AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 30, 2015, 13:44   #21
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Never is the excessive word in that. They are sometimes useful as swaps. Otherwise, not so much. You need to get absolutely insanely powerful char from the object before aggravating becomes no-issue. The One Ring is borderline item to tip that scale, if you can combine it with other aggravating extremely powerful item that you wouldn't usually use, then probably worth it. But that's where I draw a line, Deathwreaker for example isn't powerful enough as single item to be used as anything than swap.
I tend to find that for me Deathwreaker is powerful enough to justify wielding it, depending on the @ class. A mage or rogue, maybe not. But a warrior, almost definitely. I do wield a light weapon as a swap on initial arrival at a level in order to do detection checks and planning (Sting is great for this), but then it's "Come to Papa" time!

Then again...in my mind @ is becoming more of a "Dark Lord" himself by that point, ready to supplant both Sauron and Morgoth, take his crown and rule.
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2015, 15:59   #22
MadeOfBees
Scout

MadeOfBees is on a distinguished road
My precious.
MadeOfBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015, 14:02   #23
Cold_Heart
Adept

Cold_Heart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I assume you mean Deathwreaker? Typically artifacts that have aggravation have them precisely because they are so powerful.

Aggravation shouldn't be a dealbreaker though. What about it is so awful?
Deep inside enemy territory, alone, surrounded by countless hordes of terrifying enemies led by even more terrifying enemy generals, the last thing you would want is to alert everyone of your presense.

There is not as much broken about aggravation itself as about stealth since once things are awake they never stop chasing you.

If aggravation worked in some limited small radius, and things were to stop chasing the @ and go back to sleep once they can't find the @ anymore, that would probably make aggravate items useful for me.
Cold_Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015, 14:59   #24
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold_Heart View Post
Deep inside enemy territory, alone, surrounded by countless hordes of terrifying enemies led by even more terrifying enemy generals, the last thing you would want is to alert everyone of your presense.
Nah, if you're powerful enough, then the fact that everyone is beelining your position is not a big deal. The artifacts that have aggravation are typically very powerful, intentionally to make this tradeoff tempting.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2015, 17:12   #25
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Quote:

There is not as much broken about aggravation itself as about stealth since once things are awake they never stop chasing you.

If aggravation worked in some limited small radius, and things were to stop chasing the @ and go back to sleep once they can't find the @ anymore, that would probably make aggravate items useful for me.
For an example of Deathwreaker's potential, check out http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=17682

Sure, upon arrival on a level @ shouldn't be wearing it, but a convenient shovel or even fists are just fine. In fact, in this example, after finding Deathwreaker Galadriel went with bare fists on entry to all but the last level when she donned a recently found Sting. Don't knock bare fists, they do a reasonable amount of damage at the high levels and with good non-weapon gear modifications to hit and damage output. Some time ago, Ronda, my half-troll mixed martial arts warrior, took up MattB's challenge and managed a win using only fists the entire game.

Aggravation isn't really a problem with a high powered @, and in fact may be a benefit. Getting the monsters to flow to you for the slaughter saves time.
Old May 4, 2015, 02:43   #26
Goldbug
Scout

Goldbug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeOfBees View Post
My precious.
My precious.

FTFY
Goldbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2015, 04:33   #27
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Quote:
Deep inside enemy territory, alone, surrounded by countless hordes of terrifying enemies led by even more terrifying enemy generals, the last thing you would want is to alert everyone of your presense [sic]....
At some point, those countless hordes of terrifying enemies and even more terrifying enemy generals would, if they had any sense, be absolutely petrified of the truly terrifying @! He's slaughtered townfolks and monsters by the hundreds and even thousands. All that death and destruction leaves its mark on the psyche. It's no wonder he'll often wield Morgoth's crown in the end. Aggravation items shouldn't necessarily be avoided. There comes a time to announce, "There's a new Dark Lord in town, and his name is @! Come to me and despair!"
Old May 4, 2015, 05:07   #28
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

For those @ who eschew donning "evil" equipment, I am wondering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
....There's actually already a tiny bit of new terrain (lava and a new type of rubble) already in 4.0....

now that there's lava around, if @ is lucky enough to find the One Ring, can @ just kill Sauron by throwing the thing into a pool of lava?
Old September 2, 2015, 06:27   #29
Arphod
Apprentice

Arphod is on a distinguished road
I've found The One exactly once, since playing from Frog-Knows. And Morgoth dropped it.
was H2SO4.
Arphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2015, 14:36   #30
kandrc
Swordsman

kandrc is on a distinguished road
I once, out of curiosity, loaded the One in wizard mode as my first action of the game. Put it on, otherwise naked, and started diving. Ridiculously easy and fast "win". I think it was a warrior, but I don't recall; too long ago. With an item that powerful, aggravation is a non-issue. That was the old experience-drain mechanic. Last found it a few weeks ago. The experience drain was much more noticeable, enough so that doing this today may be difficult or even impossible, but if I'm already up to clvl 30-ish, I wouldn't think twice about it, regardless of depth or other gear.
kandrc is offline   Reply With Quote