Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 14, 2011, 13:24   #1
dhegler
Adept

dhegler is on a distinguished road
The "classic" Hack

Just wondering, how many people have ever played the original Hack, or PC Hack? At least before it turned into NetHack 3.x? I thought it started to get kind of tedious at Nethack 3.x, but played HOURs of the original Hack / PC Hack. Also, I just ran across an MS-DOS compiled PC Hack / Nethack 1.4. When there are stores, ghosts, wands of wishing, etc... If anyone is interested, I'll post it somewhere, since it took me quite a while to find it yesterday.

And, did anyone ever beat it? And/or have a spoiler of how to teleport to the last level in the dungeon? Or, and spoilers at all, in case I want to reference them? Not much online before the NetHack 2.x and 3.x days. I seem to remember you needed to put on a rign of teleport control, drink a potion of confusion and read a scroll of teleport, then you could teleport to whatever dungeon level you wanted... I remember doing ti once, relatively early with a Wizard, saw some cool things in the last level (30 I think), and then instadeath.
dhegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011, 16:22   #2
Raggy
Apprentice

Raggy is on a distinguished road
I've played it, but not that much, played Moria though.
Raggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011, 16:24   #3
dhegler
Adept

I should also get Moria sometime. I wonder how many hours of my life I have given to these games...?

I think there was a uMoria too that I played, but I forget the difference...
Old July 15, 2011, 00:16   #4
Monkey Face
Adept

Monkey Face is on a distinguished road
I played Hack occassionally but prefered Rogue. I heard about that method of making it to the final level but never made it that far myself.
Monkey Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2011, 01:36   #5
artes
Adept

artes is on a distinguished road
I tried some early version of Hack or NetHack once. At that time I mostly played Moria, but I never won.
artes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2011, 03:55   #6
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
I played Hack and Moria as a kid, good times. Never beat either one, though I had some run-ins with the Balrog.

The Balrog.

I like saying that.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2011, 04:56   #7
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Back in my day, The Balrog was a B, and we liked it.
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2011, 21:56   #8
dhegler
Adept

What is up with a balrog being a "D" anyway... Never made it to the balrog in Moria, but may be my new summer goal. I can't get past Dlvl 6 or so in Hack. After playing Angband so long, I realize that maybe Angband is far too easy and not "random enough". When you can to 700 pts a turn damage with a weapon, doesn't feel as cool as using a +1 long sword, old D&D style.
Old July 15, 2011, 22:14   #9
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Clearly it's a "D" because it's Durin's Bane.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2011, 23:00   #10
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhegler View Post
Just wondering, how many people have ever played the original Hack, or PC Hack? At least before it turned into NetHack 3.x? I thought it started to get kind of tedious at Nethack 3.x, but played HOURs of the original Hack / PC Hack. Also, I just ran across an MS-DOS compiled PC Hack / Nethack 1.4. When there are stores, ghosts, wands of wishing, etc... If anyone is interested, I'll post it somewhere, since it took me quite a while to find it yesterday.
Yes, please post this.
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote