmoving monster in his legendarium?
I think this post explains how I'm planning to deal with this the best. A bunch of those replacements are already done on the feature/monster branch, too.
Old February 17, 2019, 03:26   #26
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I wouldn't mind losing a bunch of uniques. And a bunch of levels, for that matter --- I don't think anyone clears the whole 100 levels anymore these days. Angband has a distinctive 'marathon' feeling, but it would retain it also with, say, 50 or 75 levels.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2019, 04:09   #27
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
I wouldn't mind losing a bunch of uniques. And a bunch of levels, for that matter --- I don't think anyone clears the whole 100 levels anymore these days. Angband has a distinctive 'marathon' feeling, but it would retain it also with, say, 50 or 75 levels.
I clear ever level. (exvept for the few at the beginning when I discover Deep Descent).
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2019, 05:33   #28
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
I think Nick has a good approach. I can't say I've played V lately or followed every change to the game, but I have confidence in the process that Nick, Derakon, and so many other members of the Angband community are following. Last time I picked up V after a long hiatus, I was truly pleased and impressed by the changes. Keep up the good work!

As for mixing different lores and themes (Greek/Tolkien/etc.), that's never bothered me; rather the reverse, which is why I most recently played variants in the Hengband branch of the family tree.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2019, 06:14   #29
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I like fantasy kitchen sink when it's explicitly fantasy kitchen sink. Medusa would not look the slightest bit out of place in the Heng-like variants.

Vanilla angband is however in a very awkward middle place where it's got a heavy Tolkien theme but with a lot out of place. While it's a little on the large size for a pure theme I think using themed monsters where possible is a definite improvement. There's no reason to have ninjas when some other form of spy or assassin could take it's place.

I think ninjas were fine in Moria which never had much theme despite being called Moria & having the Balrog. Moria was here's a scorpion, here's a mummy, here's a ninja. It's not particularly serious in it's design.

Edit: Honestly it's a shame Nick the butcher would be out of place as a unique.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2019, 12:02   #30
Adam
Apprentice

Adam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Edit: Honestly it's a shame Nick the butcher would be out of place as a unique.
With attack type "summon bugs"?
A butcher is definitely not out of place in the town so you could put him there.
Or at least put him into store.txt selling "fresh meat"

On the topic itself: I'm pleased with the recent gameplay changes and don't really care about renaming the monsters. Actually if it's more coherent, more logical then it's better in my opinion.
I'll miss some of the uniques but that's not a big deal.
Btw we are talking about monsters which can be customized to anyone's desire via a simple txt file if i'm not mistaken. You just need to keep the old file - i think it's structure does not change too often. And even if it happens writing a converter is probably not much time.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote