AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 21, 2020, 04:05   #11
candidgamera
Rookie

candidgamera is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
Given that you have found the font you are looking for in the old DOS version, you could try taking screenshots of the DOS font and importing them into something like FontForge. It's a lot more work than the font converter, but probably easier than scouring the internet for something similar, and it should get you exactly what you want.
I am considering that as my ultimate fallback option. Thanks for the link!
candidgamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2020, 21:38   #12
backwardsEric
Apprentice

backwardsEric is on a distinguished road
From the Angband 2.9.6 code in main-ibm.c, ANGBAND.FNT has 8x16 bitmaps for 256 characters without any extra metadata. That's loaded and sent to the VGA adapter. I didn't see where MONSTERS.FNT was used in the source code, despite it being present in LIB/XTRA.

This GitHub repository has a conversion of ANGBAND.FNT to a .fon file and a related preference file for Angband 4.2 to try to map objects and terrain to how they were mapped with LIB/XTRA/GREDIT.INI in Angband 2.9.6. I tried it briefly with the Linux SDL frontend but not with the Windows frontend. Other frontends for 4.2 (curses, X11, Mac OS X) don't use lib/fonts so that repository won't help to get that font from 2.9.6 to work with those frontends .
backwardsEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2020, 05:24   #13
candidgamera
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwardsEric View Post
From the Angband 2.9.6 code in main-ibm.c, ANGBAND.FNT has 8x16 bitmaps for 256 characters without any extra metadata. That's loaded and sent to the VGA adapter. I didn't see where MONSTERS.FNT was used in the source code, despite it being present in LIB/XTRA.

This GitHub repository has a conversion of ANGBAND.FNT to a .fon file and a related preference file for Angband 4.2 to try to map objects and terrain to how they were mapped with LIB/XTRA/GREDIT.INI in Angband 2.9.6. I tried it briefly with the Linux SDL frontend but not with the Windows frontend. Other frontends for 4.2 (curses, X11, Mac OS X) don't use lib/fonts so that repository won't help to get that font from 2.9.6 to work with those frontends .
Damn, dude. Thank you! I will give it a shot.
Old June 22, 2020, 11:36   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
tangar made a possible font for tomenet, too.
http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showpos...&postcount=156
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2020, 21:02   #15
candidgamera
Rookie

Quote:

No dice, sadly. It doesn't seem to load the font successfully in Windows. The PRF file loads and changes a bunch of things to different settings, but even when I tell the Term-0 window to explicitly load the Retro font, the visuals do not load.
Old June 22, 2020, 21:38   #16
candidgamera
Rookie

I can view the font in the Window font viewer, but that just shows the basic characters.
Old June 23, 2020, 05:02   #17
backwardsEric
Apprentice

backwardsEric is on a distinguished road
Sorry for getting your hopes up that it might work.

When I tried it (Windows 10 - didn't note which version; Angband 4.2.0), the font does load but the characters for the walls were nothing like it appeared in the SDL frontend on Linux. I don't know enough about the font files to know what has to be done differently in the font conversion so it works properly on Windows.
backwardsEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2020, 16:55   #18
candidgamera
Rookie

Quote:
Sorry for getting your hopes up that it might work.

When I tried it (Windows 10 - didn't note which version; Angband 4.2.0), the font does load but the characters for the walls were nothing like it appeared in the SDL frontend on Linux. I don't know enough about the font files to know what has to be done differently in the font conversion so it works properly on Windows.
Yeah, the effort is appreciated, though!
Old June 25, 2020, 04:54   #19
luneya
Swordsman

luneya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If ANGBAND.FNT is really just a bitmap without metadata, perhaps it's possible to trick a graphics program into loading it? That wouldn't give you a font, but it would give you something more convenient than a screenshot to import into Fontforge.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2020, 04:57   #20
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@luneya--
It takes a lot of tricking. You'd need to load it as data then write it as a bmp.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote