Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 8, 2013, 21:19   #51
Oramin
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 371
Oramin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I'll freely admit I started only skimming posts pretty quickly in this thread.

But I can't imagine that you're making any friends when your argument starts from the supposition that the activity someone is performing is a crime.

1) This is a singleplayer game.
2) How you play the game does not affect my enjoyment of the game.
3) If the reverse is not true, then it is your problem, not mine.

The only exception to this is the ladder, since it exists in part so people can compare each others' performance. But you said earlier that the ladder wasn't why you were having this argument. Is it just because you think everyone would have more fun if they played without full monster memory? Clearly that's not the case; plenty of people are posting in this thread saying "Yeah, I tried that and I have more fun doing things my way". So what, exactly, are you trying to accomplish here?

I can't think of anything that can't be answered by pointing to item 3 in the list above.
Then, Derakon, why don't you read the entire post before you comment?

I've done you the courtesy of reading your posts (and every other post in this thread, for that matter) in their entirety and carefully considering your arguments. If you believe the game should be changed then do me the same courtesy.

Maybe this sentence would have made a difference:

Quote:
Yes, I realize that there's a difference between a game and real life but this is just an analogy to explain a point.
And, if it is truly the case that how other people play the game is irrelevant, then may I conclude that you are endorsing removing *all* cheat flags - including the one for infinite lives?
Oramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2013, 21:21   #52
Oramin
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 371
Oramin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzilla77 View Post
Based on that logic - monster memory should be wiped at the start of every character (not how it is now) and using saved or accumulated monster memory should be a cheat.

Like I said, I don't care either way, but the "I get the convenience cuz I played 60, 600 or 6000 hours in the game, but you don't, noob" doesn't feel like the right mechanic.
I take it you missed MattB's answer to your earlier question?

Quote:
Before you went out into the big bad dungeon on your own, your Daddy sat you down on his knee and told you everything he knew about the baddies that lurk within, in the hope that you might come back to see him with all of your limbs attached. Someof the knowledge was passed down to him from his father, and his father's father and so on.

It should only work with dynasties (e.g. Funt I, Funt II, Funt III etc).
Oramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2013, 21:31   #53
Oramin
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 371
Oramin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatha View Post
If you label something a cheat option, lots of players won't think about it and will assume it's a generally less enjoyable way of engaging with the game. I know if I came across a game I'd tend to take it at its own terms. I might play around with 'options', but I'd be quite likely to just use defaults, and unlikely to use options labelled as 'cheat' until I was familiar enough with the game to judge for myself.

You have some duty as a game designer to label the enjoyable ways to play. I think this is debo's point. Leaving it as a cheat option should be a statement that this is something which makes the game easier but a large majority of people will find less satisfying (such as infinite lives). If it's a majority but not a large one, it could be sensible to have it as an option, but not a default one. If a majority of players are likely to find it more satisfying, there's a good case for it being the default option.
A reasonable argument.

I wouldn't make that assumption, however, about seeing something labeled a cheat option. I would just regard it as an option provided for the players to goof around with or learn more about how the game works. I woudn't regard it as necessarily a less enjoyable way to play.
Oramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2013, 21:54   #54
DaviddesJ
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Burlingame CA
Age: 57
Posts: 254
DaviddesJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I'll note that the only times, so far, that I've seen an argument with DaviddesJ end are when the other party gives up and walks away. As far as I can tell, he is physically incapable of letting anyone else have the last word in any discussion.
Looks like I'm winning this argument without even having to join it.
DaviddesJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2013, 21:57   #55
Oramin
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 371
Oramin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
Looks like I'm winning this argument without even having to join it.
It does kind of seem that way. Give it a bit longer.
Oramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2013, 21:57   #56
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 55
Posts: 8,398
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Well, dzilla77 and Scatha have convinced me - I'm making it not a cheat option in FAangband. Also, I'm going to relabel all the other cheat options as debug options.

Who am I to tell any alphabet-slaughterer who plays FA that they're a cheat?
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2013, 21:59   #57
Oramin
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 371
Oramin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Well, dzilla77 and Scatha have convinced me - I'm making it not a cheat option in FAangband. Also, I'm going to relabel all the other cheat options as debug options.

Who am I to tell any alphabet-slaughterer who plays FA that they're a cheat?
Go for it - your game, your rules. Are you also removing Probing spells (if they exist in that variant)?
Oramin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2013, 22:56   #58
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 55
Posts: 8,398
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramin View Post
Go for it - your game, your rules. Are you also removing Probing spells (if they exist in that variant)?
No - having some useless spells can be the punishment for using that option
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2013, 23:07   #59
dzilla77
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 9
dzilla77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Well, dzilla77 and Scatha have convinced me - I'm making it not a cheat option in FAangband. Also, I'm going to relabel all the other cheat options as debug options.

Who am I to tell any alphabet-slaughterer who plays FA that they're a cheat?
I suspect you are being facetious, but if not, don't misconstrue what I am saying - if foreknowledge prior to playing is cheating, then, in my opinion, so is foreknowledge gained from prior characters when starting a new character.

I rather like the discovery myself and will probably never submit a character to a comp or ladder anyway, so keeping it as a cheat is fine with me- but I think it should be erased when you start a new character.

I *might* be convinced that a win could provide the knowledge.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2013, 23:10   #60
dzilla77
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 9
dzilla77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramin View Post
I take it you missed MattB's answer to your earlier question?
No, I read it, laughed, and moved on - doesn't justify the game mechanic. Most characters get killed before they have a chance to start a family anyway.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monster Memory Question Stornor Vanilla 3 September 10, 2012 17:00
Monster Memory, take 2? buzzkill Idle chatter 1 September 8, 2012 06:32
Some thoughts on Monster Memory Tobias Vanilla 17 May 29, 2011 16:43
Monster memory TJS Vanilla 13 August 8, 2009 19:40
Files for Monster Memory? geoff_tewierik Vanilla 4 May 25, 2009 03:58


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.