Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 18, 2018, 08:09   #711
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Any reason to play a plain Warrior with this branch? I've played Blackguard and Paladin during the last comp and I don't seen any reason to play a Warrior again seeing how better these two classes are now.
Old July 18, 2018, 10:36   #712
geoff_tewierik
Adept

geoff_tewierik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Any reason to play a plain Warrior with this branch? I've played Blackguard and Paladin during the last comp and I don't seen any reason to play a Warrior again seeing how better these two classes are now.
Give them the option to dual wield weapons? I recall this being a thing in the past in a variant?
geoff_tewierik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2018, 12:24   #713
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
I wouldn't regard this branch as finished yet.
Old July 18, 2018, 14:32   #714
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_tewierik View Post
Give them the option to dual wield weapons? I recall this being a thing in the past in a variant?
I've always found dual-wielding to be pretty silly, so personally I would prefer some other means of differentiation. Plus, the game gets awfully easy once you're dealing more than a certain percentage of your enemies' HP in damage per turn, so boosting offense is something to be done with care.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2018, 16:00   #715
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
At the very least, bring back the extra attack (and reduce max blows to 5.) The 6th blow is currently a mirage for HT and Dwarf, and isn't easy to get with many endgame weapons for other races.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2018, 16:05   #716
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
At the very least, bring back the extra attack (and reduce max blows to 5.) The 6th blow is currently a mirage for HT and Dwarf, and isn't easy to get with many endgame weapons for other races.
To reiterate a suggestion I made awhile back: give everyone the same blows formula, but penalize mages and priests 1 blow (to a minimum of 1/round), and give warriors a flat +1 blow starting from level 20 or 25 or something. Thus the pure casters would need to work extra hard to get their second blow/round since they'd have to get to where the formula is outputting 3 blows; meanwhile, warriors get max blows as easily as everyone else does, their max is just better.
Old July 19, 2018, 10:14   #717
Carnivean
Knight

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I've always found dual-wielding to be pretty silly, so personally I would prefer some other means of differentiation. Plus, the game gets awfully easy once you're dealing more than a certain percentage of your enemies' HP in damage per turn, so boosting offense is something to be done with care.
Does it work better when you have to choose between a second weapon and a shield? Especially if you start making AC more relevant.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018, 10:32   #718
Huqhox
Adept

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
To reiterate a suggestion I made awhile back: give everyone the same blows formula, but penalize mages and priests 1 blow (to a minimum of 1/round), and give warriors a flat +1 blow starting from level 20 or 25 or something. Thus the pure casters would need to work extra hard to get their second blow/round since they'd have to get to where the formula is outputting 3 blows; meanwhile, warriors get max blows as easily as everyone else does, their max is just better.
This sounds good to me
Old July 19, 2018, 14:22   #719
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
If you cut blows by one,
1. what does it do to +blows weapons?
2. Multiplier may need adjusting, since full casters are already pretty strongly penalized here.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018, 14:37   #720
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean View Post
Does it work better when you have to choose between a second weapon and a shield? Especially if you start making AC more relevant.
I have never seen a game where a shield was worth more than increasing your damage output by 50% or more. Plenty have tried, none have succeeded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack
If you cut blows by one,
1. what does it do to +blows weapons?
2. Multiplier may need adjusting, since full casters are already pretty strongly penalized here.
1. I guess +blows would need to apply after the -1 blow from being a pure caster.
2. Multiplier would be the same for all characters, just where the formula outputs 3 a pure caster would get 2 and a warrior (once high-enough level) would get 4.