Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 15, 2014, 20:42   #11
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,025
fizzix is on a distinguished road
If I recall correctly boots of speed *are* more likely at *all* depths, however they now have an m_bonus rating, so that the value of the bonus is rated to the depth. (it used to be that it just chose a random value between 1 and 10 regardless of depth). So you certainly will find more BoS early, but they will likely be +3 or +4 or something (they *can* be +10 but then you rolled really well!). Later in the game your boots will either likely be speed or elvenkind, but you have a much higher chance of getting plain old magical boots than you used to.

Of course, there is very high variance on these things. Part of this came from discussions with Derakon where he insisted that there should always be the low chance of finding a crazy out of depth item early in the game. I agreed with this, so the way I get around it is by front loading the allocation tables.

For example, if you roll an ego boot at dungeon level 10 (let's assume that's the value rating of the item, all items can be created OoD). you have a 5/6 chance for slow descent and a 1/6 chance for Free action.

At level 20 you have ~40% chance of free action, ~40% chance of stealth and ~20% chance of stability, and a ~5% chance of speed. Free action has dropped off the allocation table entirely, which allows the more lucrative egos to be generated more frequently.

At dungeon level 70 you have a 55% chance of stealth, ~28% chance of stability, an ~8% chance of speed and an ~8% chance of elvenkind. Here, free action has dropped off which ups the probability of everything else. In addition, elvenkind now comes in depth, which essentially doubles the allocation level of speed.

If anyone has better ideas for how to allocate the various ego items, I'd love to hear them. I certainly expected to do more tweaking on the initial (stat-informed) guesses, but the feedback was mostly positive.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 05:00   #12
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
Later in the game your boots will either likely be speed or elvenkind, but you have a much higher chance of getting plain old magical boots than you used to.
Boots of stability (nexus resist) should be relatively common there too. That's about only boot type I might swap BoS to in deep levels, in case I don't have Trickery. Not that that is particularly likely, it seems that you start to find Trickery quite early in game from vaults that seem to be more common in 3.5 than they were in 3.4.

That's another perhaps anomaly in my current game, I had found around five Trickery before I found any of the other "good" amulets, and since Trickery beats all other amulets into game I didn't find much use to those other amulets. I think Trickery needs to lose at least SPEED, if not more. Maybe rPoison too.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 13:40   #13
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,025
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Boots of stability (nexus resist) should be relatively common there too. That's about only boot type I might swap BoS to in deep levels, in case I don't have Trickery. Not that that is particularly likely, it seems that you start to find Trickery quite early in game from vaults that seem to be more common in 3.5 than they were in 3.4.

That's another perhaps anomaly in my current game, I had found around five Trickery before I found any of the other "good" amulets, and since Trickery beats all other amulets into game I didn't find much use to those other amulets. I think Trickery needs to lose at least SPEED, if not more. Maybe rPoison too.
If you look at the allocation levels I quoted above, you'll see that you can still find stability late in the game, at about 5 times higher allocation than speed.

Trickery, devotion, weaponmastery and magi all have the same allocation level, so unless there's a bug you should find each of those first equally often. All are native to dlevel 70 and deeper, so finding them early is definitely OoD. I'd prefer not to drop rpois from trickery. I'd be ok with dropping speed from it, and boosting devotion (pstun?), weaponmastery (higher bonuses?) and magi (speed boost from trickery goes here?) somehow.
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soft Leather Boots of Wormtongue Jenks Vanilla 29 June 4, 2011 12:48
Restarting generation process: not enough boots Raxmei Vanilla 6 May 24, 2011 04:56
Soft Leather Boots Spacebux Vanilla 16 February 20, 2011 22:17
Boots of Speed, more common now? Neuro Vanilla 3 April 14, 2009 12:07
Boots advice shevek Vanilla 2 March 14, 2009 12:22


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.