AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old March 12, 2011, 20:09   #61
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichvonbek View Post
I'm trying to figure out what I should have done differently? I had just killed an Ancient Green, and I had the GDSM on for that. I saw Azriel coming, and I was planning on teleporting him away, but he had other ideas. Would wearing Hithlomir have made a difference? I was at something like -123 after he breathed on me.
Maybe, maybe not. Worst case (one out of six) you would still be dead with -44 points. Or you would have with +15 or more up to +152 points left in 5/6 cases. I hope you were hasted, because you would not have survived double nether breath even with best case.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2011, 20:15   #62
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Does this qualify as insta-death??? NPP. I ate an un-ID'd mushroom (of blindness + poison). 50 turns later I was dead.

I'd like to imagine it was a slow painful death, but until the very end she was unconcerned, certain that it would wear off soon. In retrospect it was probably more like a little numbness in the arm, followed by a massive stroke.

Deadly poison? Who knew?
Old March 13, 2011, 05:17   #63
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
With rSound no longer having rStun it is merely rStunFromSoundBreaths. High resists are unreliable damage reducers at best. If we are decoupling the status effects from the elemental resistances (which makes more a more intuitive system and that is good IMHO) it makes the high resists all pretty much worthless as they can't be relied on to reduce damage by a meaningful amount.

Let's just make resistances cut damage to 1/3 regardless of whether it's a low or high or whatever element.
EpicMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2011, 07:39   #64
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicMan View Post
With rSound no longer having rStun it is merely rStunFromSoundBreaths. High resists are unreliable damage reducers at best. If we are decoupling the status effects from the elemental resistances (which makes more a more intuitive system and that is good IMHO) it makes the high resists all pretty much worthless as they can't be relied on to reduce damage by a meaningful amount.

Let's just make resistances cut damage to 1/3 regardless of whether it's a low or high or whatever element.
Only confusion and sound has been affected by this change. Everything else already did only protect from their own source (except chaos which still protects against hallucination against all sources I think).

I think 1/3 is too much. Having resist would render high element completely harmless then. More like make it fixed 5/6 or 3/4 or so. I'd prefer same insecurity I had before. I never trusted high elements before and used them only to prevent effects. I still would use confusion to prevent confusion and dark & light against blindness if I don't have real blindness resist. Stunning is not that common, plasma, gravity, impact maybe water caused it, so impact to gameplay is quite small.
Old March 13, 2011, 21:34   #65
Raxmei
Apprentice

Raxmei is on a distinguished road
Once again mistook Gorlim for a novice ranger and got double mana bolted.
Raxmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2011, 21:55   #66
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxmei View Post
Once again mistook Gorlim for a novice ranger and got double mana bolted.
Gorlim has different color. It should be easy to distinguish from everything else.
Old March 14, 2011, 04:27   #67
Raxmei
Apprentice

Blue slate and light slate are similar enough not to be obvious outside a side by side comparison, and least with my eyes and display. Anyway I've customized his color since then because for me it was a recurring problem.
Old May 26, 2011, 02:40   #68
ChodTheWacko
Adept

ChodTheWacko is on a distinguished road
I use detect monster pretty frequently, so It was pretty stunning to kill a room of stuff, be at full health, take one step and *boom*

Breathed on by Tarrasque.

Getting instadeathed down to -1 hit points has to be the most annoying thing ever.

- Frank
ChodTheWacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 03:02   #69
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChodTheWacko View Post
I use detect monster pretty frequently, so It was pretty stunning to kill a room of stuff, be at full health, take one step and *boom*

Breathed on by Tarrasque.

Getting instadeathed down to -1 hit points has to be the most annoying thing ever.

- Frank
I'm not sure. Forgetting to wear FA in CGV fighting Dracolisk after nearly emptied said CGV and almost all of your gear upgraded might count even worse.

I think it was Pete who died to "orc leader, the orange "c"". Hilarious to rest of us, must have been rather irritating to him.
Old July 9, 2011, 23:13   #70
Raxmei
Apprentice

Just had my first real instadeath in a long time. Adventuring on dlvl 30-something, turned a corner and got a double poison breath from a basilisk. First breath took me down to 45 hp, next one down to -170.