AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 16, 2018, 21:06   #61
Moving Pictures
Adept

Moving Pictures is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
There's no sliding scale. Each column corresponds to one equipment slot, with @ corresponding to innate traits. All traits that aren't explicitly "+1 to whatever" are binary -- you either have them or you don't. The only ones that stack are that you can combine a permanent source of resistance with a temporary source of resistance to take 1/9th normal damage (instead of the usual 1/3rd for single-resist). Permanent does not stack with permanent.
Ah, so the letters correspond not with a scale, but an ID for a particular item. Of course, now that I look at it, it seems so .... obvious.
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2018, 22:40   #62
jevansau
Adept

jevansau is on a distinguished road
If you have rune of protection as a spell, one variation on an anti-summoning corridor that works particularly well as a ranger is:

WSW
SW
WRW
WWRW
WWWRW
WWWWRW
WWWWWRW
WWWWSW
where S is corridor, W is wall and R is rune of protection. Vary the number of R's according to the strength of the monster, and sit on the bottom R.
You end up getting a lot of free shots, the monster can only summon behind itself, and you can step to the final free space if you need to heal etc.
jevansau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2018, 10:02   #63
Adam
Scout

Adam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevansau View Post
If you have rune of protection as a spell, one variation on an anti-summoning corridor that works particularly well as a ranger is:

WSW
SW
WRW
WWRW
WWWRW
WWWWRW
WWWWWRW
WWWWSW
where S is corridor, W is wall and R is rune of protection. Vary the number of R's according to the strength of the monster, and sit on the bottom R.
You end up getting a lot of free shots, the monster can only summon behind itself, and you can step to the final free space if you need to heal etc.
If you place the last S under the R and you stand on it you can even shoot the monster without it having LOS on you (so can't even breath on you). But I actually find that tactic rather unfair so I never cast rune. Actually I would even change the game in a way that @ could have only 1 rune on the field so the above would not be possible.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2018, 15:32   #64
Moving Pictures
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevansau View Post

WSW
SW
WRW
WWRW
WWWRW
WWWWRW
WWWWWRW
WWWWSW

Ooooo.... I likey. I tried runes with another char, but found them of no use, because the summoned critters could break it without much effort. But I can't fiigure out how it could be employed outside of a vault situation ... but I'm welcome to input.

Would it also make sense to park some runes on both sides of an opening (say a vault) so that outbound nasties can't summon multiples?

PS: offed Osse, after a whole bucketload of TOs and phase doors (to change positions to allow for better angle on the summoned nasties for the aforementioned TO.)
Old March 19, 2018, 14:02   #65
Moving Pictures
Adept

Sweet mother of ...

.... Sauron is kaput.
Old March 19, 2018, 15:46   #66
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Congratulations! Good luck with Morgoth.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018, 21:26   #67
Moving Pictures
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Congratulations! Good luck with Morgoth.
Actually, in the end, I had essentially over-prepared for Morgoth. In a nutshell, as long as you have enough *healing* and "life" potions, combined with enough mass banishment scrolls, and can match speed and do some damage (I was up to 37 with toys and a spell; punching out a crapton per arrow) it's just a simple matter of going to-to-toe with the old blighter.

I am now cautiously diving a kobold rogue... the first flavour got obliterated at its 12th level due to a wifey-induced accidental mouse movement at a critical moment; the second died a wretched death this morning.

This gal lucked into Collanon on the sixth level. Her life expectancy is therefore better, i would argue. And kobold means that rPois is taken care of from the get go. Plus she has a longbow of power (how a kobold is supposed to hold such a beast, I dare not fathom), so now can do the damage-at range. Dumb as a stump, though, so no mana points.

Last edited by Moving Pictures; March 23, 2018 at 00:05. Reason: Reason for edit: I am a moron.
Old March 22, 2018, 21:32   #68
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Stealth* and detection are key for Kobold rogue. Initially, it's melee is pretty weak, but its survivability is high, so long as you are careful in what monsters you face. A few magic devices (or a good bow) can help a lot. You *really* can't clear levels. But you can dive pretty fast and pick off targets of opportunity. (A few lesser hounds will level you up fast, for example.)

* I'd pick Elvenkind shield over Celegorm, given the choice, but it's a great find at DL 6 in any case.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2018, 23:32   #69
Chud
Adept

Chud is on a distinguished road
I've been grinding so much on my current game that I stayed on dungeon level 11 from CL 15 all the way to CL29....

Ok, actually, I found a potion of experience... :-)
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018, 00:04   #70
Moving Pictures
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
* I'd pick Elvenkind shield over Celegorm, given the choice, but it's a great find at DL 6 in any case.
My error, I meant "Collanon" as in the teleporty cloak.