Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 22, 2020, 01:48   #161
Ged
Rookie

Ged is on a distinguished road
Hey! Thanks! I'm really enjoying 4.2.1....

I took a long hiatus from the game (RL got really complicated for about 3 years) and decided to get back into the game about a week ago...and it's been a blast and a joy relearning one of my favorite games.

Thank you so much.

(I used to play the nightlies and help with debugging—I used to be StMicah on the forums, but couldn't remember logins/former emails. I plan to start playing the nightlies versions after my first win.)
Ged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2020, 02:48   #162
backwardsEric
Apprentice

backwardsEric is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
OK, filed as a bug, I'll think about sensible ways of making it negative.
Code:
move_energy * (1 + abs(num_moves - 1) - (num_moves - 1)) / (1 + abs(num_moves - 1))
would reproduce the same values for positive values of num_moves and wouldn't blow up for num_moves <= 0. With more negative move speed modifiers, the energy per move would approach 2 * move_energy with that expression. Is that enough of a range to be interesting?

Dropping the "1 +" when calculating state->num_moves from the extra move speed in player-calcs.c would simplify the above expression to

Code:
move_energy * (1 + abs(num_moves) - num_moves) / (1 + abs(num_moves))
backwardsEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2020, 08:01   #163
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwardsEric View Post
Code:
move_energy * (1 + abs(num_moves - 1) - (num_moves - 1)) / (1 + abs(num_moves - 1))
would reproduce the same values for positive values of num_moves and wouldn't blow up for num_moves <= 0. With more negative move speed modifiers, the energy per move would approach 2 * move_energy with that expression. Is that enough of a range to be interesting?

Dropping the "1 +" when calculating state->num_moves from the extra move speed in player-calcs.c would simplify the above expression to

Code:
move_energy * (1 + abs(num_moves) - num_moves) / (1 + abs(num_moves))
I don't know if this would work, I remember "energy" being capped at "move_energy" somewhere (if you set a value that is greater than the value, so a negative value would have no impact, but of course I could be wrong.
Old September 22, 2020, 18:39   #164
backwardsEric
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
I don't know if this would work, I remember "energy" being capped at "move_energy" somewhere (if you set a value that is greater than the value, so a negative value would have no impact, but of course I could be wrong.
There are caps like that on the energy use in cmd-pickup.c. I don't understand the logic there. I had expected it would increment the energy use for the auto-pickups, but it overwrites what was calculated when making the move.
Old September 23, 2020, 00:10   #165
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Equipping dagger of slay animal with ring of mouse says "average damage: , and 0 vs others" (throwing message is correct).
Old September 23, 2020, 22:43   #166
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you have a savefile at that moment, that would be handy.
Did you ever pull the savefile for this from angband.live? I've been avoiding playing so that the position is unchanged.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2020, 22:56   #167
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Did you ever pull the savefile for this from angband.live? I've been avoiding playing so that the position is unchanged.
I have requested it, to no effect so far.
Old September 25, 2020, 13:57   #168
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Nick, here's a bug for you. This is in the 4.2.1 nightlies on angband.live. @ ascended some stairs from DL3 to DL2 and finds himself in a 2 by 1 room, with the stairs and no doors. Either this is a bug, or it is the tiniest level I've ever seen.
OK, I have the savefile, and it is a generation bug due to an interesting room not playing nicely with the tunneling code. If you dig south, you'll be fine
Old September 25, 2020, 15:59   #169
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
OK, I have the savefile, and it is a generation bug due to an interesting room not playing nicely with the tunneling code. If you dig south, you'll be fine
Thanks, Nick. Always nice to find the obscure bugs.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2020, 19:20   #170
backwardsEric
Apprentice

Quote:
To follow up on this some more, with the most recent nightly no disconnected levels were seen at depths of 50', 300', 550', and 800' in 80,000 attempts at each depth. At 1050', there's about 90 levels in 10,000 attempts that have some portion that's not in a vault and disconnected from the rest. Of those, around 10 (so one in a thousand) disconnect '@' from all of the staircases heading down. Is that too many or is that acceptable at that depth where '@' more likely has some method of digging, or in a pinch, a long range teleport that could get to the disconnected area?

At 1050', the causes for the disconnected areas are usually these vaults:

Cross; Lesser vault; 18 x 11; doesn't work well with the tunneling code unless it happens to hit one of the two doorway areas on the edges
Camouflaged; Lesser vault; 10 x 7; doesn't work well with the tunneling code; boundary is all permanent rock except for three granite grids
Maze; Lesser vault; 18 x 10; doesn't work well with the tunneling code; boundary is all permanent rock except for one door
Tower; Lesser vault; 18 x 10; doesn't work well with the tunneling code; boundary is all permanent rock except for one door
Treasure trove; Lesser Vault; 7 x 7 boundary; doesn't work well with the tunneling code; boundary is all permanent rock except for four granite corners
Castellated; Lesser vault; 18 x 10; works well with the tunneling code but the internals require digging through at least one wall to get through