Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old December 5, 2010, 23:01   #1
Mangojuice
Z+Angband Maintainer

Mangojuice is on a distinguished road
Z+ 0.3.3 - call for feature requests

So I've gotten my development environment back up and am working on Z+ version 0.3.3 for near-term release.

What's definitely going to change:
* There's a bug that applies your melee weapon +to_h when you shoot a bow or throw
* The Vista crash-on-loading bug
* Occasional "fatal error!!" crashes when hallucinating
* Turn count will be included in character dumps
* Dawn & Dusk: transition from day to night and vice versa, when outside, will be more gradual.
* Rods of perception will not expend charge when ID is cancelled

Any other suggestions? I'm looking for things that are easy to hack in, rather than grand ideas, so minor tweaks are just fine.

One idea I'm toying with adding for v0.3.3 is more containers. Right now there are three types of quivers, that only carry ammo. I definitely am not up to adding generic containers (e.g. using empty chests to carry anything) because it's a whole other level of annoying to deal with containers-in-containers. But there could be potion cases, scroll cases, food bags, etc.

I think it would have too great an effect on the game to have fireproof scroll cases or coldproof potion cases, at least at the moment. Even having such containers at all could be a big deal but I see potential to keep things balanced by making the containers have a relatively low quantity limit: for instance a potion case could hold only 18 potions, say. Which is great if what you want is to carry around 12 different sorts of potions, not so great if you want to have a lot of any one. Thoughts?
Mangojuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2010, 02:55   #2
RogerN
Swordsman

RogerN is on a distinguished road
One issue that I still encounter (though very rarely) is that sometimes when entering a dungeon level the player is placed in the same tile as a monster. The game does not crash immediately, but it will crash if the monster wakes up. This problem seems to happen more frequently when orcs abound, but that's probably just because they appear in such large numbers.

Regarding containers I would see additional container types as a detriment to gameplay. Quivers for ammunition make sense, but other object types seem way too powerful to be able to carry many flavors without penalty.

Something like Sangband's blanket of elemental protection would be nice.
RogerN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2010, 05:14   #3
Mangojuice
Z+Angband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerN View Post
One issue that I still encounter (though very rarely) is that sometimes when entering a dungeon level the player is placed in the same tile as a monster. The game does not crash immediately, but it will crash if the monster wakes up. This problem seems to happen more frequently when orcs abound, but that's probably just because they appear in such large numbers.

Regarding containers I would see additional container types as a detriment to gameplay. Quivers for ammunition make sense, but other object types seem way too powerful to be able to carry many flavors without penalty.

Something like Sangband's blanket of elemental protection would be nice.
Thanks. Two quick questions: 1. I imagine the monster-on-the-player tile bug happens in quests; do you remember it happening in a quest to kill mages by any chance? Anything you can remember about when that happens would be helpful. 2. The blanket of elemental protection - what does it do exactly? I take it it protects your stuff from elemental things that kill it somehow... I'm not so interested in protecting high level potions / scrolls / staves, but there are actually (rarely) basic spellbooks that aren't harmed by fire.
Old December 6, 2010, 17:54   #4
RogerN
Swordsman

1. Every instance I can remember has been in a quest, but given the disproportionate amount of time that I spend doing quests that really doesn't prove quest specificity. I know I've run into the bug when doing quests to kill orcs and minor demons.

2. The blanket of elemental protection is an item that goes into your inventory. Supposedly it protects items in your backpack from being destroyed by the elements. I say "supposedly" because when I find one of these blankets it's inevitably the secretly-cursed variety which immediately burns half of my scrolls and staves the instant I pick it up
Old December 6, 2010, 18:23   #5
camlost
Sangband 1.x Maintainer

camlost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerN View Post
2. The blanket of elemental protection is an item that goes into your inventory. Supposedly it protects items in your backpack from being destroyed by the elements. I say "supposedly" because when I find one of these blankets it's inevitably the secretly-cursed variety which immediately burns half of my scrolls and staves the instant I pick it up
I <3 Leon.
Old December 7, 2010, 20:42   #6
RogerN
Swordsman

A couple random requests:

1. Scrolls of Weapon Branding automatically attempt to brand your equipped melee weapon. Could this be changed to prompt the user for any weapon in the inventory? I've wasted some scrolls before by not knowing about this slight inconsistency (vs Enchant Weapon or Enchant Armor). As long as you're at it, it would be wonderful if ammunition could also be branded

2. I assume that !Heroism and ?Blessing only affect melee skill. If that is the case, I'd love to see a potion or scroll that temporarily buffs shooting skill. If the aforementioned items already boost shooting skill then their descriptions could be improved to mention this.

And now for a public service announcement. Players using the roguelike keyset should avoid wielding Trump weapons when possible:
Code:
y [move north-west]
y [move north-west]
y [move north-west]
Teleport (y/N)? y
The Ancient green dragon breathes poison.  You die.
For those that don't understand the above... Trump weapons induce random teleportation. Every 100 turns or so, the game asks you if you would like to teleport. Since the default response is 'No' you can quickly get into the (bad) habit of clearing the prompt by pressing the movement key for the direction in which you were already traveling. This works great unless you happen to be traveling north-west using the roguelike keyset [y].
Old December 8, 2010, 20:26   #7
Roch
Adept

Roch is on a distinguished road
I think there may be a way around this -- I have a dim recollection that if you inscribe the weapon with a period (?) it will cancel a teleport. I may be off on this though and I'm not certain it works with the roguelike keyset but I think it should . . . anyone? I think I read it in the macro faq -- I'll go back and check it tonight.
Roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2010, 21:34   #8
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I believe you're correct: inscribing an item with random teleportation with "." will prevent the teleportation prompt so long as the item is not cursed (if it is cursed, then it will teleport you without prompt regardless of inscription).
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2010, 01:20   #9
Mangojuice
Z+Angband Maintainer

1. Scrolls of weapon branding: Can do. No point making them possibly wasted, and at the stage in the game when you find them, you probably need to be able to enchant arrows or they aren't much good.

2. Heroism / Blessing: Actually, these give you a bonus to your "to_h" which affects both melee and missile. In fact there's a bug in the game right now which makes your melee weapon +to_h affect your hit chances with a bow. I'll adjust the description; I'll say they affect your "accuracy," which should cover it.

3. Teleport: That's right, an inscription with a . in it will prevent you from even being asked about teleportation when it's voluntary. Now, if you want to avoid this problem *without* suppressing the query, so that you could still use the random teleportation on some occasions, I don't know what to tell you.
Old December 10, 2010, 21:33   #10
RogerN
Swordsman

Another possible oversight - Gorlim, betrayer of Barahir, has a ridiculously high armor class (120), which puts him well above the Serpent of Chaos. Isn't that a bit much for a depth 56 monster?