AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 1, 2018, 22:01   #71
Drokk
Rookie

Drokk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Don't neglect constitution when initializing the character. Base starting CON of 14 can make a massive difference in the midgame. Eddie Grove wrote a song about it:
All I wanna do
Is find some CON
I got a feeling
I'm not the only one.

Hah!

That actually brings me to ask a different stupid question! This one may be stupider than the rest.

Ive just been going with the default point values when creating a character, Im wondering if those have been specifically initialized for a specific class/race combo, or if theyre optimized for maximizing something specific, like blows per round?

Might be nice if the default point values were some generally agreed upon to be solid for an individual class/race so bumbling rookies like me could have a solid initial footing.
Drokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 22:13   #72
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
No, the starting values are...not quite arbitrary, but tend to be optimized more for
A. Starting characters
B. pure melee
I always move at least 3 points into CON, for example.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 22:16   #73
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The defaults are generally pretty reasonable, but they do tend to dump CON. Whether, say, 1 extra point of INT is worth 4 points of CON is a tricky question to answer. If you're dying before making it to the midgame, then no, it is not, because CON makes very little difference in your HP until you're able to get a lot of it. If you're dying after that point, though, then it's mostly a question of how long you're willing to wait before you get max CON vs. how valuable that extra point of INT is. CON is HP is what you need to keep from dying, and in the long run you should be maxing it regardless of where you start. Putting a good valuation on how quickly you max it is hard.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2018, 23:38   #74
Drokk
Rookie

Drokk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The defaults are generally pretty reasonable, but they do tend to dump CON. Whether, say, 1 extra point of INT is worth 4 points of CON is a tricky question to answer. If you're dying before making it to the midgame, then no, it is not, because CON makes very little difference in your HP until you're able to get a lot of it. If you're dying after that point, though, then it's mostly a question of how long you're willing to wait before you get max CON vs. how valuable that extra point of INT is. CON is HP is what you need to keep from dying, and in the long run you should be maxing it regardless of where you start. Putting a good valuation on how quickly you max it is hard.
Looking around I found an earlier post you wrote about CON which helped put things into perspective.

Really appreciate you super knowledgeable folks swinging by. I think if I pushed it I could win with a warrior, but for some reason Im really hungry now for that mage victory. A lot of short wizards are about to meet their demise.
Drokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018, 17:23   #75
Moving Pictures
Adept

Moving Pictures is on a distinguished road
why .....

Answer me this, Angband gurus.

An iron ball, designed for use in ye old slinge, weighing a hefty one pound, can deliver 1d4 damage. It can be thrown by early-level characters who have no launchers as part of a "keep me alive until I get a launcher" strategy.

Potions are fragile things. If you - or more specifically, the right kind of hound or dragon bat - sneeze on one, it might shatter and break. These things, which weigh a mere four-tenths of a pound, can, however, be hurled at various creatures and do *twice* the damage of a purpose made enemy-bonk weapon.

'Splain?
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2018, 17:32   #76
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures View Post
Answer me this, Angband gurus.

An iron ball, designed for use in ye old slinge, weighing a hefty one pound, can deliver 1d4 damage. It can be thrown by early-level characters who have no launchers as part of a "keep me alive until I get a launcher" strategy.

Potions are fragile things. If you - or more specifically, the right kind of hound or dragon bat - sneeze on one, it might shatter and break. These things, which weigh a mere four-tenths of a pound, can, however, be hurled at various creatures and do *twice* the damage of a purpose made enemy-bonk weapon.

'Splain?
So far as I'm aware, the only "potions" that deal any remotely significant damage are Flasks of Oil, which you notionally are turning into ad-hoc molotov cocktails. All other potions should only deal 1d1 damage. Looking in object.txt, most of them don't even have a "combat" line...though, oddly, Potions of Augmentation, *Healing*, Life, and *Enlightenment* do. And deal 1d1 damage.
Old May 3, 2018, 18:02   #77
Moving Pictures
Adept

Ye olde screenshot attached. Potions did 7,7,8; iron shots did 3 and 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	potion.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1617  
Old May 3, 2018, 18:05   #78
Derakon
Prophet

Oh, huh. Potions of Confusion deal 3d4 damage; so do Blindness, Sleep, Poison, and Slowness. How odd.

But yeah, most potions only deal 1d1 damage at most.
Old May 3, 2018, 22:53   #79
Moving Pictures
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Oh, huh. Potions of Confusion deal 3d4 damage; so do Blindness, Sleep, Poison, and Slowness. How odd.

But yeah, most potions only deal 1d1 damage at most.
So, let's see: 2.5*3=7.5, and 20,000/7.5 means 2666 of these to take out Morgoth.
Better rent a mule, methinks.
Old May 4, 2018, 05:09   #80
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Potions of blindness and the like are very rare compared to iron shots (or charges on a Wand of Magic Missile). So doing modest damage has minimal gameplay effect. I agree it's Interesting.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote