Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 24, 2009, 15:54   #21
John McCoy
Rookie

John McCoy is on a distinguished road
Speaking as someone who is playing Angband again for the first time in about five years, I had kind of noticed that there was less "clutter" without realizing that the compeltely useless junk is all gone. I for one do not miss the shards of pottery.

In my opinion if the variety of attack types and/or number of resistances were cut back that would make the game less interesting. Managing your resistances is one of the things that makes for tough decisions around what equipment to use.
John McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2009, 16:55   #22
Larvitz
Adept

Larvitz is on a distinguished road
Down with the shards of pottery. =]

I for one enjoy all the new things Takkaria has done with the game. I think he's taking it in the right direction for sure. =]

I enjoy 3.1.0 more than any of the other versions myself, and I even play it more than any of the variants. The only variant I currently play other than Vanilla would be Z+Band, and only for the extra classes that I like playing at times.

Inventory management isn't really a problem for me... I just try to find a -Recall and I just go up occasionally to build my funding for the stat gain potions, which I admittedly purchase. =] I never find many in the dungeon, so I do indulge in the purchasing. ^_^
Old March 24, 2009, 17:48   #23
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
You know inventory management is like a strategy in itself, what you need to have and what is a red herring with no real use at all. I have no problem with managing my inventory, I even like it and take pride in it, it is half of what makes me the player I am. I know what works, and I make sure I have it. Other things that I don't need get sold. With that money I buy what I need to survive the toughest battles in the dungeon. If you don't have what you need on vault and themed levels, with a couple different uniques, your going to find it very tough to survive and win through. It's not that you "Have to clear that vault" but it really raises the excitment if you do, and that's when I usually find my best equipment and artifacts. So who wouldn't want proper inventory managment? It's human, and that's how we are.
Old March 25, 2009, 09:40   #24
Rizwan
Swordsman

Rizwan is on a distinguished road
I at least want enough space in my home so that I can display all the shiny artifacts that I gathered while on my travels i the dungeon so that I can tell my grand-kids some really nifty stories about that one time or the other. So it would be nice if the home inventory space could be increased to at least be able to hold ALL the artifacts, I really hate leaving one on the floor or selling it in the stores.
[Edit] Or maybe have a meuseum where you can store artifacts you no longer need but can never take any out from there.
Rizwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2009, 15:57   #25
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizwan View Post
I at least want enough space in my home so that I can display all the shiny artifacts that I gathered while on my travels i the dungeon so that I can tell my grand-kids some really nifty stories about that one time or the other. So it would be nice if the home inventory space could be increased to at least be able to hold ALL the artifacts, I really hate leaving one on the floor or selling it in the stores.
[Edit] Or maybe have a meuseum where you can store artifacts you no longer need but can never take any out from there.
I think a meuseum is the way to go, I thought of that as well, I too would like to keep my artifacts to look at, but I would also like to be allowed to get them if I want to use them, it adds flavor to the game. If you think about it though, an unlimited home space makes a big problem with clutter, can you imagine trying to keep track of several pages of stuff in your home, I would eventually get aggravated and do some spring cleaning, I do that now anyway, and keep only what I need. The exception is the artifacts, I would like to keep them as trophys, but not in the home, to avoid clutter, I think a meuseum is the way to go....but let me stress I want to be able to get what artifacts I want to use from the meuseum, it's only right because there yours, and you found them.
Old March 25, 2009, 16:07   #26
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
You don't need all those resistances. And there are some high elements with no resistance (plasma, gravity, time, mana, etc)

The resistances you "need" are:
Fire, Cold, Electricity, Confusion

The resistances you want are:
Acid, Poison, Nexus (with unmaxed stats)

After that are:
Sound, Disenchantment, Chaos, Nether, Blindness (for full casters.)

But you can survive quite a long time without any of them.
Pete- You know I never really broke it down and examined it that way, I have always tended to know what you see the most of and what seems to hurt you the most. But I really never broke it down into a classifacation. I wonder if somebody could make a comprehensive guide to resistances, to help players out there..
Old March 26, 2009, 13:27   #27
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman

Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
You don't need all those resistances. And there are some high elements with no resistance (plasma, gravity, time, mana, etc)

The resistances you "need" are:
Fire, Cold, Electricity, Confusion

The resistances you want are:
Acid, Poison, Nexus (with unmaxed stats)

After that are:
Sound, Disenchantment, Chaos, Nether, Blindness (for full casters.)

But you can survive quite a long time without any of them.
Unless you play like me. I "need" all the resistances since if I see a monster I just run up and whack it to find out what it does.
Jungle_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2009, 23:21   #28
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
And I'm baffled by you expecting consistency when someone's ranting. Quit your whining and get back to 3.1.1. And have you nerfed those hounds yet? And would it kill you to have a site that worked occasionally?

I'm sorry, I blacked out for a minute there. Has anything been happening?
Nick - if you ever try stand-up, let me know and I'll be there.

@Takkaria - please ignore the OP. Anyone who believes that Angband needs more useless junk cluttering up the floor needs to find a different game.

CC
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2009, 01:36   #29
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
I think a meuseum is the way to go, I thought of that as well, I too would like to keep my artifacts to look at, but I would also like to be allowed to get them if I want to use them, it adds flavor to the game. If you think about it though, an unlimited home space makes a big problem with clutter, can you imagine trying to keep track of several pages of stuff in your home, I would eventually get aggravated and do some spring cleaning, I do that now anyway, and keep only what I need. The exception is the artifacts, I would like to keep them as trophys, but not in the home, to avoid clutter, I think a meuseum is the way to go....but let me stress I want to be able to get what artifacts I want to use from the meuseum, it's only right because there yours, and you found them.
ToME has a "Mathom House" of the same size as one of the player houses. Unfortunately you can't get stuff back that you've donated though. I think players often use it for informal challenges (for example- to store monster corpses). I usually use it for bad junkarts, quirky randarts (like random artifact filthy rags), or the cursed true artifacts.

ToME has a player house in each regular town- granted there's more stuff in ToME but I pretty quickly max out any new house I earn.
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2009, 09:50   #30
pampl
RePosBand maintainer

pampl is on a distinguished road
I like that Angband has a billion different resistances and artifacts and monsters and floors. If I wanted a streamlined system there's a ton of other roguelikes that have spent years perfecting one.
pampl is offline   Reply With Quote