Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 18, 2011, 22:59   #11
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
I'm not sure "good reasons" is fair case, junk items were flavor in game, problem with junk was not actual junk items but the fact that majority of items that were supposed to be good were junk in practice. In F-K junk skeletons are 's' which means you can't distinguish "living" skeletons from items before you see them. Also filthy rag of elvenkind still beats any non-ego basic armor, and Rusty Plate mail doesn't rust any further, so if you enchant it up it doesn't get corroded by acid.

Flavor items that can't be squelched are not a bad idea. Broken sticks, shards of pottery and skulls lying around creates atmosphere. You don't need to squelch them because you can immediately see that they are just junk. You could make them invisible in item pickup screens or use them as mimic disguises. Or give them all some minor damage dice so that if you throw them you can wake up monsters or even kill small ones.
Well, I know at least one of the current devteam agrees with you, so they might come back. I wasn't part of it when the decision to remove them was made (3.0.x IIRC), but ISTR exactly this debate playing out exhaustively at the time, and a large majority in favour of removing them. There are ways to add flavour that don't interfere with gameplay, and junk items weren't one of them.

That said, I *think* they were removed before the squelch code was added. Now that they can be squelched, the arguments against them are somewhat weaker.

I don't feel strongly either way - I just wanted to let people know that this isn't a new debate, and it wasn't particularly evenly contested last time round.
Old September 19, 2011, 02:47   #12
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Flavor items that can't be squelched are not a bad idea. Broken sticks, shards of pottery and skulls lying around creates atmosphere. You don't need to squelch them because you can immediately see that they are just junk. You could make them invisible in item pickup screens or use them as mimic disguises. Or give them all some minor damage dice so that if you throw them you can wake up monsters or even kill small ones.
So, I am someone who really misses broken swords (in particular the artifact Narsil). These aren't technically junk but are similar.

I do miss junk items. Before squelch became popular/common/easy I was ambivalent about them. On the one hand they are definitely clutter and can be annoying. On the other they do add flavor, and a fun feel. Now that squelch is accepted and works well I don't see a good reason not to put them back in. In fact the junk of the "TMJ problem" is totally different than actual junk items.

The only kind of junk I'd be reluctant to permit back in is junk which can't be safely squelched without negative consequences. For instance, junk that 99% of the time does nothing but is occasionally useful. But AFAIK shards of pottery, bones, etc. don't qualify and could easily be squelched.

Last edited by d_m; September 19, 2011 at 02:54.
d_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2011, 06:35   #13
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
That said, I *think* they were removed before the squelch code was added. Now that they can be squelched, the arguments against them are somewhat weaker.
That is what I think too. At that point any removal of junk was improvement, even if it did mean getting rid of atmosphere creating items. People were ready to remove iron spikes too IIRC even that they do have some limited use.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2011, 12:26   #14
Max Stats
Swordsman

Max Stats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
One thing I noticed just second ago is that inventory ends at letter 'v' not 'w', so you have one letter less space in already very small inventory.
IIRC, the inventory was expanded by one slot when the secondary weapon slot was eliminated. Shortly after macros and @ inscriptions were introduced, the "X" command was eliminated as an actual command and instead made into a "standard" macro that was automatically loaded and set to 'w0'. They reasoned that you could still use the extra slot as a secondary weapon if you wanted, but you could also use it as just an extra item.
Max Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2011, 12:45   #15
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Stats View Post
IIRC, the inventory was expanded by one slot when the secondary weapon slot was eliminated.
I can't remember time where you couldn't have two weapons in equipment list, currently you have melee and missile weapons both equipped at the same time, in Frog-knows that is "spare weapon" -slot which can be any weapon.

Was there such a time when that slot didn't exist? If there was I have missed that one completely.
Old September 19, 2011, 13:06   #16
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

nppangband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Was there such a time when that slot didn't exist? If there was I have missed that one completely.
Yes, way back in Moria, and presumable in the first stages of Angband, you had a secondary weapon slot, and you could switch weapons with the x command. There was no bowl slot. There were countless instances of people trying to beat an ancient dragon to death with their shortbow, and tryign to tunnel into a greature vein with thier whip. I guess eventually the bow slot was introduced.
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2011, 13:48   #17
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nppangband View Post
Yes, way back in Moria, and presumable in the first stages of Angband, you had a secondary weapon slot, and you could switch weapons with the x command. There was no bowl slot. There were countless instances of people trying to beat an ancient dragon to death with their shortbow, and tryign to tunnel into a greature vein with thier whip. I guess eventually the bow slot was introduced.
Yes, but Max Stats was talking about removing that spare weapon slot and instead using macro for swapping weapons as reason for adding extra letter in inventory. That sounded like there was a time between removing spare weapon slot and introducing bow slot where bow slot didn't exist.
Old September 19, 2011, 15:17   #18
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
@magnate: regarding junk. I know both you and takkaria have disliked junk. However, I have not become convinced that variable floor terrain is the way to go. Specifically for the squelch reasoning. It's hard to squelch terrain, it's easy to squelch items. Furthermore, as d_m said, there's a difference between junk items littering the dungeon and useless weapons and armor generated from monster drops/vault squares. I'm aware that this debate isn't new, but I don't really think it's been thought of properly since squelch has gained such promenance.

regarding inventory. I think staves are already punitively heavy enough. You can't even carry them with mages. There's something to be said about making the cumbering penalty more severe, especially deeper in the curve. So you can imagine a curve that looks like this:

Code:
cumber      penalty
---------------------
<limit      0
0-15 lbs    -1
15-25 lbs   -2
25-30 lbs   -3
where each additional 5 pounds is another point of speed. I think this *could* work. Also the cumbering penalty, is way too much of a function of strength. Mages are a pain in the early game because they can't even carry all their spell books unless they go naked.

But I think there's soemthing very interesting about having space-limited inventories (or both together). So instead of having a hard limit by slot, you're limited by how many total items you have. So 20 potions of CCW take up as much space in inventory as 5 CCW, 5 healing, 5 *healing*, and 5 life. On the other hand, bringing 50 ?phase into the dungeon is no longer feasible.

Of course, rewriting the entire inventory handling takes a much more intrepid individual than myself.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2011, 15:27   #19
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman

Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
@magnate: regarding junk. I know both you and takkaria have disliked junk. However, I have not become convinced that variable floor terrain is the way to go. Specifically for the squelch reasoning. It's hard to squelch terrain, it's easy to squelch items. Furthermore, as d_m said, there's a difference between junk items littering the dungeon and useless weapons and armor generated from monster drops/vault squares. I'm aware that this debate isn't new, but I don't really think it's been thought of properly since squelch has gained such promenance.
What about creating junk that has a flag or some other method of making it so it is not automatically picked up regardless of other pickup settings. Could also add an option to squelch junk if people want a nice clean dungeon. For me the most annoying thing about junk was the way it filled up my inventory when I had autopickup on. If you have junk that cannot be picked up you add flavor without the tedium of cleaning out your inventory.
Old September 19, 2011, 15:52   #20
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
I'd prefer flavour junk to be in the shape of more 'dungeon furniture' like chests; things that might have traps on, sometimes turn out to be monsters, or could be smashed or opened to reveal monsters/items. Have skeletons lying around that sometimes come to life if you step too near them, coffins that can be opened and might contain an undead or a treasure, statues that you can sometimes smash to get treasure and other times turn out to be disguised golems, etc.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote