Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old June 11, 2014, 14:51   #481
Infinitum
Swordsman

Infinitum is on a distinguished road
The way the Sil system ties simple mechanics to simulation is beautiful and should not be changed under any circumstances. Besides, the early game is chancy enough without making early armor even more important than it currently is.

As for items only providing positives "making you feel awesome" and "being good game design".. eh. To each his own I suppose; I quite like weighing pros and cons against eachother, and having a naked player character as the baseline makes more sense than an arbitrary maximumally cumbersome armor or whatever.
Infinitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2014, 14:55   #482
intently
Scout

intently is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitum View Post
The way the Sil system ties simple mechanics to simulation is beautiful and should not be changed under any circumstances. Besides, the early game is chancy enough without making early armor even more important than it currently is.

As for items only providing positives "making you feel awesome" and "being good game design".. eh. To each his own I suppose; I quite like weighing pros and cons against eachother, and having a naked player character as the baseline makes more sense than an arbitrary maximumally cumbersome armor or whatever.
Sure, I can see how these design choices make sense for the Sil player community. And I understand that the goal is to make a game that "some people love", rather than "lots of people like".

But there's a reason that most games don't have gear and abilities with lots of penalties to balance against each other
intently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2014, 20:55   #483
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by intently View Post
My overall point is that it is less fun to trade off penalties than to trade off bonuses. I'd rather choose between [+2,1d4] and [+0,2d5] than between [-1,1d4] and [-3,2d5], even though the choices are functionally equivalent.
Why is it more fun to gain melee and evasion by wearing rags instead of being naked? I simply do not understand this. I really try, but how is that related to any kind of fun? It actively removes choices from the game - no point in staying away from the awkward great helm or the gauntlets with melee penalty anymore, the first armour is always an upgrade then.

D&D derived games usually have no armour penalties, because evasion and armour is represented by the same abstract number "armour class" - so you can't really model a trade off with that. That these systems are so common is not due to superior design, but due to path dependency (just like qwerty-keyboards).
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2014, 21:04   #484
intently
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
Why is it more fun to gain melee and evasion by wearing rags instead of being naked? I simply do not understand this. I really try, but how is that related to any kind of fun? It actively removes choices from the game - no point in staying away from the awkward great helm or the gauntlets with melee penalty anymore, the first armour is always an upgrade then.
I agree, it doesn't make sense that rags would be better than being naked. If one were inclined to pursue this direction of modification, it would make sense to give an explicit evasion and to-hit bonus for naked characters.
Old June 11, 2014, 21:10   #485
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
But that's just inflation. You'd have to make every effect that query's evasion or attack stronger and you'd be almost exactly where you started, except suddenly characters have 5500 HP (I'm looking at you, void-diving TOME). There might be a slight personal effect, but it's just not worth rebalncing around.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2014, 21:23   #486
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I'm with taptap & Infinitum on this one. I find the penalty to evasion representing the weight of armour aesthetically pleasing & the fact that Sil doesn't go the whole cool! MEGA BONUS STUFF path one of it's major attractions.

I played TOME 4 a bit & while it's a great fun game, having thousands of hp and doing hundreds of damage points wore thin on me. The day Sil starts having SUPER HIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (ok, ok it does have criticals!!!) & FEEL GOOD BONUS!!!!. YOU ARE A SUPERHERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MEGA MOVE!!! WOW!!! kind of stuff is the day it loses it's charm for me.

Ok, I'll stop being silly now & just say, I prefer it the way it is now. I know you don't really mean it the way I've put it above, just exaggerating for emphasis.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2014, 21:45   #487
intently
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Ok, I'll stop being silly now & just say, I prefer it the way it is now. I know you don't really mean it the way I've put it above, just exaggerating for emphasis.
I shouldn't have tried to recommend a "fix", but should instead have left my "least liked feature" to stand on its own
Old June 11, 2014, 21:51   #488
locus
Adept

locus is on a distinguished road
I think it would be a good idea for robes to provide +1 Evasion to make them equivalent with cloaks. You would not need to give rags +1 Evasion: in this manner, you could make robes actually better than rags, which they currently are not and it's sort of silly.
locus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2014, 01:24   #489
T-Mick
Adept

T-Mick is on a distinguished road
For what it's worth, using a robe or cloak to conceal your exact body position is a legitimate and historical technique in duels, and would be a good justification to give robes +1 evasion.
T-Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2014, 02:32   #490
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by intently View Post
I shouldn't have tried to recommend a "fix", but should instead have left my "least liked feature" to stand on its own
Nah, that would of been a shame. Maybe just ignore my comment, I think I was a little sleep deprived when I wrote that.

+1 on robes is kind of interesting, I don't think I've ever used them. Would make robes of permanence a little more enticing.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote