Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 25, 2018, 23:53   #51
Drokk
Rookie

Drokk is on a distinguished road
Thanks again for the thorough responses.

Another stupid question!

When I see 4.6 blows, does that .6 actually matter? Like I'd have four blows one turn, and then five the next? Or do only the whole values actually reflect in the games attacks?

I notice it effects damage values, but I never quite see You attack monster (x5). Is it broken out into a separate 'bonus' hit after my main attack and I've just missed it?
Drokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2018, 02:19   #52
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drokk View Post
Thanks again for the thorough responses.

Another stupid question!

When I see 4.6 blows, does that .6 actually matter? Like I'd have four blows one turn, and then five the next? Or do only the whole values actually reflect in the games attacks?

I notice it effects damage values, but I never quite see You attack monster (x5). Is it broken out into a separate 'bonus' hit after my main attack and I've just missed it?
The fractional blow means you take slightly less than a full turn. 4.6 blows means you get 4 blows in 92% of a full turn (I think I did that math right). So no, you'll never get five attacks out of one press of the button, but you're still getting on average faster attacks than you would at 4.0 blows/round.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2018, 02:44   #53
Drokk
Rookie

Makes sense! Thanks again.

That character got instagibbed by the mouth of Sauron (got some really cool gear before death, check out the dump on ladder). Come hither right into a storm of darkness, ended up with -140 hp. Ouch.

Learned so much though, I totally got greedy and underestimated how deadly an OOD unique could be.

On to the next one.
Old April 26, 2018, 04:19   #54
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Yes, OOD uniques are very deadly, and Mouth of Sauron is just bad news even at native depth. (Most deep unique s are, until you reach endgame strength.) There are a few you can kill easily (Dragluin for example), but mostly not a chance. Also stay away from Greater Balrogs and certain deep undead, which are worse than most uniques.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2018, 05:40   #55
Drokk
Rookie

I'll keep that in mind! Until I get that monster knowledge, my process is currently:

Attack it
See how bad it hits you back
Teleport away and swear to never approach it again

I guess that won't really work when things can one hit me.

Currently trying to learn the magic system, so I'm splatting some dwarf paladins. Its tough in the beginning, especially before you get sustain wisdom.
Really have to respect monsters a lot more when you only have 2.0 blows. I found Elvagil, but with only one swing it really didn't help me at all. In fact, the confidence I gained from finding it probably got me killed!

To segway into yet another two dumb questions:

Is there a way to get complete monster attack info without being hit once first?

How can I make a caster survivable before I get sustain for wisdom? Early game weakness is new considering my propensity to play warriors, and that drain HURTS. I'm assuming I'm going to have to use the bigger hit dice weapons (maces, hammers, ect) because I'll have pretty much one blow across the board?

I've been so impressed with how helpful you guys have been today. Thanks again. I'll continue to barrage you with stupid questions, kind of set on making this RL my next ascension.
Old April 26, 2018, 07:37   #56
Carnivean
Knight

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drokk View Post
I'll keep that in mind! Until I get that monster knowledge, my process is currently:

Attack it
See how bad it hits you back
Teleport away and swear to never approach it again

I guess that won't really work when things can one hit me.
This is the fun way to learn and die. The way to win is to only attack things you know you can beat without burning a disproportionate amount of resources or creating a later dangerous situation.

Quote:
To segway into yet another two dumb questions:
Pedantry note: a Segway is an auto-balancing transport device, a segue is a conversational transition.

Quote:
Is there a way to get complete monster attack info without being hit once first?
In game you can get this information by using Probing is either spell or device form, ie Rod of Probing. If you die and restart the same character you inherit all previously known information.

Quote:
How can I make a caster survivable before I get sustain for wisdom?
For all types of caster it's pretty much choose your targets and control your circumstances. You will be weak early.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2018, 07:41   #57
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
You can get complete monster knowledge by looking at the file monster.txt in /lib/gamedata.

Sustain <stat> is of low concern. Stat draining can be avoided for the most part by not letting draining monsters melee you. The occasional drain might happen, but you should disengage and retreat rather than keep fighting and lose a relevent amount of <important stat>.

Paladin in particular does not rely on spells early on. Play him like a weak warrior if need be.

Typically, paladins end up wearing a wisdom amulet eventually which solves that issue.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2018, 11:37   #58
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean
Pedantry note: a Segway is an auto-balancing transport device, a segue is a conversational transition.
How did I never learn this word? I guess I never used it in writing. I always thought it was "segway" and I never remember ever being told otherwise; and I've always thought the word was "segway" long before motorized scooters trademarked it. And yet, only now am I learning that the word is 'segue'. What a strange feeling! https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...monly-confused

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Aww, don't look up monster history; that's cheating! You got to earn your knowledge through many unhappy deaths.

Another reason I like playing half-troll warior is that stat drain hardly ever matters since you can't be drained of your most important stat and you gain levels so quckly being that you are a monste-crushing meachine with very low experience penalty. I used to play High-Elf Paladin when I started playing Angband for the native See Invisible and healing, but didn't have a proper appreciation of how devastating the slow experience gain is. I used to collect mushrooms of vigor to compensate.
Old April 26, 2018, 13:39   #59
Moving Pictures
Adept

Moving Pictures is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Yes, OOD uniques are very deadly, and Mouth of Sauron is just bad news even at native depth. (Most deep unique s are, until you reach endgame strength.) There are a few you can kill easily (Dragluin for example), but mostly not a chance. Also stay away from Greater Balrogs and certain deep undead, which are worse than most uniques.
i am slowly and painfully learning the lesson that one does not have to kill all the uniques.
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2018, 14:44   #60
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Once you get past dl 40, you can assume that a significant fraction of monsters you meet you will n9t be able to kill. The obvious ones are AMHD, drolem, Ethereal Drake(!), Death Drake, Great Crystal Drake, Smaug and friends if you don't have double resistance and/or suitable ego ammo. Depending on your character, you may be able to kill them, but you will burn through a ton of consumables. On the other hand, demons native to those depths are great targets, until the Balrogs, who are often more effort than they are worth. After this, the number of killable at-deoth monsters goes down fast, until you catch up with the power curve through some combination of
* stats
* double resistance (this is huge)
* speed
* damage
* 0-fail
To avoid these monsters, use some combination of
ESP, detection, TO, Light Rods, Mapping, Stealth, running away, and not using teleportation unless you really don't have a choice.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote