Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 26, 2009, 21:48   #11
Hariolor
Swordsman

Hariolor is on a distinguished road
Not sure why people insist on shooting arrows at wormtongue.

A half-decent mage should be able to off him with a couple rounds of acid balls.

As for smeagol - I'm in the "wait for later" camp. His drops suck lately, anyway, so it's not worth the effort.

I do, however, get a perverse pleasure out of buying a ton of !oil until I'm penniless, and then chasing him around DL3, dousing him. It can work, if you're patient.
Hariolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2009, 22:42   #12
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
In my experience, you won't have access to acid balls when you run into Wormtongue. If you do, you're playing a heck of a lot more cautiously than I do (and, I suspect, than the normal player does). Later on, yes, but usually when I first encounter him my highest-level attack spell is a frost bolt, IIRC.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2009, 03:27   #13
Hariolor
Swordsman

Well, I never suggested trying to kill him the first time I see him, not with a mage anyway.

Then again, I play my mages like mages, not rangers (probably why they die so much), so I am *very* cautious with them. Hence having acid reliably by the time I am serious about challenging wormy.
Old December 27, 2009, 07:50   #14
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arphod View Post
My advice is intended for v3.0.9b

Wormtongue is pretty easy:

With mage, 3 potions of speed, 2 potions of resist cold, 5 potions of cure crit, a longbow enchanted to +8+8, some arrows at +5+5, and scrolls of phase door. Maybe a wand of stinking cloud for back-up.
3 potions of speed are better used later for when you need to be faster than Ancalagon to kill him.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2009, 16:24   #15
Tobias
Adept

Tobias is on a distinguished road
Quote:
3 potions of speed are better used later for when you need to be faster than Ancalagon to kill him.
A mage that can't cast Haste when she meets Ancalagon has bigger problems.

For a Mage, with the cheaper spells now:
Run away from any unique until you have Firebolt. Then Bolt him till he gets close then m1c and repeat.
Run away from any caster/breather until you have the correct resistance. Then bolt him from without moving (especially if he casts traps).
Run away from any resist all guy until you can meteor smash him ( or find a good bow).

don't forget that with some +speed (like 2 rings of escaping)and Regen you get spellpoints faster then most guys regen hp.

For later: Rift and some mana restoreer can chow through almost everything.

I have been playing my current mage as a pure mage. http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=9707
Have killed only half a dozen uniques and some multi hued dragons with arrows.
Pay attention to when I killed Smeagol.
Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2009, 16:30   #16
Arphod
Apprentice

Arphod is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hariolor View Post
Well, I never suggested trying to kill him the first time I see him, not with a mage anyway..
I kill him the first time I see him. Or he kills me. I typically find and kill Worm within a half-hour of starting a mage. It marks the beginning of real play, i.e., the beginning of a dive to stat-gain, and the end of the annoying but necessary birth of a character.

He's pretty easy. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.
was H2SO4.
Arphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2009, 21:47   #17
Hariolor
Swordsman

Quote:
I kill him the first time I see him. Or he kills me. I typically find and kill Worm within a half-hour of starting a mage. It marks the beginning of real play, i.e., the beginning of a dive to stat-gain, and the end of the annoying but necessary birth of a character.

He's pretty easy. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.
He can be very easy. But, Slow + Stinking Cloud x2 = dead @

Usually the first couple times I bump into him, between say DL 5 and 15, I am way too weak to gamble on his behavior being benign.
Old December 28, 2009, 02:44   #18
Arphod
Apprentice

Arphod is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hariolor View Post
He can be very easy. But, Slow + Stinking Cloud x2 = dead @

Usually the first couple times I bump into him, between say DL 5 and 15, I am way too weak to gamble on his behavior being benign.
Noted. But if you prepare for the inevitable encounter around 500ft, and have the kit on-hand that I posted earlier, most importantly potions of speed, Worm slowing you is far less of a problem. Worm's slow only lasts for a few turns, anyway. Oh, and I believe I also said to have a few potions of cure critical wounds with you. If you take a stinking cloud in the face, you drink one. Then you're good. With a good bow, Worm won't be alive very long. Alternatively, if you have an ethical (or whatever) problem using a bow, then save wands of stinking cloud, maybe about 3. They work just fine, and they don't have a die roll in their damage, which means that Worm takes a set amount of hurt every time you shoot him. And he doesn't resist poison (v3.0.9b).
was H2SO4.
Arphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2009, 07:39   #19
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Noted. But if you prepare for the inevitable encounter around 500ft, and have the kit on-hand that I posted earlier, most importantly potions of speed, Worm slowing you is far less of a problem. Worm's slow only lasts for a few turns, anyway.
The OP was talking about a fast (or non-slow) diving character. If you meet Wormtongue at cl 7, on your first or second dive, he's fairly a hard target.
The easiest thing to do then is to wait for him to come back later, when he's likely to drop something better anyway.

(In UnAngband, he shows up at dl 5 as a minor boss. And at cl ~5, he's pretty much impossible to kill without using a bit of guile and a lot of mushrooms.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote